Page 1 of 1

A Couple More Issues

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:23 am
by byzantine1990
Having a blast but I noticed a couple of issues. Not sure if these are bugs or intended.

Seems like counterbattery might be undertuned. I played through Tutorial #3 and had my MLRS on call for most of the game and the enemy artillery was never spotted. I tried two hours having MLRS on counterbattery and still nothing. In both instances enemy artillery fired multiple times every turn. How often should we expect to spot artillery after they fire? Seems like you give up a lot when keeping a unit on counterbattery rather than giving them fire missions.

Also, my helicopters (AH-1) don't seem to like attacking enemy units. One of them sat in the hex next to an enemy AT unit for two turns and did not attack. Meanwhile, the enemy helicopters are absolute menaces. I set my helicopters to zero standoff range/Do or Die/maximum range but still very rarely do they attack. They seem to do fine with vehicles but seems like sitting next to a spotted infantry unit should prompt a response.

Re: A Couple More Issues

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:55 pm
by WildCatNL
Counter-battery:
Detection of hostile artillery fires by a counter-battery radar (or weapons tracking radar) is done per volley fired as follows:
- the detection of on-map artillery firing is determined by your nationality's detection rate
- the detection of off-map artillery firing is determined by the scenario designer for each 'off-map location'

Counter-battery reflects a 'higher level' capability, which may detect an artillery volley (if the counter-battery radar is emitting and aimed at the right sector). If it detects a volley your HQ will be send the location of the firing battery. If it doesn't detect, your HQ gets nothing. Note that the firing battery might have relocated by the time the counter-battery fires come in.
In high threat environments, counter battery radar wouldn't be transmitting continuously.

So, yes, that's a commander's dilemma: do I put some of my batteries on CB (to reduce the enemy's indirect fires, assuming they fire from locations you can cover) or do I dedicate all my batteries to fire into sighted enemy units.
And, related, do I keep some of batteries silent, so they are not subject to counter-battery fire until I really need them.

Helicopters: keep them on Hunt missions.

William

Re: A Couple More Issues

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:04 pm
by rake
byzantine1990 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:23 am Having a blast but I noticed a couple of issues. Not sure if these are bugs or intended.

Seems like counterbattery might be undertuned. I played through Tutorial #3 and had my MLRS on call for most of the game and the enemy artillery was never spotted. I tried two hours having MLRS on counterbattery and still nothing. In both instances enemy artillery fired multiple times every turn. How often should we expect to spot artillery after they fire?
I noticed the same in this scenario... while enemy arty continually pounded my troops crossing the open plain along Route Red 1, the 3 MLRS batteries, with counter battery orders, sat woefully quiet for over an hour. Even if the rockets didn't hit something, seems like they would have picked up on something to shoot at after the many missions 11 ACR endured.

Not saying it's a bug, just suspicious

Re: A Couple More Issues

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:52 pm
by byzantine1990
WildCatNL wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:55 pm Counter-battery:
Detection of hostile artillery fires by a counter-battery radar (or weapons tracking radar) is done per volley fired as follows:
- the detection of on-map artillery firing is determined by your nationality's detection rate
- the detection of off-map artillery firing is determined by the scenario designer for each 'off-map location'

Counter-battery reflects a 'higher level' capability, which may detect an artillery volley (if the counter-battery radar is emitting and aimed at the right sector). If it detects a volley your HQ will be send the location of the firing battery. If it doesn't detect, your HQ gets nothing. Note that the firing battery might have relocated by the time the counter-battery fires come in.
In high threat environments, counter battery radar wouldn't be transmitting continuously.

So, yes, that's a commander's dilemma: do I put some of my batteries on CB (to reduce the enemy's indirect fires, assuming they fire from locations you can cover) or do I dedicate all my batteries to fire into sighted enemy units.
And, related, do I keep some of batteries silent, so they are not subject to counter-battery fire until I really need them.

Helicopters: keep them on Hunt missions.

William
Thank you for the reply! Does on call also react to counterbattery? I assume not as quickly and it might be on a barrage mission when the battery is sighted. Also, is there any way to know if an enemy off map battery is too far for your own artillery? Seems like you could have a battery on counterbattery all day and not know that it won't work.

Re: A Couple More Issues

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:54 pm
by byzantine1990
Rake wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:04 pm
byzantine1990 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:23 am Having a blast but I noticed a couple of issues. Not sure if these are bugs or intended.

Seems like counterbattery might be undertuned. I played through Tutorial #3 and had my MLRS on call for most of the game and the enemy artillery was never spotted. I tried two hours having MLRS on counterbattery and still nothing. In both instances enemy artillery fired multiple times every turn. How often should we expect to spot artillery after they fire?
I noticed the same in this scenario... while enemy arty continually pounded my troops crossing the open plain along Route Red 1, the 3 MLRS batteries, with counter battery orders, sat woefully quiet for over an hour. Even if the rockets didn't hit something, seems like they would have picked up on something to shoot at after the many missions 11 ACR endured.

Not saying it's a bug, just suspicious
Same here. I might experiment a bit more but if on call also reacts to counterbattery then I'll just keep my artillery on call. Doesn't seem worth it.

Re: A Couple More Issues

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:24 pm
by WildCatNL
byzantine1990 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:52 pm Thank you for the reply! Does on call also react to counterbattery? I assume not as quickly and it might be on a barrage mission when the battery is sighted. Also, is there any way to know if an enemy off map battery is too far for your own artillery? Seems like you could have a battery on counterbattery all day and not know that it won't work.
On Call units are not chosen to perform CB missions. That is to give you control, and because CB fires typically are performed by higher level batteries, not your regimental batteries.

The TOC Intel, tab Enemy Off-Map Assets lists per known off-map assets which of your units is able to engage them.

William
image (1).png
image (1).png (72.4 KiB) Viewed 728 times

Re: A Couple More Issues

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:40 am
by Radagy
WildCatNL wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:24 pm
byzantine1990 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:52 pm Thank you for the reply! Does on call also react to counterbattery? I assume not as quickly and it might be on a barrage mission when the battery is sighted. Also, is there any way to know if an enemy off map battery is too far for your own artillery? Seems like you could have a battery on counterbattery all day and not know that it won't work.
On Call units are not chosen to perform CB missions.
It sounds a bit different from what I read on the manual, page 185: "HQ stonks and counter battery missions are served first from units with
counter battery orders, but if none are available then artillery units with On
Call orders are used instead".

Re: A Couple More Issues

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:21 pm
by CapnDarwin
Radagy,

Thanks for pointing that out. I will verify with William if I stated that right or not. If not, we will fix it in our game PDF documents for the January update.