Page 1 of 1
War museum
Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:16 am
by joki
Hi everyone !
If I want to go to a war museum in G.B and US, where should I go ???

There should be some nice armour vehicles.
Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:35 am
by U2
The Imperial War Museum in London is superb!
Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:48 am
by Fred98
There is also a special museum in London devoted to British infantry.
Its not far from the famous home for retired soldiers - Chelsea pensioners.
Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:16 am
by Paratrooper
If you make it to the USA, the two best are the Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland - they got practically every WW2 tank there Allied, Soviet and Axis.
The other is the Patton Museum at Fort Knox, Kentucky. Also very well done.
Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:38 am
by rbrunsman
Originally posted by U2
The Imperial War Museum in London is superb!
Without a doubt, a must see!
Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:53 am
by e_barkmann
If you are going to the UK, the mecca for treadheads has to be the
Bovington Tank Museum
I have very fond memories of the place.
Plus, the Tiger 1 there is getting a new engine fitted shortly (the old one blew up) so if they get it working it will be the only operational Tiger 1 in the world. When that happens, I am booking my flight
Cheers Chris
Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:08 am
by Paratrooper
Isn't there a pretty good tank museum in Australia as well. One with a WW1 German tank?
Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:32 am
by e_barkmann
Australian War Museum (Canberra)
Plus there's a collection of tanks and bits and pieces at Puckapunyal in Victoria, not sure of the URL if there is one at all..
Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:58 am
by Fred98
There is a Mark IV WW1 tank in the AWM in Canberra.
There is a German WW1 tank in a museum in Brisbane.
Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:45 am
by Sgt.Striker
A little off Topic but the best museums in Canada are usally regimental museums in small towns and small air and naval collections;
the Eastern Air Museum outside of Halifax,the Nanton Lancaster Museum in Nanton Alberta and HMCS Sackville in Halifax come to mind.
For stops that are less out of the way,the National Aviation in Ottawa is very good,its collection includes a B-24, Lancaster,Spit,Hurricane, Sea Fury,Swordfish, and a Hind thats late of the Afgani Airforce(thanks Air enthusiast)
The National War Museum in downtown Ottawa is nothing special and only displays 2 % of the collection until the new one is finished in 2004. The real Gem is Vimy house in an out of the way wearhouse which is avialable by apoitment only,but you get a tour with a vetran,some who have actully served with the equipment,a rare treat. Highlights are a Panzer 1 and 2, A churchill bridgelayer, 3-4 diffrent kinds of Shermans, a Grant and newly restored 88. If your in Ottawa,look it up.Vimy HOuse
Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:00 am
by rbrunsman
Originally posted by Chris Merchant
Plus, the Tiger 1 there is getting a new engine fitted shortly (the old one blew up) so if they get it working it will be the only operational Tiger 1 in the world. When that happens, I am booking my flight 
Cheers Chris
Du Musee des Blindes (The Tank Museum) in Saumur, France has a working Tiger I (and a Tiger II) IIRC.
Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:36 am
by Losqualo
Originally posted by rbrunsman
Du Musee des Blindes (The Tank Museum) in Saumur, France has a working Tiger I (and a Tiger II) IIRC.
I think in Saumur only the Tiger II is operational. When Tamiya developed their 1/16 RC kit of the Tiger I with sound, they had to use the engine sound of the Tiger II, since no Tiger I with engine was available.
Tiger I Early Production Full-Option Complete Kit
At the bottom of that page there are even videos, taken while they started the Tiger II engine. What a sound!!!

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:39 pm
by Raverdave
Here is the URL for the Aussie tank museum at "Pucka"
http://www.armytankmuseum.com.au/about.htm
Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:14 pm
by joki
Thanks everone for your info !!
Now I have some places to go to during this summer !!:D
Raverdave, Australia is maybe a little to far away for this summer vacation but thanks anyway for the site tip. I will have that in mind. A friend of mine has moved to your country so I might visit him in the near future. Then I might have the chans to go to the museum.
Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:56 pm
by Frank W.
Originally posted by joki
Thanks everone for your info !!
Now I have some places to go to during this summer !!:D 
Raverdave, Australia is maybe a little to far away for this summer vacation but thanks anyway for the site tip. I will have that in mind. A friend of mine has moved to your country so I might visit him in the near future. Then I might have the chans to go to the museum.
come to germany:
panzermuseum munster:
www.alpha-q.de/munster/munster.htm
( some pics i took there )
or "wehrtechnische studiensammlung" in koblenz
( wasn´t there, but will go there next week or so )

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:16 am
by AbsntMndedProf
A little OT, but if you go to Germany, you might want to check out the
Zeppelin Museum in Friedrichshafen:
http://www.zeppelin-museum.de/firstpage.en.htm
Eric Maietta