Page 1 of 1

Looking for an opponent for various games

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:15 am
by Raver508
This is perhaps an innovative use of this forum, but I thought I would give it a go anyway. I'm looking for an opponent - not for any specific game, but someone with a broad interest in wargames and who likes to play various games and to share their thoughts and chat about life as we go.

I cant quite put my finger on why, but I used to have a bunch of opponents for various games who fitted that bill, but have found it harder and harder to find people to reliably play with.

I play all sorts of games - not to a particularly high standard, but I enjoy the competition and historical elements. My catalogue includes TOAW, WarPlan, most of the Gary Grigsby games, Guns of August, DC series, much of the Strategic Command games, field of glory, and a few others beside.

As you can see, lots of diversity, but I'm not an in depth expert in any particular game. So I'm looking for someone(s) with a broad, but not necessarily deep interest in the games to explore, converse and experiment with.

PM me!


RE: Looking for an opponent for various games

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:29 pm
by Mark Cherrington
I'd be happy to play. Don't know how this works with Operational Art of War?

RE: Looking for an opponent for various games

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:09 pm
by Zap
The Blitz Wargaming CLub has several of the games you mentioned. You should be able to find players for that.

Re: Looking for an opponent for various games

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:56 am
by Warric21
Raver508 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:15 am This is perhaps an innovative use of this forum, but I thought I would give it a go anyway. I'm looking for an opponent - not for any specific game, but someone with a broad interest in wargames and who likes to play various games and to share their thoughts and chat about life as we go.

I cant quite put my finger on why, but I used to have a bunch of opponents for various games who fitted that bill, but have found it harder and harder to find people to reliably play with.

I play all sorts of games - not to a particularly high standard, but I enjoy the competition and historical elements. My catalogue includes TOAW, WarPlan, most of the Gary Grigsby games, Guns of August, DC series, much of the Strategic Command games, field of glory, and a few others beside.

As you can see, lots of diversity, but I'm not an in depth expert in any particular game. So I'm looking for someone(s) with a broad, but not necessarily deep interest in the games to explore, converse and experiment with.

PM me!
While I wholeheartedly agree, I think it's important to note that, depending on the matchup (both in terms of what your opponent plays and his level of experience), "going wild" may backfire in the sense of "you played your joke army against my competitive list and still won" - just to keep in mind.

Re: Looking for an opponent for various games

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:50 am
by mainsworthy
zazajoj wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:16 am Playing together with a real player or competing against him is much more interesting and fun than competing with artificial intelligence. They say opposites attract, here I played with my friend in many games provide for the possibility of collective passing, simply put, call your friends, distribute responsibilities and take up the cause. If you do everything quickly, by the rules and without mistakes, then the bag of rewards and money you secure.
deep blue beat world champion gary kasparov at chess. just thought I throw this in :)