Page 1 of 1
Trouble with SPWAW PBEM
Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2000 6:12 am
by mfritze
Folks,
I'm having trouble with SPWAW PBEM. I have been playing several PBEM games without problems over the past few weeks. Now, I am suddenly unable to load a new turn one of my opponents has sent me. I unzip the files, select the proper slot, hit start and after a few seconds, the start button blacks out without loading the turn. What gives? This problem did not happen before. I am unable to finish my PBEM games (Frown.....)
Any help would be appreciated.
Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2000 6:20 am
by ZinZan
Have had exactly the same problem and have suspended all my PBEM games because of this and the VCR problems. Latest update (ver 4.5) is due out any time now. Hopefully (and according to what I have seen here) this will fix both these problems and several other bugs
------------------
peter@myhelliconia.freeserve.co.uk
http://www.myhelliconia.freeserve.co.uk
Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2000 6:42 am
by Paul Vebber
Secure pbem games require great care. You have to play on the same machine, in the same install you started. Make sre you both are using the same version of the game and don't upgrade in the middle.
Did the game give you any error?
What it sounds like is the file got corrupted. Have your opponant resend the turn.
IF that doesn't work, he can reload the last turn you sent and replay that turn, hopefully that will get the game going again.
Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2000 6:56 am
by ZinZan
Ok the same install and same machine requirements are probably the main cause of the turn not loading problem. My main problem is the No VCR (which I know is being fixed in the _patiently_ awaited update being prepared at this very moment.
Thank you for your quick response Paul, one of the most impressive parts of this forum is the speed by which you (and others) respond to questions. I know you are probably heartily sick of being praised (fat chance

), but SPWaW is an amazing game and has very few bugs (esp when compared to some Retail boxed games) and none of them make the game unplayable to me. One of the most professional games I have seen in 15 years of PC gaming, congratulations all.
------------------
peter@myhelliconia.freeserve.co.uk
http://www.myhelliconia.freeserve.co.uk
Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2000 7:23 am
by Wild Bill
One more thing to consider. If either of you have changed the game in any way, adding shp files, or changing oobs, etc, etc, the turn probably won't work.
The system is set up to detect changes and regards such as an attempt to cheat (though I'm sure it is not).
Wild Bill
------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games