Erik Rutins wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:33 pm
StormingKiwi wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:17 pm
Across the board, Distant Worlds 2 has pretty lacklustre customisation for empire automation.
I would argue it has more customization of automation than most, but I guess there's not much point in debating that.
I guess this is a misleading/poor choice of words because I am referring to the "advisors" that steer, rather than the automation that propels.
Diplomacy
I find managing diplomacy quite tedious, and would prefer to automate almost everything. Pirates and independents seem to be placeholders, and empires are rarely worth engaging with.
I find the latter part of this quite arguable. Pirates and Independents are not placeholders. Each has a significant role to play in the early game and to some degree going on into the mid-game. Independents are for either trade or peaceful or military integration. Pirates can be either enemies or allies, eventually integrating fully with your empire if you help them with the Hive.
Regarding Empires, what would make them worth engaging with for you? I find you can do a whole lot by engaging with other empires.
Independents are more expensive, but already established, colonies that you have the opportunity to decide how to integrate - that choice is great. However, trade volumes are frequently too low to notice, appearing to generate much less traffic than in DW:U. Diplomatically, they would be more interesting if they did something other than wait around for an empire to integrate them or ask the player to colonise them when that value is above ~ +20. They are not supposed to be actors, but at the moment, they are completely passive.
Pirates are more interesting by comparison, however, I believe they were more developed in DW:U. The only one worth allying with or making a conscious effort to fight in the current save is the one that every pirate ship event gifted ships to. The others all have known military strength zero - the one nearest to me probably suffered too many casualties fighting other pirates/empires, and so legitimately has a very small number of ships present in the galaxy. Creatures harass my civilian shipping more than the pirates do, and that's because the freighters jump to the same star as the creatures en route to somewhere else.
Empires: well it's two parts:
1) "consider during gameplay". In the galaxy, there is one AI empire (Kygnos Consciousness) in the galaxy I actively monitor.
2) Engaging - by this I mean actively participating in diplomacy to achieve goals to frustrate the ambitions of my rivals. Unfortunately, it is a similar problem experienced across the strategy genre - my empire could engage in trade agreements and military agreements with 'allies', but cooperation does not seem to be as rewarding as conquering.
Ethically, I seldom want to invade independent colonies, and I would appreciate it if the automation did not set the policy to invade when able for every neutral independent, then suggest my invasion fleets attack.
You can change this of course and unless you've really cranked up the number of independents, there shouldn't be very many to deal with.
With that said, the policy will tend to default to invade if you are either playing an aggressive faction by default or have researched the means to invade, but don't yet have the means to colonize, or if the independent is so negatively disposed towards you that the automation decides it's not feasible to try to bring it on your side diplomatically.
The policy can not be changed on a global level. Yes, I can change the diplomatic relationship per independent to Manual - but I'd prefer just to set a policy in military or diplomacy saying "Do not Invade Independents", and then set my military attacks to automated.
The issue is that invading an independent decreases your reputation. Reputation affects colony approval across the empire and other empires' perceptions of you.
Internally, approval affects taxation, therefore revenue, therefore growth spending, research spending and available surplus.
Externally, reputation affects relationships with other empires.
The AI does not understand the cascade of effects that invading an independent can have on the empire's economy.
There are times when it costs more to conquer an independent than the long-term gain of one more colony.
Espionage
The automation does not "understand" ambassadors are useful to support espionage missions. I have a great target empire for espionage missions, manually set the policy to undermine, with an ambassador assigned. The automation would move the diplomat to another empire. I have 3 other diplomats.
Would very much appreciate a save showing this situation. I completely agree the automation should understand how to do this right.
I'm not sure that ambassadors should be used to support espionage.
There should be a spymaster character type you either keep at your capital or send to the capitals of empires and pirates. That character type should be rare. Spies who do missions should be common.
Espionage:
We need a customisable empire and mission type matrix where we can allow and disallow mission types, particularly extremely low value ones. I do not need territory maps for my nearest neighbour every few missions. Spies are too easily lost, too slow to replace, too expensive to recover and cost too much in lost opportunity for them to be used on something that can be gained trivially with a few exploration ships costing 2,000 credits each.
Maps and Steal Technology are really all that spies are currently good for. The choice of which technologies the automation prioritises stealing needs to be implemented, and the interface for finding technologies could be improved, particularly if targeting those with many techs..
The automation certainly does choose what technologies to steal if left to its own devices, but I'm sure it doesn't always choose wisely.
Adding additional player guidance/policies on how to direct automated espionage is a good feature improvement idea.
Regards,
- Erik
I am fully aware that automation does steal techs. The issue is wisdom.
For example, I frequently do not want it to steal techs that fulfil any or some combination of the following criteria:
- I have invested cash and resources in initialising.
- I will not use.
- I consider low priority to research.
I disagree that spies are only worth using to steal maps and technology, though those are certainly very good uses and great ways to train up your spies overall. Some factions are better at espionage than others, some are easier targets than others. Deciding to mount a campaign of espionage against another empire will entail risk and use up spies. It's not intended that espionage be a low-risk activity or an easy button.
The issue is risk vs reward. Espionage is a high-risk activity with extremely low rewards.
To add to my previous list, Spies earn experience far too slowly, are too easily lost, too slow to replace, too expensive to recover and cost too much in lost opportunities.
Anyway, while the conversation about the hypothetical and theoretical design is pleasant, the game does not work as intended.
Here's the evidence to back up that claim.
Automation uses mission difficulty caution to consider what missions to do - the lowest possible chance of success the automation will consider is 70%. Keep that in mind while reading.
Method:
I have used the empire victory progress ranking provided by the game to order the list of empires.
Then, chose a few empires from that list to look at mission success chances for my best spy to perform each type of mission.
Where multiple targets for the mission exist, I have standardised the targets across the empires for the validity of comparison.
I have estimated the credit benefit of an eventual successful mission for some of the mission types.
(The benefit of research is an estimate of the cost to initiate plus the cost to immediately crash, the benefit for the others is an estimate of how much it would impact the enemy)
I have estimated the credit cost of the successful mission as (35,000 credits / Chance of Mission Success), and estimated the economy-wide disruptions of Incite Revolution and Assassinate Leader as 30% and 10% of private revenue, respectively.
Credit benefits:
I did not determine a method of determining the credit benefit of Steal Operations Map, Sabotage Construction and Deep Cover, and could only trade Territory and Galaxy maps via diplomacy with two of the empires selected.
Results:
Enter Zenox Superspy, Arramy Kodansky. A citizen of the Memban Ascendancy from 2760.06 until 2853.05, before repatriating to a better Empire. This is the most phenomenally good spy I have seen in Distant Worlds 2 - and so this is a best-case scenario at the extreme end of the spectrum. The average spy is much worse than Arramy Kodansky.

- Caution Settings and Arramy Kodansky
- Superspy.png (147.8 KiB) Viewed 3129 times

- How it Works as Implemented.png (88.03 KiB) Viewed 3129 times
I'll let those speak for themselves.
In practice, the majority of spies across every empire are performing counter-espionage. Most missions are well below the 70% success chance threshold. For these target empires, automation only considers a limited selection of mission types.
The only mission type worth the risk of a lost spy is stealing research information.
Finally, the Teekan Corporation would be my least desired target to send a spy on espionage missions to sabotage construction. I'd like to use Espionage to undermine enemies stronger than me, not punch down.