I’ve tried several runs. Absolute does not make a difference that I can see.
I think the Do not Refuel switch is only operational at base hexes.
Ships at sea in task forces will still pull fuel from each other.
I don’t remember?….I think this is true.
It does look like the magic move is point driven. You give the task force a destination
in the open ocean or a base hex and it will go to that hex, drop the magic move status
then stop and wait there for the next turn before it will move toward home port.
Sometimes it won’t go all the way to the destination, I don’t know why, but it will stop short
and wait for the next turn to continue. When it stops short it drops it’s special magic
move status before it continues on to the destination hex. In this case it will turn around at the
destination hex and head for home port.
As far as I can see any refuel does not cause this.
So it appears that what the OP posted can happen.
I’ve never examined the magic move because I don’t consider it a valid tactic
to use outside of the historical context.
But….I did discover some other things that are disturbing:
I put this together in about 40 min. (Picture below)
Using Scenario 1 Head to Head.
If the Japanese player diverts all of the Magic Move Task Forces
To launch an Amphibious invasion of Palembang on first turn.
The Japanese took a lot of casualties because there were
2 British CL’s in the hex and the ground troops were not
Prepared but the Japanese still got a lot ashore almost 800 AV.
Just a side note: Almost none of the ground units in the magic move
Task forces are prepared for the target.
The Japanese get an unload bonus early war.
The KB was moved in to give air cover.
The KB can move all the way from Etorofu to position off Palembang in one turn.
In any case…..The Japanese capture Palembang on turn 2
with just one Deliberate attack.

- Palembang.jpg (237.48 KiB) Viewed 1748 times
In any case I'm Done.