Page 1 of 1
[1243.5] Stuttering caused by "False Contact" spamming
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:41 am
by Tagman
Hi,
I was playing the scenario Brother against Brother. The first minute all was good, game ran in normal speed.
After the initial submarine attack that sinks on of my ships, a lot of contacts are constantly spammed on my map.
I could see a lot of biological contacts in the sea and the enemy ships to the north of my sub were detected. But I should not have seen them, as I was too far away with all my submarine to pick them up.
All (>30) biological contacts & false contacts were constantly displayed and hidden, every second. They were identified contacts and no radar contacts (with the "last-seen" timer").
This made my game stutter so much, that I could not play the scenario in any way.
The task manager showed ~2GB of RAM used and ~10% usage of CPU and GPU. My hardware is not the newest gen, but should easily handle this scenario.
32GB RAM
2060 Super
Ryzen 7
Switching back to the non-beta version solved the issue. The bio contacts were not spammed, I didn't see the enemy ships and no stutter occurred.
If you really need I could create a screenshot of the error, but I would have to download the 12GB patch again

Re: [1243.5] Stuttering caused by "False Contact" spamming
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:17 pm
by Dimitris
Hi,
Does this also happen in B1253.1 ?
Re: [1243.5] Stuttering caused by "False Contact" spamming
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:24 pm
by Tagman
Hey,
It sadly still does. Here is a screenshot:

- Contact spamming.jpg (327.13 KiB) Viewed 500 times
All the contacts (without any time annotation) are popped in every 1-2seconds. Some, the ones around my ships, were correct radar detections.
The bug apparently shows me all existing contacts in the scenario. Even the rebel hideouts which are marked really late into the scenario. It starts to happens after 2minutes of in-game time.
The message log is filled with messages like this:
Code: Select all
7/16/2011 10:03:48 AM - [Colombia] Contact False Contact 3 has been lost.
7/16/2011 10:03:52 AM - [Survivors] Contact False Contact 13 has been lost.
The log file in the "logs" directory accumulated > 7000 in around 4mins of ingame-time.
I hope I could help you to nail down the bug a bug a bit more. If you need any additional info, just ask

Re: [1243.5] Stuttering caused by "False Contact" spamming
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:01 pm
by thewood1
Took a quick look. Looks like the db was updated to 493. That appears to be the only change from non-beta. But what I noted is that the biologics and a maybe some of the civilian contacts switch back and forth from auto-detect to normal. Thats whats causing the flashing. This scenario has a lot of lua in events and I suspect something is going on there. Thats all I cold glean, for what thats worth.
Re: [1243.5] Stuttering caused by "False Contact" spamming
Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:11 am
by KnightHawk75
thewood, i don't think it's the issue itself but you did help find 2 other bugs in it. I have non-beta and it's at DB 493.
In the Game_IntelReceived Event the following will never _ever_ run to set anything to autodetectable.
existing (bad):
Code: Select all
for k,v in ipairs (rebelSide.units) do
if v.dbid == 1496 or v.dbid == 1749 then --Ammo pad or Tents
local unit = ScenEdit_GetUnit({guid=v.guid})
ScenEdit_SetUnit({guid=unit.guid,autodetectable=true})
end
end
if one wanted it to actually work it would need to more like :
Code: Select all
for k,v in ipairs (rebelSide.units) do
local unit = GetUnit({guid=v.guid}); -- you must get each unit first if you are going to compare on DBID as that does not exist at the side level, only guid and name are available.
if unit.dbid == 1496 or unit.dbid == 1749 then --Ammo pad or Tents
unit.autodetectable=true;
end
end
But that would only explain why they never get set auto detectable, not why anything would be flipping back and forth or constantly reporting.
Additionally the code for Venezuela_UnitDestroyed is also bad.
(bad and throws errors)
Code: Select all
local theUnit = ScenEdit_UnitX()
if theDestroyedUnit.type ~= 'Weapon' then
...
should read (unless you also want to change theUnit to theDestroyedUnit everywhere else and rename theUnit to theDestroyedUnit for consistency with the other events):
Code: Select all
local theUnit = ScenEdit_UnitX()
if theUnit.type ~= 'Weapon' then
...
fwiw Can not replicate in non-beta (ie I dont see the contact problem in 1147.4x), wonder if in latest betas, it's allied sides report option related??? IE maybe OP or another person with 1253.1+ could try again with Command.ini, under the category [Game Preferences], DedupAlliedMessages = True to see if that gets rid of all the duplications?
Re: [1243.5] Stuttering caused by "False Contact" spamming
Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:25 am
by thewood1
There has to be some conflicting piece of lua code somewhere. The units are getting auto-detect turned off and then right back on. I think its related to the first loss of a Columbia unit. I'll poke at it a bit later.
Re: [1243.5] Stuttering caused by "False Contact" spamming
Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:23 pm
by Tagman
KnightHawk75 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:11 am
fwiw Can not replicate in non-beta (ie I do see the contact problem in 1147.4x), wonder if in latest betas, it's allied sides report option related??? IE maybe OP or another person with 1253.1+ could try again with Command.ini, under the category [Game Preferences], DedupAlliedMessages = True to see if that gets rid of all the duplications?
I checked that file and the Dedup setting was already set to True.
Re: [1243.5] Stuttering caused by "False Contact" spamming
Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:16 pm
by thewood1
I don't think this is a dedup type issue. This is a group of units having autodetect turned off and on. I can see it happening by carefully pausing and unpausing. Something changed in lua or in the db that is screwing with lua. I'm fairly sure.
Re: [1243.5] Stuttering caused by "False Contact" spamming
Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:12 am
by KnightHawk75
Tagman wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:23 pm
KnightHawk75 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:11 am
fwiw Can not replicate in non-beta (ie I do see the contact problem in 1147.4x), wonder if in latest betas, it's allied sides report option related??? IE maybe OP or another person with 1253.1+ could try again with Command.ini, under the category [Game Preferences], DedupAlliedMessages = True to see if that gets rid of all the duplications?
I checked that file and the Dedup setting was already set to True.
Well damn there goes that theory.
thewood, that's what I was figuring was happening too but saw no code existing for it to be happening every second since nothing was going on every second or minute etc only every hour, I didn't notice any 'autodetect' touching code in the destruction events either but I'll have another look, maybe there is something I missed - or maybe the gamecode behind an autodetect change is now different in the newer version and actually the cause of problem. But since I can't seem to replicate it in the non-beta yet (sorry I'm not on 12xx.x yet) not sure I'll find it till I do, normally I jump on betas but been putting this series off.