Page 1 of 1
CMO for Someone New to RTS
Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:58 am
by Horns
Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, I couldn't find an FAQ and a search came up empty, but I expect this has been asked before.
Does CMO assume a pre-existing knowledge of the genre, or do you think someone could learn this without that experience? I do game and I know my way around a PC, but this genre is beyond my ken. I am familiar with TacView (I play DCS, a mil flight sim, I'm sure you get a bunch of us), so at least there's that.
Thanks for reading, your thoughts would be appreciated.
Re: CMO for Someone New to RTS
Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:17 am
by thewood1
You will have to eventually get some understanding of naval and air operational management. Coming in and going right to large and complex scenarios is not the way to go. Starting with the tutorials and videos is the recommended approach and work your way into the more complex stuff. I would look through some of this guy's videos.
https://www.youtube.com/@PGatcomb
One last piece is about the tutorials. Its not about winning them. Its about learning. Don't get obsessed with points and such. Focus on understanding the mechanics and concepts. Just like aircraft start up in DCS, CMO is about planning. A lot of people come in and try to jump right in and micromanage. And it can be done that way. But it typically leads to frustration. The planning might seem mundane, but learning how to set your plan up and make adjustments as you go is is the key.
Re: CMO for Someone New to RTS
Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:28 am
by Horns
thewood1 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:17 am
You will have to eventually get some understanding of naval and air operational management. Coming in and going right to large and complex scenarios is not the way to go. Starting with the tutorials and videos is the recommended approach and work your way into the more complex stuff. I would look through some of this guy's videos.
https://www.youtube.com/@PGatcomb
One last piece is about the tutorials. Its not about winning them. Its about learning. Don't get obsessed with points and such. Focus on understanding the mechanics and concepts. Just like aircraft start up in DCS, CMO is about planning. A lot of people come in and try to jump right in and micromanage. And it can be done that way. But it typically leads to frustration. The planning might seem mundane, but learning how to set your plan up and make adjustments as you go is is the key.
Thanks, that's exactly what I was asking. I'm doing some reading on air ops right now and I'm going on to joint operations, so hopefully that will give me some knowledge base, so I can concentrate my early efforts on learning to RTS through the tutorials and videos. Thanks for the link to the YouTube channel, I will go take a look.
Much appreciated.
Re: CMO for Someone New to RTS
Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:52 am
by ultradave
The tutorials will help immensely. There are a large number of them now from basic air ops, to planning and executing strike missions, surface ships, and submarines. And there are smaller, more manageable scenarios both issued with the game and the community scenario pack, that will get you going without overwhelming you. Just take your time. Plenty to learn, but lots of "training" available.
Dave
Re: CMO for Someone New to RTS
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:27 am
by TBLackey
I wouldn't call CMO a Real Time Strategy game, since you can pause anytime to issue orders to your units.
With the tutorials, do them all except Electronic Warfare. That's a higher level of complexity than is appropriate for beginners. Come back to the EW tutorial after you've played it for a while.
Re: CMO for Someone New to RTS
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:38 am
by thewood1
The EW comment is worth expanding on. There are several categories I would bypass until you get more experience. Cargo, Mines, and maybe the Multi-Domain Strike Planner Tutorial. I would focus on the simpler flight tutorials, sub, and surface warfare scenarios. Then come back to the more complex ones.
Re: CMO for Someone New to RTS
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:13 pm
by Horns
ultradave wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:52 am
The tutorials will help immensely. There are a large number of them now from basic air ops, to planning and executing strike missions, surface ships, and submarines. And there are smaller, more manageable scenarios both issued with the game and the community scenario pack, that will get you going without overwhelming you. Just take your time. Plenty to learn, but lots of "training" available.
Dave
thewood1 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:38 am
The EW comment is worth expanding on. There are several categories I would bypass until you get more experience. Cargo, Mines, and maybe the Multi-Domain Strike Planner Tutorial. I would focus on the simpler flight tutorials, sub, and surface warfare scenarios. Then come back to the more complex ones.
Thanks for replying, I'm getting an idea of how I'll tackle it now, this is really valuable, cheers
TBLackey wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:27 am
I wouldn't call CMO a Real Time Strategy game, since you can pause anytime to issue orders to your units.
With the tutorials, do them all except Electronic Warfare. That's a higher level of complexity than is appropriate for beginners. Come back to the EW tutorial after you've played it for a while.
Thanks for mentioning that you can pause to issue orders - the race against the clock to issue commands/orders was something that I thought might make the learning curve unduly steep. Glad to know it doesn't quite work that way.
Wish I could +rep everyone who took the trouble to offer their help here, since that's not possible all I can offer is thanks. Once I'm finished the strategy books I'm reading atm I'll dive into the game, no doubt you guys will see me around here in future |m|