Countering "Meteor" missiles?
Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:27 am
I am in the middle of the Kashmir Fire campaign (at around mission 7 playing India), and I have had the pleasure to encounter the Eurofighter Typhoon with 6 Meteor missiles as its loadout.
AIM-120 AMRAAMs have been bad enough (they outrange Indian planes) but the Meteor missile is just on a whole different level.
My tactics has been so far to fly at 36k and immediately turn around at the time of the missile launch, outrun the missiles and repeat the maneuver till the enemy plane runs out of ammo.
This doesn’t work with Meteors though. Due to the small profile of the missile, they get detected only at ~20nms in front of my planes, which is waaay to late to turn around (or do anything). I tried lower altitudes and other forms of dodging, but nothing worked and my planes just get decimated.
Even if I anticipate the launch exactly at 75nm (max range), it is still not a guarantee that I can outrun the missile (not to mention that many times I do not now know that I am going up against EF Typhoons and not F16-s).
Any advice how to tackle these planes / missiles?
Thanks,
AIM-120 AMRAAMs have been bad enough (they outrange Indian planes) but the Meteor missile is just on a whole different level.
My tactics has been so far to fly at 36k and immediately turn around at the time of the missile launch, outrun the missiles and repeat the maneuver till the enemy plane runs out of ammo.
This doesn’t work with Meteors though. Due to the small profile of the missile, they get detected only at ~20nms in front of my planes, which is waaay to late to turn around (or do anything). I tried lower altitudes and other forms of dodging, but nothing worked and my planes just get decimated.
Even if I anticipate the launch exactly at 75nm (max range), it is still not a guarantee that I can outrun the missile (not to mention that many times I do not now know that I am going up against EF Typhoons and not F16-s).
Any advice how to tackle these planes / missiles?
Thanks,