Page 1 of 1

MCNA and PC CD Burner Q?

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:37 pm
by AbsntMndedProf
I've seen a number of posts from folks who missed out on getting the Desert Fox/MCNA. I'm fairly certain that my PC has a CD burner. Would it be possible for me to burn copies of MCNA for them? (Also, I don't want to get sued for copyright infringement by SSI.)

Eric Maietta

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:11 am
by rbrunsman
I would be more worried about MatrixGames suing you for copyright violations. It's their MC after all.

You're not serious about that question are you?

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:34 am
by AbsntMndedProf
rbrunsman posted:
You're not serious about that question are you?


Short answer: yes. Long answer: yes, unless Matrix has plans to produce more copies of MCNA. I've seen at least several posts from people asking how they can get MCNA. I haven't seen any posts indicating that Matrix will be making more copies available, or that MCNA can be purchased anywhere.

If there were no other way to get MCNA, I would be happy to put it on disk for someone. All I would ask is that the person I make the disk for send me the blank disk and a self-addressed, stamped envelope to mail it back to them, and send the purchase price for the MC direct to Matrix.

That is, assuming my PC's CD burner can handle the job. I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here. I'm just trying to help people who missed out on the release of MCNA to be able to acquire it.

Could someone let me know if Matrix plans to re-issue MCNA? If so, just forget this post. Thanks!

Eric Maietta

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:19 pm
by slyone
I guess here is the answer to the question of releasing of MCs (David's post):

showthread.php?s=&threadid=23956&perpag ... genumber=4

;)

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:08 pm
by Jim1954
Eric, Here is another post from David... 9th one down. It's about as definative as you can get, although it does not give a time frame. If I was a guessing man, I would imagine it might be timed to coincide with the release of the new MC.

showthread.php?s=&threadid=40973

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:23 pm
by chief
Absent: If I remember the copyright laws (from way back). A copyright is valid for 7 years renewable once for (?) years. I for one would not copy any ones cd without their express permission. Whether it is available or not is not an excuse and could come about and bite you in the ***. This, SPWAW, has a particular problem in that SSI owns the root game and MATRIX owns the MCs. Touchy, touchy situation here. Even if you have good intentions watch your six. Please take this as my two cents.
:) :cool:

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:39 pm
by rbrunsman
Originally posted by AbsntMndedProf
...and send the purchase price for the MC direct to Matrix.


I see now. You were trying to be helpful to Matrix. That wasn't clear from your first post.

Chief, I think trademarks are good for 7 years (renewable). I think copyrighted material is good for something like 25 years renewable for alot longer than that. Mickey Mouse is how old now? And, you still can't copy him without Disney's permission.

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:51 pm
by Voriax
Originally posted by rbrunsman

Chief, I think trademarks are good for 7 years (renewable). I think copyrighted material is good for something like 25 years renewable for alot longer than that. Mickey Mouse is how old now? And, you still can't copy him without Disney's permission.


Heh..'Disney Law'..if memory serves me right US copyright laws were modified couple years back to prevent most of the classic Disney material becoming uncopyrighted.

There is also the case of 'abandonware'. Sites like Home of the Underdogs are essentially breaking the law when they distribute old games, but as they have only unsupported and no longer available games for download no-one has (yet) bothered to step on them.

Voriax

My two cents

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:13 am
by KG Erwin
The upcoming MC will hopefully do very well in sales (being involved in it makes me a little blinkered, but so it goes) . As for the older MCs, I'm a little uncertain as to whether the upcoming new OOBs will affect them. However, I would think that a package containing all of the previous MCs might not be a bad idea. I'm reminded of a great deal I got a few years ago in buying the first three Close Combat games in a package that cost me only $20. A mega-MC package might do well, but I can't see it happening before next year, if it's even feasible. Eric, consider this point before you make any moves. I understand your motivations, but I recommend letting Dave Heath have the last word, and I also recommend that you respect his wishes. Glenn.

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:33 am
by AbsntMndedProf
As I said, I don't want to step on anyone's toes. I'm glad to hear that MCNA will be rereleased. Many thanks, David! As to my idea, never mind!

Eric Maietta

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:21 am
by Supervisor
Guys read the recent posts and stickys about new MAtrixGames store all the MegaCampaigns are available in the store again. The first 2 via a download or CD on demand and WT is till available on CD.