Page 1 of 1
The Case Of The Missing Tank Divisions
Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:22 pm
by PeteJC
I am playing a PBEM campaign game as Soviets. It is turn 14. On turn 13 I had 10 tank divisions at 0 TOE in Reserves and 30+ tank brigades at various TOE. I went in and disbanded all the brigades and put the 10 tank divisions on Refit so that on turn 14 the tank divisions should be ready to go. Well, they have completely disappeared (I am playing the .47 Beta update). There are nowhere to be found. Not on the map. Not on the reinforcement schedule and not in any of the other TBs. They simply have disappeared. They were not scheduled to be sent anywhere and I am 100% sure I did not inadvertently disband them when I was disbanding the brigades (confirmed it by checking my end of turn 13 save file).
Any ideas on what happened.
Re: The Case Of The Missing Tank Divisions
Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:37 pm
by Omat
Hello
27.5.1. At-start Tank and Mechanized
Divisions
Any Soviet Tank Division that shatters, is destroyed or
becomes depleted will convert to a Tank Brigade and
return 11 turns later in the National Reserve. If a Tank
Division routs and then rallies there is a 20% chance it will
be converted to a Tank Brigade.
Any surviving Soviet Tank Divisions will convert to Tank
Brigades in March 1942.
Soviet Mechanized Divisions that shatter or are
destroyed before November 1941 will return as Soviet Rifle
Divisions. Any surviving Mechanized Divisions will convert
to Rifle Divisions by March 1942
Hope it helps
Omat
Re: The Case Of The Missing Tank Divisions
Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:05 pm
by PeteJC
Omat wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:37 pm
Hello
27.5.1. At-start Tank and Mechanized
Divisions
Any Soviet Tank Division that shatters, is destroyed or
becomes depleted will convert to a Tank Brigade and
return 11 turns later in the National Reserve. If a Tank
Division routs and then rallies there is a 20% chance it will
be converted to a Tank Brigade.
Any surviving Soviet Tank Divisions will convert to Tank
Brigades in March 1942.
Soviet Mechanized Divisions that shatter or are
destroyed before November 1941 will return as Soviet Rifle
Divisions. Any surviving Mechanized Divisions will convert
to Rifle Divisions by March 1942
Hope it helps
Omat
Thanks Omat this is nice to know. It does not explain why 10 divisions in the Reserve just disappeared. Very strange.
Re: The Case Of The Missing Tank Divisions
Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:15 pm
by malyhin1517
You have disbanded tank brigades in vain. Almost all Soviet tank and mechanized divisions will be automatically renamed into rifle divisions and tank brigades very quickly. You can search for your missing divisions in this list.

Re: The Case Of The Missing Tank Divisions
Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:01 pm
by PeteJC
malyhin1517 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:15 pm
You have disbanded tank brigades in vain. Almost all Soviet tank and mechanized divisions will be automatically renamed into rifle divisions and tank brigades very quickly. You can search for your missing divisions in this list.
Thanks Malyhin. This is the first time I have played as Soviets so was not aware of this (and quite a few other Soviet specific rules). Well at least the tanks and men went back to the replacement pool. I have a bunch of units that need them on refit on the map so hopefully it will help them.
Re: The Case Of The Missing Tank Divisions
Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:13 pm
by PeteJC
malyhin1517 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:15 pm
You have disbanded tank brigades in vain. Almost all Soviet tank and mechanized divisions will be automatically renamed into rifle divisions and tank brigades very quickly. You can search for your missing divisions in this list.
I went in to the report and it does not make much sense. The 10 tank divisions that were in the reserves on Turn 13 should have been renamed either before Turn 13 or after Turn 14. Seems like the rule of thumb should be don't trust any tank divisions in the Reserves. I will just stick with refitting what I have left on the map I guess.
Re: The Case Of The Missing Tank Divisions
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:05 am
by Omat
Hello
No. It explains why they disappear. They will come back as Tank Brigades after 10 turns because they where depleted.
You wrote they had a TOE of 0 = depleted.
Omat
PeteJC wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:05 pm
Omat wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:37 pm
Hello
27.5.1. At-start Tank and Mechanized
Divisions
Any Soviet Tank Division that shatters, is destroyed or
becomes depleted will convert to a Tank Brigade and
return 11 turns later in the National Reserve. If a Tank
Division routs and then rallies there is a 20% chance it will
be converted to a Tank Brigade.
Any surviving Soviet Tank Divisions will convert to Tank
Brigades in March 1942.
Soviet Mechanized Divisions that shatter or are
destroyed before November 1941 will return as Soviet Rifle
Divisions. Any surviving Mechanized Divisions will convert
to Rifle Divisions by March 1942
Hope it helps
Omat
Thanks Omat this is nice to know. It does not explain why 10 divisions in the Reserve just disappeared. Very strange.
Re: The Case Of The Missing Tank Divisions
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:02 pm
by malyhin1517
PeteJC wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:13 pm
I went in to the report and it does not make much sense. The 10 tank divisions that were in the reserves on Turn 13 should have been renamed either before Turn 13 or after Turn 14. Seems like the rule of thumb should be don't trust any tank divisions in the Reserves. I will just stick with refitting what I have left on the map I guess.
There are two types of division renaming, on a certain turn or after a certain turn if the unit is depleted. Most tank divisions are renamed to tank brigades in the second option, which means that if you save these units, they can exist for a very long time, but they will still be renamed to brigades.