Page 1 of 1
Rise of Nations
Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:21 pm
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Yes you heard me, stop caterwauling.
My young local buddy insisted on me playing it against him.
It looks like an atypical RTS game, seems to play correctly.
But god the sprites, who drew those things? Looks like a kid in highschool with no background in what was used was in charge.
Nice enough looking for image, and of course looks mean nothing to function, but, it just looks stupid watching Royal Tigers attacking Poland.
And the solder sprites, why could they have not picked sprites that actually looked right?
Any way, has anyone else got any comments on the game?
Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:48 pm
by LarkinVB
I found it entertaining for 2 or three battles. But its not more than AoK++ and gets boring after a while. Its still about maximizing economy and rushing technology. Not much strategy involved, not speaking about tactics.
Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:19 pm
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Well isn't resource management and churning out just the right units what RTS is about
How could anyone find that boring?
Re: Rise of Nations
Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:24 pm
by brent_2
Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
But god the sprites, who drew those things? Looks like a kid in highschool with no background in what was used was in charge.
Actually an old high school friend of mine is on the graphics team, don't know exactly what he was involved with but given his background he was more likely involved in the buliding graphics and environment stuff...but who knows, he and I were big into ASL once upon a time, so at least he has a wargaming background - I haven't had time to ask him about the game too much - as I only recently got back in touch with him after 7 years and he has been busy...
Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:39 pm
by Marc von Martial
Guys, this game isn´t ment to be a "grognards dream"

. It´s a standard, maybe a tad more envolved "Build your Empire" RTS. Did you also bitch about the Hummer being the only "icon" for Mech. Infantry when you played Civilization ?
Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:53 pm
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Probably the fault of the young friend Marc, he made the game sound more detailed than it appears to be.
My beef, why can't a game that uses Germans, not at least use a tangible german tank icon of a more credible sort, like a PZ IV chassis.
Of course the problem being, what happens when Aztecs develope tanks hehe.
Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:10 pm
by brent_2
the Chacmool IV was a fearsome sight to behold :p or the Camaxtli flame tank...
Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 11:49 pm
by Blunderbuss
I've found RON to be an enjoyable game. It has plenty of options to stop it from becoming repetitive. Yes, the graphics aren't exactly state of the art, but I do like the animations of the different units. I enjoyed AOE2, but RON is a lot better.
Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 11:59 pm
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Played my first game today (not just the tutorial battles).
First impressions, plays fairly fast.
Second impressions, I don't like mouse movement blur. Look this way look that way look this way look that way.
Zoom out, zoom some more. Realise you can't zoom out enough to count.
Ok it was just one game (playing a conquer the world campaign).
But just as there are those that will flee in terror at the propect of having to individually give indivdual orders to each and every unit each and every turn, I suppose this gamer doesn't like rush here rush there rush here rush there aspect of RTS much.
Veeeeery good chance my friend is going to get his game back very soon.
That is not to say the game is no good. But I just don't like it myself.
Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:15 am
by Fallschirmjager
I like RTS...but didnt care for this one much
I cant find much wrong with it...It just didnt strike me and worth playing a second game
RTS Wargames
Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 7:01 am
by KG Erwin
There are a couple that I like, the Close Combat series and , in the past few days, I finally played Sid Meier's Gettysburg. SMG is a good effort, with the branching scenarios and emphasis on "combat stress", and I managed a decisive victory as the South after a few tries. This one has been termed a classic, and considering it came out in 1997, does offer some replay value with its imaginative multi-media presentation. For newbies to the "hard-core" games, it's a good introduction, and even for a jaded gamer, is fun to play and get immersed in.
Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:17 pm
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
I always chuckle when I see the phrase "and remember it came out in 97" (or 96 0r 98 or 99).
Sheesh I can still recall fondly things that were
cool and revolutionary in 77 and 87 hehe.
Ok 77 might be pushing it for some, but I thought rolegaming was cool

.
Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:33 pm
by Blunderbuss

Hehe, in '77 (or was it '78?) I was getting my first taste of videogaming, playing Space Invaders in filthy, noisy arcades at South Shields amusement park. I've been hooked ever since! Now, thanks to this wonderful PC and the MAME website, I can experience those old games again. Some of those old shooters are still fun to play.
Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:39 pm
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Hotu has some cool (and working) copies of some old arcade classics.
I am fond of playing Galagon (which we all know is correctly called Galaga.
They also have Galaxians (still as hard as ever) and Centipedes, as well as the very first version of Space Invaders.
They play just fine on XP by the way.
Arcades today though, only seem able to provide sit inside em major car driving type machines. That, and playing a game for a quarter seems gone too.
Most if not all my old haunts from downtown Toronto have long since had the buildings knocked down for new construction it seems. Lost a lot of old used paperback locations too.
Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:53 pm
by Blunderbuss
It's the same here. I visited Blackpool last year. This seaside resort still has plenty of arcades, but there aren't actually many different games in them. Most of the machines are for gambling, not games. As you say, the games are mind-numbingly similar (SEGA Rally, beat-'em-ups etc.).
Galaxians and Galaga are two of my favourites as well, alongside Moon Cresta, Gorf, Phoenix, Space Invaders Part Two (with colour graphics!) and Xevious. The MAME site has the lot.
Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:24 am
by Sgt.Striker
I enjoyed having to produce old guys with short pants to get knowledge as a tangible resource. My friend and i even invented the old guy song.
The pen is most definitely not mightier than the sword
Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:07 pm
by Blunderbuss
Have you tried sending your scholars into combat? They actually can fight, although their fate is rarely in doubt.

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:43 pm
by Frank W.
i played the demo. didn´t like it that much.
but i generally don´t like RT games.
the last i played was..mhhh....
can´t remember !
okay, HoI is real time but much different
scale and style.
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:19 pm
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Rise of Nations has left the building.
Yes I gave my friend his game back.
Hey it looks ok if you like RTS gaming.
It looks like it demands human to human to remain a challenge.
My experience with it, if I can figure it out, it must be fairly straightforward.
Just not my cup of tea.
We now return you to your regularly turn using Les hehe

.