Page 1 of 1

Relative Ref Points for Air Targets

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:11 am
by Horns
I've been trying to set reference points relative to a hostile air targets. When I select "Make selected Ref. Point(s) relative (fixed or rotating bearing) to..." it allows me to select the hostile, but then it treats the reference point (or points) as though there was no relativity at all. Am I doing something wrong or does this function not work for air targets?

I hoped I could figure out setting relative reference points so I could get an automated stern conversion (ie a turn to go from a head-on intercept to gun/fox 2 range behind the hostile's wingline) happening. If anyone knows a way to do that without manually crunching the numbers and constantly adjusting course, I'd greatly appreciate it if you would be prepared to share...

Re: Relative Ref Points for Air Targets

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:41 am
by thewood1
I think the issue might be that you can't relative the rp if the enemy unit ever has anything less than an exact fix. I play in the scenario editor and switch to god's eye view to do it. It stays relative then. Being able to put a relative rp easily on an enemy unit has been an old request.

Re: Relative Ref Points for Air Targets

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:56 am
by Horns
thewood1 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:41 am I think the issue might be that you can't relative the rp if the enemy unit ever has anything less than an exact fix. I play in the scenario editor and switch to god's eye view to do it. It stays relative then. Being able to put a relative rp easily on an enemy unit has been an old request.
Oh I hear you - so unless it was in a narrow scan flying straight at the target, there's no way an AEW track will stay precise enough. Thanks for explaining - I didn't really intend to make a feature request, and playing in editor mode seems like a small price to pay :)