Page 1 of 1

Please, Mr. Sniper, Don't Assault That Tank!

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:29 am
by K62_
In my game against V2 ;) I've had quite a few units that got behind enemy lines at one time or another and reported on his movements. But they all got spotted by the same means: even though their firing range was set to 0, they decided to assault (at 1% odds or so :rolleyes: ) various AFVs passing by.

Is there a way, please, to tell these units "Don't Assault"?:eek: Also, I'd like to tell them to only fire if they are fired upon.

Is any of these possible in SPW@W?

Don't shoot, men!

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:33 am
by Kokoda
Turning the range down to 0, not 1, should work. They should not attack even if the enemy blunders into their hex....and I suspect that buttoned tank won't even know they are there.

Sounds bad, but in fact they often can not be seen by the enemy in the same hex if they don't attack and are in a defensive stance. I've had a 4-man recon squad sit in an abandoned multi-hex building while hoards of enemy entered and travelled through the building on their way to the attack. Very effective recon! I could read the unit insignia!

This '0-range' seems also to have the added advantage that they are less easy to see at greater ranges too. Keeping their hardware out of sight, I suppose!

Alternatively, you could leave the sniper assaulting the tank for the (admittedly rare) possibility that the sniper might be successful. I don't think there is anything that 'breaks' an opposing commander harder than having their Konigstiger with 120 experience successfully assaulted by chap with a bottle of petrol. They bleed for years!

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:37 am
by chief
K62
play H2h THE OPFIRE IS HANDLED DIFFERENTLY THAN IN 7.1 sorry about shouting

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:42 am
by K62_
They had the range set to 0!:( Try it, they will assault with high probability any vehicle passing by. Is there no way to stop them from assaulting :rolleyes:

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:44 am
by K62_
What's H2h and how do you get one?:D

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:15 am
by chief
Its a revised version of 7.1 modified by Panzer Leo, not to be confused with 7.1, its designed for Head to Head play but can be played against the AI. It is designed for better historical play (if Im correct) It can be down loaded from Panzer Leos site, look for his banner in these forums and click on it. You must have a seperate download of 7.1 to put it in if you intend to utilize the two versions. Be aware that his latest revision is about ready to be dropped so you'd probably be wise to wait.HTH

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:41 am
by rbrunsman
You can turn off their weapons. Go to the unit info screen and click any green weapon. It will turn red, meaning that it is Off and cannot be fired. They shouldn't assault then.

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:28 am
by Klinkenhoffen
Concur with rbunsman.

I turn each snipers weapon off before finishing the turn so that they dont go and do anything silly, like attack a AFV.

General Klinkenhoffen

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:30 pm
by Kokoda
I'll remember you said that. :cool:

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:39 pm
by Black Sabot
Problem with turning off weapons is, your units can't shoot back if they get spotted anyway.:(

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:24 pm
by Sentry
Originally posted by Klinkenhoffen
Concur with rbunsman.

I turn each snipers weapon off before finishing the turn so that they dont go and do anything silly, like attack a AFV.




I wouldnt turn my snipers weapons off.Sometimes sniper gets very good chance to attack AFV.I have had several times where russian sniper assults and destroys:eek: my PZ IV and even Tiger.Chance ratio then is usually like 30% or so.

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:31 pm
by rbrunsman
You have to remember that snipers are your best eyes in the game. It's not worth the risk to lose that benefit.

I'm playing a game right now where I have one sniper just sitting in plain sight of the enemy but he can find the sniper. It's stalled his whole advance in that area because he's affraid of what I'll see there.

But of course, I have had a US sniper kill a Tiger. V2 was seriously annoyed by that!:D

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:31 am
by VikingNo2
Still am :mad: :mad:


:p

V2 still bleeds..

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:20 am
by Kokoda
Sentry/K62

"Alternatively, you could leave the sniper assaulting the tank for the (admittedly rare) possibility that the sniper might be successful. I don't think there is anything that 'breaks' an opposing commander harder than having their Konigstiger with 120 experience successfully assaulted by chap with a bottle of petrol. They bleed for years!"

My earlier post suggested continuing psychological damage for those commanders whose Tiger is taken out by a sniper.

Readng V2's post I'd say... QED!.

It works!!!

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:58 am
by K62_
Rbrunsman, you're a genius! :) I've tested turning their weapons off and now I can drive tanks nearby endlessly :cool:

I don't think it's efficient to let your snipers assault tanks, you need a lot of snipers before you can get the AFV and they actually cost more. Plus there's the added benefit of continuing to get info that your opponent doesn't know you get :D

defensive stance is the key

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:14 pm
by MOTHER
A sniper with a' 0 'range and a defensive stance in my opinion is definatly the best of both worlds.Shut up or put up a fight when its required.Turn your weapon off,you gotta be kidding!!!:mad:

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:17 pm
by rbrunsman
Offensive or Defensive stance only matters if you are playing with C&C On.

If you've got a sniper or FO in a good spot within enemy held territory, the last thing you want him to do is take a shot at anybody. That's a sure fire way to have one dead scout. Turn off the weapons and gather intel. Shoot and die. Those are your choices.