Page 1 of 1

t1 eco research is fubar

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:03 pm
by bvoid
Something is busted with the t1 tech research. You will only deal with this if you do a t1 start with no tech at all.

Every t1 game I try ends up in a desperate attempt to research any kind of power tech - and not getting it. Look at the screenshot attached, I just discovered a t2 eco tech without having a single t1 researched. Has my discovery of military techs unlocked t2? This completely screws the player over!

Also sometimes many turns go past without discoveries, despite having 500+ points invested. I do have tech on extremely slow however, which is making it worse.

For t1 military techs - there are only 3 of them and I can research all of those and prototype an early infantry unit no problem. But 50 years later still stuck trying to get ANY way to generate power! So can't power offices or mines - this completely stunts growth.

Vic is this intended behaviour? Does military research unlock the next tier of eco discoveries?

My latest game is in the closed beta, but I have encountered this annoyance many times since release.

Suggested fix: "Power Plant" should be an "early tech" and not need to be researched.

Re: t1 eco research is fubar

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:54 pm
by zgrssd
The rule for unlocks of higher Tech Levels were: "Once you have 3 technologies in a Category (like Basic Tech), you unlock the followup categories."
So yes, that military research screwed you over.

The lack of power tech and that all your assets are private are the reason I never start on the lowest tech level. I consider it a extra challenge mode, not a default setting.
I suggested ages ago that Solar be made early tech - but in turn the output could be cut by 5 or 10. It is already too effective as a power source most games, and really should be more available earlier.

Re: t1 eco research is fubar

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:55 pm
by bvoid
Something like this happened to me on the very first game ever when the game was first released, and it still happens today! This is a very anti-fun and non-intuitive game mechanic.

Start off as T2 or above and everything is fine! But a new player will come along and pick t1 and have a very bad time.

It seems the only way to avoid this is to very specifically focus on eco discoveries until you get a power tech. And NOT do any military research like I did. That's great and all but it means using bolt-action rifles against the giant feliod riding cat aliens that want to eat me.

Re: t1 eco research is fubar

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:57 pm
by zgrssd
bvoid wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:55 pm Something like this happened to me on the very first game ever when the game was first released, and it still happens today! This is a very anti-fun and non-intuitive game mechanic.

Start off as T2 or above and everything is fine! But a new player will come along and pick t1 and have a very bad time.

It seems the only way to avoid this is to very specifically focus on eco discoveries until you get a power tech. And NOT do any military research like I did. That's great and all but it means using bolt-action rifles against the giant feliod riding cat aliens that want to eat me.
I am 95% sure T2 is selected by default.

Maybe don't try non-default settings as a new player?

Re: t1 eco research is fubar

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:59 pm
by bvoid
I'm not a new player. I also usually avoid t1 for this very reason, but have been trying it out again in the closed beta.

The point of the thread is to highlight this for Vic - this mechanic only detracts from the game.

Re: t1 eco research is fubar

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:39 pm
by KingHalford
Shadow Empire 101:

Do not research unnecessary techs before you have the ones you really need. Diluting the pool of potential research targets before you've gotten critical power techs is a game ending mistake.

Re: t1 eco research is fubar

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:32 pm
by bvoid
Also Shadow Empire 101 - do not pick the t3 start - it just isn't fun and you just press end turn while trying to roll power tech. This could be easily fixed.

Re: t1 eco research is fubar

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:55 pm
by Vic
I am going to look into this. Expect patch after oceania release!