Page 1 of 1
Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles videos on Ki-84 Hayate / Frank
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:10 am
by AtParmentier
The channel Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles has released 3 parts on the Ki-84, for those interested. It gives a pretty in depth review of the plane's systems and build. The series gives performance data and compares the plane to other planes in the last two parts.
Re: Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles videos on Ki-84
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:19 pm
by BBfanboy
What is a Ki-84? A Frank?
Re: Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles videos on Ki-84
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:52 pm
by RangerJoe
BBfanboy wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:19 pm
What is a Ki-84? A Frank?
That is the allied code word . . .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakajima_Ki-84
Re: Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles videos on Ki-84
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:49 pm
by BBfanboy
Yeah, I knew I could look it up, but I was trying to suggest to the OP that not everyone is familiar with the Japanese model numbers and perhaps the Allied moniker for the aircraft should be included in the post to save a bunch of people from looking it up.
Re: Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles videos on Ki-84
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:12 pm
by RangerJoe
BBfanboy wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:49 pm
Yeah, I knew I could look it up, but I was trying to suggest to the OP that not everyone is familiar with the Japanese model numbers and perhaps the Allied moniker for the aircraft should be included in the post to save a bunch of people from looking it up.
Well then, refer to it as the Ki-84 "Gale" and then confuse people although that is correct.
Re: Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles videos on Ki-84
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:59 pm
by AtParmentier
RangerJoe wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:12 pm
BBfanboy wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:49 pm
Yeah, I knew I could look it up, but I was trying to suggest to the OP that not everyone is familiar with the Japanese model numbers and perhaps the Allied moniker for the aircraft should be included in the post to save a bunch of people from looking it up.
Well then, refer to it as the Ki-84 "Gale" and then confuse people although that is correct.
Just did.......

Re: Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles videos on Ki-84 "Gale"
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:25 pm
by BBfanboy
Gale is the English translation of the Japanese name, not the Allied common name. It was a Frank to Allied pilots and AAA gunners!
Re: Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles videos on Ki-84 "Gale"
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:11 am
by RangerJoe
BBfanboy wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:25 pm
Gale is the English translation of the Japanese name, not the Allied common name. It was a Frank to Allied pilots and AAA gunners!
Then call it the "Hayate" but I think that the Allied pilots and AAA gunners would tend to call it something else!
Re: Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles videos on Ki-84
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:58 am
by Sardaukar
BBfanboy wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:49 pm
Yeah, I knew I could look it up, but I was trying to suggest to the OP that not everyone is familiar with the Japanese model numbers and perhaps the Allied moniker for the aircraft should be included in the post to save a bunch of people from looking it up.
Well, most know e.g. A6M Zero or even Ki-61 etc., but something like Ki-84...or *gasp* Ki-100 are quite obscure to many in their Japanese designations.

Re: Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles videos on Ki-84
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:20 am
by AtParmentier
Sardaukar wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:58 am
BBfanboy wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:49 pm
Yeah, I knew I could look it up, but I was trying to suggest to the OP that not everyone is familiar with the Japanese model numbers and perhaps the Allied moniker for the aircraft should be included in the post to save a bunch of people from looking it up.
Well, most know e.g. A6M Zero or even Ki-61 etc., but something like Ki-84...or *gasp* Ki-100 are quite obscure to many in their Japanese designations.
Ki-100? A plane without allied codename? *gasp*
Re: Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles videos on Ki-84
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:20 pm
by RangerJoe
AtParmentier wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:20 am
Sardaukar wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:58 am
BBfanboy wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:49 pm
Yeah, I knew I could look it up, but I was trying to suggest to the OP that not everyone is familiar with the Japanese model numbers and perhaps the Allied moniker for the aircraft should be included in the post to save a bunch of people from looking it up.
Well, most know e.g. A6M Zero or even Ki-61 etc., but something like Ki-84...or *gasp* Ki-100 are quite obscure to many in their Japanese designations.
Ki-100? A plane without allied codename? *gasp*
The Ki-100 had an allied code name. It is the Tony, the Ki-61 with a decent engine. A well tested radial engine that the Japanese were familiar with instead of a new fangled, inline, liquid cooled engine that was excellent when made by the Germans but the Japanese tried to "modify" it but that did not work out for them.
Re: Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles videos on Ki-84 Hayate
Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:50 pm
by AtParmentier
OP updated with part 3
Re: Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles videos on Ki-84 Hayate / Frank
Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:09 pm
by AtParmentier
Updated with part 4. Interesting info