Editing TOE names - Divisions now cannot be broken down
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:54 pm
I edited a ton of the TOE/OB files in the editor for Teo_ITA's 2.6 Campaign to represent the linguistic naming conventions of the various countries. However, I'm having a problem where the Rumanian divisions can no longer be broken down into regiments. Those which are already broken down at scenario start also have a "battalion" NATO symbol of (II), not the regiment symbol (III), though they CAN be RE-assembled. German units are unaffected and can all be broken down properly. Soviet divisions also cannot be broken down into regiments, though I'm not sure if they were ever able to be.
It seems to be related to my renaming. Rumanian divisions have the suffix "Divizia" whereas German divisions are still called "Division" in the German language. I learned in TEO's thread that if the English-language naming convention for units is not followed, "Default - 0" in editor will give a battalion NATO counter, so you have to manually specify what size a formation is if you call something a "Brigada" instead of Brigade, or "Diviziya" instead of division to get the correct sized counter. I did that for all the Rumanian division TOE/OBs, but a weird side effect could be that the game still doesn't understand how the unit breaks down. Once I changed it back in editor to "Division" for a second, just to see what happened, all pre-broken down Rumanian regiments now show the correct counter and presumably the whole divisions can be broken down again.
Is there a way to specify the "size" of a broken down Rumanian division's components to ensure they read as "regiments?"
Frankly, just as an aside, it's bizarre that the dev team didn't opt for historically correct unit names, or at least include it as an option (games like Steel Division 2, which is otherwise a cartoon compared to a game like this, allow you to see the historical unit names if you want). Instead we have some weird mishmash of German terms mixed with English words for some artillery units, inconsistent indication within the unit name as to whether it is motorized or not (as with pioneer units), and so on. Meanwhile, linguistic naming conventions for air units are studiously observed. Weird. I did this to make it easier for me to tell exactly what kind of a unit I'm dealing with at a glance, but it seems it may not work out...
It seems to be related to my renaming. Rumanian divisions have the suffix "Divizia" whereas German divisions are still called "Division" in the German language. I learned in TEO's thread that if the English-language naming convention for units is not followed, "Default - 0" in editor will give a battalion NATO counter, so you have to manually specify what size a formation is if you call something a "Brigada" instead of Brigade, or "Diviziya" instead of division to get the correct sized counter. I did that for all the Rumanian division TOE/OBs, but a weird side effect could be that the game still doesn't understand how the unit breaks down. Once I changed it back in editor to "Division" for a second, just to see what happened, all pre-broken down Rumanian regiments now show the correct counter and presumably the whole divisions can be broken down again.
Is there a way to specify the "size" of a broken down Rumanian division's components to ensure they read as "regiments?"
Frankly, just as an aside, it's bizarre that the dev team didn't opt for historically correct unit names, or at least include it as an option (games like Steel Division 2, which is otherwise a cartoon compared to a game like this, allow you to see the historical unit names if you want). Instead we have some weird mishmash of German terms mixed with English words for some artillery units, inconsistent indication within the unit name as to whether it is motorized or not (as with pioneer units), and so on. Meanwhile, linguistic naming conventions for air units are studiously observed. Weird. I did this to make it easier for me to tell exactly what kind of a unit I'm dealing with at a glance, but it seems it may not work out...