Page 1 of 1

Any plans for multiplayer?

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:50 pm
by curricular
I've read here and there that it may or may not be planned for down the road.... Is there any news on whether MP will be added to Distant Worlds 2 at some point?

Re: Any plans for multiplayer?

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:15 pm
by AKicebear
They've mentioned it's technically possible but not a priority. I personally doubt it (and prefer they don't waste resources there).

Re: Any plans for multiplayer?

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:54 pm
by Cauldyth
I believe in the recent stream, they said they'd like to eventually do it, but no plans currently.

And I agree, I'd prefer they focus on making it an even more fantastic single-player experience.

Re: Any plans for multiplayer?

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:31 pm
by Jorgen_CAB
Cauldyth wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:54 pm I believe in the recent stream, they said they'd like to eventually do it, but no plans currently.

And I agree, I'd prefer they focus on making it an even more fantastic single-player experience.
If they do it they should do this at the end of the development of the game after most of the main content is in. I'm afraid it will otherwise take up unreasonable time to make sure everything work with MP as they add content and we get less content as a result.

Re: Any plans for multiplayer?

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:48 pm
by zgrssd
Jorgen_CAB wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:31 pm
Cauldyth wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:54 pm I believe in the recent stream, they said they'd like to eventually do it, but no plans currently.

And I agree, I'd prefer they focus on making it an even more fantastic single-player experience.
If they do it they should do this at the end of the development of the game after most of the main content is in. I'm afraid it will otherwise take up unreasonable time to make sure everything work with MP as they add content and we get less content as a result.
Making sure the game can be converted to MP already takes time and resources. I would not mind them going the full way. Later.

MP requires a very specific design of the games code, which is why most of the times MP can not be retrofitted at all.