Page 1 of 1

Economic way of generating a smoke screen

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:34 pm
by Tcao
Hi
wondering if the smoke screen thickness and duration in the targeted hex is associated with number of smoke rounds fired upon?
smoke.jpg
smoke.jpg (71.84 KiB) Viewed 2839 times
Can a one round with one minutes fire mission generate a good smoke screen ?

thx

Re: Economic way of generating a smoke screen

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:32 pm
by IronMikeGolf
During testing, I settled in on 1 rd/tube over a minute. My test was a Bde doing a deliberate attack vs a battalion defense that included 2 minefield belts. I put in 4 to 6 lanes and laid about 10 km of smoke (an entire valley).

It took a 155mm bn and one mortar plt to do that. The batteries and plt were all 6 tube units. I laid in using missions of three adjacent targets per firing unit, with each firing unit having 2 groups of three. I started laying it before the two breaching companies actually found the mine belts.

I usually ended up with each firing unit shooting each target twice (1 to 6, then start again). I occasionally had a minute or so gap in the smoke here and there that would last a minute.

Something to keep in mind is the Order Delay between arty missions. For US, it's 5 minutes. Add another minute for actually issuing the order and it's 6 minutes between rounds landing from hex to hex for a firing unit.