Page 1 of 1

Please Tell Me About The Il-22PP Porubshchik

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:39 pm
by Lanzfeld
Playing the “Iron Hand” mission quite a lot lately because I absolutely love it. I have the Il-22PP Porubshchik at my disposal and I’m trying to figure out what this aircraft does in the game. A few questions for anybody who really knows how to use these things.

1. I know he can do ELINT (same as the su-24’s) but his primary role is a communications jammer? How does this work in the game and what does this do exactly to the enemy AI Sam network and MiGs?

2. At what range is his communication jamming effective? How close to the enemy does he actually have to be to be effective?

3. Do I just leave his communication jammer on all the time or does it get less effective the longer that it’s on?

Would love to know how this works in the game and if there’s any good documentation on this.

Many thanks to anyone with insight.

Re: Please Tell Me About The Il-22PP Porubshchik

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:16 pm
by BDukes
Lanzfeld wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:39 pm Playing the “Iron Hand” mission quite a lot lately because I absolutely love it. I have the Il-22PP Porubshchik at my disposal and I’m trying to figure out what this aircraft does in the game. A few questions for anybody who really knows how to use these things.

1. I know he can do ELINT (same as the su-24’s) but his primary role is a communications jammer? How does this work in the game and what does this do exactly to the enemy AI Sam network and MiGs?

2. At what range is his communication jamming effective? How close to the enemy does he actually have to be to be effective?

3. Do I just leave his communication jammer on all the time or does it get less effective the longer that it’s on?

Would love to know how this works in the game and if there’s any good documentation on this.

Many thanks to anyone with insight.
AFAIK comms jamming isn't a unit game function yet. You can however set it in the the UI or write some lua code. You'd set your own range.

Lua documentation is here:

https://commandlua.github.io/

You have a manuals folder and a lua folder which has general documentation and some example lua code. There is a bunch of code in this forum as well under lua legion.

M

Re: Please Tell Me About The Il-22PP Porubshchik

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:26 am
by Lanzfeld
Wow thank you for your answer and I have to say this shocks me.
So it does nothing in the game, except ELINT

I am thoroughly disappointed the programmers did not flesh this out. I don’t want to do their programming for them. This is a little bit of a let down.

Re: Please Tell Me About The Il-22PP Porubshchik

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:33 am
by Dimitris
"The programmers" added integrated comms jamming in the professional edition (we've always been clear that this is a pro-only feature), and also gave you the ability to simulate it in the commercial edition through scripting. For a starting example of how to do it, check the scenario "Bekaa Valley" (Israeli side) in the Shifting Sands campaign.

If comms jamming is really your thing, and you're too busy to bother with scripting, you can buy the pro edition.

Re: Please Tell Me About The Il-22PP Porubshchik

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:46 pm
by blu3s
Dimitris wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:33 am For a starting example of how to do it, check the scenario "Bekaa Valley" (Israeli side) in the Shifting Sands campaign.

If comms jamming is really your thing, and you're too busy to bother with scripting, you can buy the pro edition.
Thank you for this scenario/resource. Is there any other scenario that implements Comm Jamming or any other resource that could be useful to implement it via Lua? Thanks in advanced!

Re: Please Tell Me About The Il-22PP Porubshchik

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:08 pm
by thewood1
Go to the "lua Legion" thread under mods. There's resources and people there that can help.

Re: Please Tell Me About The Il-22PP Porubshchik

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:21 pm
by blu3s
thewood1 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:08 pm Go to the "lua Legion" thread under mods. There's resources and people there that can help.
Yes, I have searched the forum on communications and communications interference, these are the resources I have on the subject but I can't find any code on ways to implement it correctly.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... s#p4984100

https://command.matrixgames.com/?p=4990

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... r#p3750365

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... r#p4346681

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... r#p4119240

https://command.matrixgames.com/?p=4454

I'm taking a look at Beeka Valley's code and what it does is, get all the units on one side that are jamming, stores them in a table and checks if any opposing units are nearby via Tool_Range, if they are at certain range, the unit is set OutOfComms == True.

My aproach is to create areas with the communications jamming beam, and if an opposing unit enters this area, set OutOfComms == True or maybe a probability function to give the oportunity to give an order to get out of the zone. My idea is not only implemented agains the AI but against the player too. First I need to figure out how to create an automatic area every time a unit with comms jamming launches and remove it when it lands. This area would be in other side to not confuse the player. I would like to avoid regular-time triggers for this and leave it only for the jamming function. If I get stuck I'll ask at the forum, thank you ;)

Re: Please Tell Me About The Il-22PP Porubshchik

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:53 pm
by thewood1
You should consider also using and swapping sides to limit comms across large groups.

Re: Please Tell Me About The Il-22PP Porubshchik

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:53 am
by blu3s
thewood1 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:53 pm You should consider also using and swapping sides to limit comms across large groups.
Good point too! As you say in other post, switch between allied sides "could emulate" the C3 chain interruptions, hacking, jamming etc.