Page 1 of 1
Dutch-Venezuelan Fishing Incident, 2025 -- new beta for testing
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:51 am
by Mgellis
Friends, here is my newest beta scenario for testing. It is a fishing dispute. Venezuelan fishing boats are violating Dutch fisheries. The Netherlands sends ships to address the issue. They have permission to fire on fishing boats that do not comply with their orders to stop and be boarded for inspection. Venezuela is unlikely to take kindly to this...
As always, please let me know what you think. How plausible is this scenario (including the option given to the Dutch vessels to withdraw if they are totally outgunned...which might happen)? How well do the various Events work? Anything else I can do to make the scenario more interesting, more challenging, more playable, etc.?
Thanks in advance!
[uploaded version 2 at 8:25 PM CST 2/25/2023]
Re: Dutch-Venezuelan Fishing Incident, 2025 -- new beta for testing
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:10 am
by HalfLifeExpert
Just loaded this up.
One thing I noticed pretty Quickly:
Riohacha is a Colombian port/naval base, not Venezuelan..........
Re: Dutch-Venezuelan Fishing Incident, 2025 -- new beta for testing
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:51 am
by HalfLifeExpert
Completed my first playthrough. I got a triumph with a score of 275.
+300 for each fishing boat disabled, and -25 for damage sustained to the Zeeland in a skirmish with a Venezuelan vessel.
Overall I think this is a good small scale scenario, but I have a few critiques:
1) A Colombian port/base being on the map and labeled as Venezuelan (mentioned in above post)
2) I fully get the mission to interdict illegal fishing, and I understand disabling fishing vessels with gunfire that don't comply with 'pull over' orders. However, upon disabling a fishing vessel, nothing seems to happen with that fishing boat, and I don't have clear instructions on how to detain/board the boat in question.
I tried getting both my ship and a RHIB within spitting distance of the vessel, but nothing seems to happen.
Is this intentional? I don't think the Dutch intentions would involve knocking out the boat's engine and just letting it sit there.
3) Following scenario suggestion, upon the Zeeland taking damage, I elected to disengage and head to Curacao (though I did cripple one Venezuelan vessel that was in hot pursuit on the way). Nothing seemed to happen upon getting within NL territorial waters.
Ultimately, the scenario ended when the clock ran out. I'd would have thought that upon disabling all the Fishing boats, there would be some kind of event, as well as when I reached Curacao.
So overall, I think events need some work, as well as clearer instructions and actions on what to do after disabling a Venezuelan Fishing vessel
Re: Dutch-Venezuelan Fishing Incident, 2025 -- new beta for testing
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:57 pm
by schweggy
The sea state seems a bit aggressive at level 4. Doubtful there'd be much fishing going on in that sort of weather. Plus it limits the speed of the vessels and in a real world situation would likely preclude using RIHB's and (perhaps) some aircraft. As HLE mentioned, there are some gaps in what happens when a fishing boat is disabled. Perhaps they get switched over to a non-belligerent side that can provide no intelligence to the Venezuelan side? Or... switch the boat over to Dutch control so it can be sequestered somewhere else. I'd also introduce an armed air asset or two for the Dutch. Something light.
Re: Dutch-Venezuelan Fishing Incident, 2025 -- new beta for testing
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:42 am
by Parel803
Good morning,
Nice small scen, 250 points, and back on the Amstel Bright in time. One of the fishing ships sunk eventually.
Disabled the 3 TU's and 1 VEN navy.
The side of the VEN Fishing ships is 'collective responsibility' so they all turn to Hostile when first attacked. I think I would like to keep the rest Unfriendly and give them a a choice to comply before firing. A bit harsh but that was the mission

I tried to use Apache's script from another scenario and with help from KnightHawk and Blu3s I intend to make more Special action like for boarding and taking over. One could think first to hail her and perpare to be boarded, than shot(s) for the bow to stop her and than the hard way. Just thoughts nothing more.
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... g#p5065220
Enjoyed your scen, thanks for sharing.
Best regards GJ
Re: Dutch-Venezuelan Fishing Incident, 2025 -- new beta for testing
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:12 pm
by Mgellis
Thanks to everyone for their replies about the scenario so far. Please let me know if there is anything else you would change, fix, improve, etc.
Thanks again!
Re: Dutch-Venezuelan Fishing Incident, 2025 -- new beta for testing
Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:26 am
by Mgellis
Just uploaded version 2.
I incorporated most of the suggestions people made. Thanks.
For some reason, setting some sides as No Collective Responsibility messes up whether the Venezuelans are willing to engage the Dutch. I suspect this has something to do with how the setting functions when the side is being played by the game, rather than by a person. In any event, I put it back on Collective Responsibility and it seemed to fix the problem.
As before, please let me know what you think. Any errors or issues I need to address? Anything else I can do to make the scenario more interesting, more fun, and more challenging?
Thanks.
Re: Dutch-Venezuelan Fishing Incident, 2025 -- new beta for testing
Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:04 pm
by Parel803
Mgellis,
Not important, nice scen. Tried the "Collective Responsibility" on the VEN Fishing vessels. Looks for me to work oké. Cheated a little with position of UAV & Helo to get the units. Changed 2 VEN TU and then changed 1 back, the other stayed "U". The VEN MoW stayed "U", changed one and both switched to "H".
I see if can get the Lua with distncae to work again, you might like or not. Got lots of help for this.
best regards GJ
ps the zip is in the game (spoiler)
Re: Dutch-Venezuelan Fishing Incident, 2025 -- new beta for testing
Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:41 am
by Mgellis
Any other comments or suggestions for this scenario? Or is it ready for the Community Scenario Pack?
(If it is, please feel free to say, "Yes." If I don't hear anything, I don't know if people think it's ready or not.)
Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.
Re: Dutch-Venezuelan Fishing Incident, 2025 -- new beta for testing
Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:03 pm
by stilesw
Go for it!