Page 1 of 1

Some modding questions

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:42 pm
by prjw73
Hi Steve,

I have a few long overdue questions for you:
1) is it possible to activate static battle groups in GtC?
2) In GtC, what is the minimum space required for a gun to be deployed in a building? I can not deploy small guns in buildings unless I have 3x3 elements to deploy them on, or so it seems. In the vehicles file I have changed columns 'vehicular size' and 'object size' (columns 121 and 122) to 0 but that does not seem to have made a difference.
3) How is 'victory' calculated? In the campaign.txt file I find a number of percentages per day for each turn but how is victory actually calculated?
4) In GtC, is there a way to make more unit slots available without adding more companies to the forcepool?

Thanks in advance!

Pete

Re: Some modding questions

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:02 pm
by SteveMcClaire
Hi Pete,

1) In theory yes, static battlegroups should work fine. However Gateway to Caen wasn't testing with this feature so there may be issues.

2) You need a 3x3 element area of passable terrain to place any vehicle durint setup, regardless of the size.

3) Overall campaign or operation victory level is determined by finding the percentage of all available victory location points (major VL counts as 3, minor VL as 2, exit VLs as 1) held by each side. The side holding the highest percentage is consider to be currently 'winning' the campaign/operation. An advantage of < 26% is a minor victory, 26-75% is a major victory, > 75% is a decisive victory. The percentages in the campaign file are the 'historical' progress that the player's progress is measured against. So the game will say if the player is are currently winning / losing based on total victory location control and also whether you're doing better or worse than the historical situation.

4) No, the number of slots available is based on the number of men and vehicles in the force pool.

Re: Some modding questions

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:14 pm
by prjw73
Thanks ever so much for your replies, Steve!

Pete

Re: Some modding questions

Posted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:55 pm
by prjw73
Been wanting to ask about this section in the Campaign.txt for ages:
"
# NOTE: diff-base support will overwrite the old stuff further up in campaign.txt, but old lines still needed for backward compatibility
# Allied diff-based arty support per day (very weak ? strong = 5 lines)
1,1,2,2,3,4
1,2,3,4,4,5
2,4,4,6,7,8
3,5,5,7,7,8
4,5,6,7,8,9
"
My questions:
What does "diff-base" mean?
Assuming that these numbers are the quantity barrages / airstrikes etc, what is the range (0-9?)

Thanks again!

Re: Some modding questions

Posted: Tue May 30, 2023 3:42 pm
by prjw73
Answering my own question, with a little help from a friend, I now suspect "Diff" stands for difficulty :oops:

Re: Some modding questions

Posted: Tue May 30, 2023 4:42 pm
by SteveMcClaire
Hi prjw73 -- you are correct. This is the difficulty-based quantity of support available. In older versions of CC the quantity of mortar/artillery/air support was not influenced by the player's chosen difficulty level, but with the introduction of this section of the campaign.txt file the difficulty-based quantity overrides the flat quantities that are further up in the file (for backward compatibility.)

Re: Some modding questions

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:30 pm
by prjw73
Hi Steve,

I have another question as I am about to finish a mod but I am not quite happy with battle group behaviour on the strategic map.
What affects battle group behaviour on the strategic map more, the settings in the campaign file or in the battle groups file?
I set German bg's quite aggresively in the campaign file but I don't want certain battle groups to be aggressive but to be defensive. How do I accomplish that?

Thanks,

Pete

Re: Some modding questions

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:40 am
by SteveMcClaire
Hi Pete,

There aren't many things you can do to influence how an inidivdual battlegroup behaves at the strategic map AI level.

The BG commander ratings only apply to how the AI uses units within a tactical battle.

Battlegroup type is probably the best tool for what you want to do. The decision on whether to have a BG attack is weighted by the type -- from most-likely-to-attack to least likely: Armored, Armored Infantry, Airborne, Infantry, Recon, Engineer. So if you want a BG to remain defensive as much as possible, try setting its type as 'Engineer.'

You can also make a BG weaker (in terms of total number of teams in the force pool) to make it less likely to attack.

Re: Some modding questions

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:56 pm
by prjw73
Thanks Steve, I aprreciate your continued support.