Page 1 of 1

pbem war with multiple players

Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2000 10:55 pm
by ARIS
There have been some talks before that it would be nice if a pbem war for multiple players can be created. 2 headquarters would command their troops. The various units would have assigned equipement and would be commanded by 1 commander each. The result of a battle would be good, if it is good for the purposes of the war.

I've been working on a module that would help people who would like to play in such a game. It is under development, so I post some "screens" of it because I would like to hear your opinion.

The system supports users, who will be able to create "campaigns" from some already predefined. 2 players will be the headquarters and there will be commanders for each "force" (force can be i.e. a battalion)

The module is SPWAW centric, but can be used for other games.

So,here are some links which display screens (without any functioning,no links work,also the campaign setup is just some tests):

Campaign selection: http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/aris/camp/cc3.htm

Strategical map of a campaign: http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/aris/camp/create_4.htm

Strategical map of an other campaign: http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/aris/camp/create_4_2.htm

Setting up a force: http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/aris/camp/ef.htm

Headquarters: http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/aris/camp/headquarters_htm.htm

Map of Operations: http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/aris/camp/Map%20of%20Operations.htm
=====================================

Thats all for the moments. Ideas?

[This message has been edited by ARIS (edited December 19, 2000).]

Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2000 11:34 pm
by DoubleDeuce
Excellent work ARIS! In my attempts to run such a campaign I have not yet been able to develop a major means of control for the senior commanders. What did you use for your maps? I am currently planning to use ACoW or SP3 and take screen shots as the situation develops. I will have to design the unit icons to add to the screen and I have the basic structures on that already.
What program are using to set all this up, if any (sorry I am not a programer)?

------------------

"Double Deuce on the Loose"

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2000 10:05 am
by Drex
Excellent work . Are the maps from TOAW?

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2000 11:29 am
by ARIS
Originally posted by Double Deuce:
Excellent work ARIS! In my attempts to run such a campaign I have not yet been able to develop a major means of control for the senior commanders.

Thats what this module is supposed to do. Also, it support campaign designers and supports equipement for each unit. That is my big goal here, to make each unit have assigned equipement,which will get less and less in each battle. Ofcourse there will be reinforcements, but if a commander plays badly, soon he'll be without a force to command.

What did you use for your maps? I am currently planning to use ACoW or SP3 and take screen shots as the situation develops.

Maps can be created with anything. For the moment, I exported some maps from TOAWII. But a campaign designer may choose to draw the map himself, copy if from an other game,use some GIS or whatever he likes.

I will have to design the unit icons to add to the screen and I have the basic structures on that already.
What program are using to set all this up, if any (sorry I am not a programer)?

Basically I use a web server technology called ASP (active server pages). It is a combination of Visual Basic and HTML. There is also a database behind the hole thing. And that is my problem for the moment, I don't have such a server (always connected to internet) to be able to display the hole module as it is to you. But anyone who wants, can find me on icq, and when we are both online, I could give him my (temporary) URL so that he sees it.

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2000 11:31 am
by ARIS
Originally posted by Drex:
Excellent work . Are the maps from TOAW?
Yes,I exported them from TOAWII. But maps can be any JPG image.

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2000 11:33 am
by ARIS
Currently I'm working on the battle resolve. I think it is better for the HQ's to decide if the battle,as resolved in SPWAW, should make a unit retreat, stay in place, or advance.

Also,as far as I know, SPWAW doesn't support n-1 pbem games (n players versus 1). Though I've played 2-1 online battle. Anyone played n-1 pbem game? Or n-m game?

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2000 11:38 am
by ARIS
Also I would like to know what terms to use. I.e. what is the appropriate word for "force commander" where force can be from platton to battalion or a division.

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2000 6:36 pm
by panda124c
Originally posted by ARIS:
Also I would like to know what terms to use. I.e. what is the appropriate word for "force commander" where force can be from platton to battalion or a division.
Kamphfuher, Task Force Commander, Force Commander