Page 1 of 1

If I rail two PD together I get less SMP than one at a time

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:02 am
by king171717
If I rail two PD together I get less SMP than one at a time. Shouldnt it be the same value of SMP left over. I am just wondering.
Here if I send one at a time on same turn.

Image

RE: If I rail two PD together I get less SMP than one at a time

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:03 am
by king171717
Rail together at the same time.

Image

RE: If I rail two PD together I get less SMP than one at a time

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:59 am
by RedLancer
Congestion....

RE: If I rail two PD together I get less SMP than one at a time

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:08 pm
by king171717
ORIGINAL: RedLancer

Congestion....

So your saying never combine two units at the same time to rail.

As railing one and then the other on the same turn uses less SMP.


RE: If I rail two PD together I get less SMP than one at a time

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:31 pm
by loki100
ORIGINAL: king171717

ORIGINAL: RedLancer

Congestion....

So your saying never combine two units at the same time to rail.

As railing one and then the other on the same turn uses less SMP.


if you move them as a stack you force them over exactly the same set of rail hexes, if you move them separately the second one will find a variant of the route, perhaps with less existing usage.

if there is only one route it makes no difference but even in say August 1941 two units at Berlin can find different routes to the border, even if from the 1941 border to a given part of the front there is only one viable line

or, yes, tend to move them one by one if you can

RE: If I rail two PD together I get less SMP than one at a time

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:13 pm
by king171717
ORIGINAL: loki100

ORIGINAL: king171717

ORIGINAL: RedLancer

Congestion....

So your saying never combine two units at the same time to rail.

As railing one and then the other on the same turn uses less SMP.


if you move them as a stack you force them over exactly the same set of rail hexes, if you move them separately the second one will find a variant of the route, perhaps with less existing usage.

if there is only one route it makes no difference but even in say August 1941 two units at Berlin can find different routes to the border, even if from the 1941 border to a given part of the front there is only one viable line

or, yes, tend to move them one by one if you can

These are rail over the exact same line as there is only one way to go.

I guess what i am getting at, is they should both be the same SMP value but they arent.

RE: If I rail two PD together I get less SMP than one at a time

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:19 pm
by king171717
However, trying this with two MD units, they are the same SMP if rail together or one at a time.



RE: If I rail two PD together I get less SMP than one at a time

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:52 pm
by king171717
Maybe this will help

Just one selected

Image

RE: If I rail two PD together I get less SMP than one at a time

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:53 pm
by king171717
Both Selected

The rail load value changes with two, which it doesnt if i selected two MD to rail

Image

RE: If I rail two PD together I get less SMP than one at a time

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:15 pm
by Joel Billings
Could you try moving them one at a time in a different order. I can't explain it, and it a quick few tests I ran they always matched, so I will need a save that I can run to see what's happening. The divisions are big enough that one moving down the track could cause the cost to go up. If one division was bigger than the other and happened to trigger some hexes to go to a higher cost, it might matter which one moves first. That's the only thing I can think of.

RE: If I rail two PD together I get less SMP than one at a time

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:19 pm
by king171717
ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Could you try moving them one at a time in a different order. I can't explain it, and it a quick few tests I ran they always matched, so I will need a save that I can run to see what's happening. The divisions are big enough that one moving down the track could cause the cost to go up. If one division was bigger than the other and happened to trigger some hexes to go to a higher cost, it might matter which one moves first. That's the only thing I can think of.

I think the problem is it changing the rail load value when two are selected. Which normally doesnt happen. I will share a save game.

File is too large, so I shared it in tech support. Thanks Joel for looking into it.

RE: If I rail two PD together I get less SMP than one at a time

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:42 pm
by GibsonPete
So, Joel is hinting at what my wife tells me... size matters. [:)]