Page 1 of 1

Artillery

Posted: Sat May 27, 2023 5:57 am
by Simon Edmonds
Just a quick question.
Are there any good threads out there on the optimum use of artillery. For instance when firing from two hexes away is there still a difference between; minimize losses; limit losses; and ignore losses. Is there any point where adding more artillery units to an attack wont get you any more chance of doing damage. Should artillery be able to attack bridges or naval units within range.

Re: Artillery

Posted: Sat May 27, 2023 11:47 am
by Lobster
There are a lot of things artillery should be able to do but can't in this game because of some arbitrary game mechanics. We just have to live with it because it has been 'discussed' at length and it was made very clear it wouldn't be changed.

Re: Artillery

Posted: Sat May 27, 2023 3:32 pm
by Curtis Lemay
Simon Edmonds wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:57 am Just a quick question.
For instance when firing from two hexes away is there still a difference between; minimize losses; limit losses; and ignore losses.
Distance is irrelevant. What matters is whether the artillery is bombarding (sans ground assault) or supporting an assault by ground forces. Former true, latter false.
Is there any point where adding more artillery units to an attack wont get you any more chance of doing damage.
No. More the merrier. Although a target can't lose more than 100% of itself.

Re: Artillery

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:22 pm
by PrivateLsd
Curtis Lemay wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:32 pm
Simon Edmonds wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:57 am Just a quick question.
For instance when firing from two hexes away is there still a difference between; minimize losses; limit losses; and ignore losses.
Distance is irrelevant. What matters is whether the artillery is bombarding (sans ground assault) or supporting an assault by ground forces. Former true, latter false.
Is there any point where adding more artillery units to an attack wont get you any more chance of doing damage.
No. More the merrier. Although a target can't lose more than 100% of itself.
Speaking of loss orders, exactly how do they affect artillery units performing bombardment missions? do the 3 loss orders just impact how many tactical rounds they fire for or is there more to it?

Re: Artillery

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:35 pm
by Curtis Lemay
PrivateLsd wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:22 pm
Curtis Lemay wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:32 pm
Simon Edmonds wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:57 am Just a quick question.
For instance when firing from two hexes away is there still a difference between; minimize losses; limit losses; and ignore losses.
Distance is irrelevant. What matters is whether the artillery is bombarding (sans ground assault) or supporting an assault by ground forces. Former true, latter false.
Is there any point where adding more artillery units to an attack wont get you any more chance of doing damage.
No. More the merrier. Although a target can't lose more than 100% of itself.
Speaking of loss orders, exactly how do they affect artillery units performing bombardment missions? do the 3 loss orders just impact how many tactical rounds they fire for or is there more to it?
Only the impact of being in the wrong defensive stance if the turn ends early.

Now, for aircraft bombarding, it impacts how likely the air unit is to drop out from AAA or AS prior to bombarding.

Re: Artillery

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:52 pm
by scout1
Curtis Lemay wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:32 pm
Simon Edmonds wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:57 am Just a quick question.
For instance when firing from two hexes away is there still a difference between; minimize losses; limit losses; and ignore losses.
Distance is irrelevant. What matters is whether the artillery is bombarding (sans ground assault) or supporting an assault by ground forces. Former true, latter false.
Is there any point where adding more artillery units to an attack wont get you any more chance of doing damage.
No. More the merrier. Although a target can't lose more than 100% of itself.
OK, I'll bite on this one ....

from my limited knowledge, I have 3 general uses for artillery
- Bombardment (one being counter battery and the other hitting a front line troop prior to a ground assault)
- supporting a ground assualt

what if anything is really different between bombarding the frontline troops independpently vs supporting an attack by frontline ground troops ?

Re: Artillery

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:07 am
by Curtis Lemay
scout1 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:52 pm
Curtis Lemay wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:32 pm
Simon Edmonds wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:57 am Just a quick question.
For instance when firing from two hexes away is there still a difference between; minimize losses; limit losses; and ignore losses.
Distance is irrelevant. What matters is whether the artillery is bombarding (sans ground assault) or supporting an assault by ground forces. Former true, latter false.
Is there any point where adding more artillery units to an attack wont get you any more chance of doing damage.
No. More the merrier. Although a target can't lose more than 100% of itself.
OK, I'll bite on this one ....

from my limited knowledge, I have 3 general uses for artillery
- Bombardment (one being counter battery and the other hitting a front line troop prior to a ground assault)
- supporting a ground assualt

what if anything is really different between bombarding the frontline troops independpently vs supporting an attack by frontline ground troops ?
1. Bombardment is subject to counterbattery, if the target includes artillery.
2. Support of an assault gives the artillery a big strength boost (x10, I believe). (Difference between firing blind vs. with spotters).

Re: Artillery

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:45 am
by Simon Edmonds
1. Bombardment is subject to counterbattery, if the target includes artillery.
2. Support of an assault gives the artillery a big strength boost (x10, I believe). (Difference between firing blind vs. with spotters).
I think I may have been handling my artillery wrong. In the game I expend the long-ranged artillery softening up the opposition. Then the next round I use the assault units only to make the attack.

From the above I understand that if I use the long-ranged artillery at the same time as the assault units the combat will process the artillery bombardments and duels first and then go on to do the actual ground assault. Is this correct?

Also if ranged artillery supports an assault is it's attack value multiplied by 10?

Re: Artillery

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:51 am
by Curtis Lemay
Simon Edmonds wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:45 am
1. Bombardment is subject to counterbattery, if the target includes artillery.
2. Support of an assault gives the artillery a big strength boost (x10, I believe). (Difference between firing blind vs. with spotters).
I think I may have been handling my artillery wrong. In the game I expend the long-ranged artillery softening up the opposition. Then the next round I use the assault units only to make the attack.

From the above I understand that if I use the long-ranged artillery at the same time as the assault units the combat will process the artillery bombardments and duels first and then go on to do the actual ground assault. Is this correct?
Correct, except there is no counterbattery against support.
Also if ranged artillery supports an assault is it's attack value multiplied by 10?
It's a little more complicated than just that. The "Assault Ratio" plays a part in that multiple and in the supplies expended by the defenders. See 13.20.

Re: Artillery

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:16 pm
by scout1
Curtis Lemay wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:51 am
Simon Edmonds wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:45 am
1. Bombardment is subject to counterbattery, if the target includes artillery.
2. Support of an assault gives the artillery a big strength boost (x10, I believe). (Difference between firing blind vs. with spotters).
I think I may have been handling my artillery wrong. In the game I expend the long-ranged artillery softening up the opposition. Then the next round I use the assault units only to make the attack.

From the above I understand that if I use the long-ranged artillery at the same time as the assault units the combat will process the artillery bombardments and duels first and then go on to do the actual ground assault. Is this correct?
Correct, except there is no counterbattery against support.
Also if ranged artillery supports an assault is it's attack value multiplied by 10?
It's a little more complicated than just that. The "Assault Ratio" plays a part in that multiple and in the supplies expended by the defenders. See 13.20.

This is enlightening ..... one follow up question ....

If I opt for my artillery to solely run support and get ~ 10x benefit for the overall ground assault .....
Does the enemy artillery within range of the ground combat also get a healthy (~10x) benefit as well ?

Re: Artillery

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:30 pm
by Curtis Lemay
scout1 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:16 pm
Curtis Lemay wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:51 am
Simon Edmonds wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:45 am
I think I may have been handling my artillery wrong. In the game I expend the long-ranged artillery softening up the opposition. Then the next round I use the assault units only to make the attack.

From the above I understand that if I use the long-ranged artillery at the same time as the assault units the combat will process the artillery bombardments and duels first and then go on to do the actual ground assault. Is this correct?
Correct, except there is no counterbattery against support.
Also if ranged artillery supports an assault is it's attack value multiplied by 10?
It's a little more complicated than just that. The "Assault Ratio" plays a part in that multiple and in the supplies expended by the defenders. See 13.20.

This is enlightening ..... one follow up question ....

If I opt for my artillery to solely run support and get ~ 10x benefit for the overall ground assault .....
Does the enemy artillery within range of the ground combat also get a healthy (~10x) benefit as well ?
Yes. They will be supporting at half-strength though. (Same as support for the attack that isn't directly assigned to the attack, but joins cooperatively).

Re: Artillery

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:55 pm
by ncc1701e
So I have a doubt. If I have an artillery unit, range one hex, stacked with an infantry unit. If this group attacks an enemy unit, what does the artillery do? bombarding or supporting?

Re: Artillery

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:58 pm
by Curtis Lemay
ncc1701e wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:55 pm So I have a doubt. If I have an artillery unit, range one hex, stacked with an infantry unit. If this group attacks an enemy unit, what does the artillery do? bombarding or supporting?
see 10.5.1

If more than 50% of its combat strength is ranged, it will bombard; if less it will assault - provided it's range is nominal. If the range has been changed from nominal it will bombard if > 0 and assault if = 0. Note that the attack cursor will indicate which case applies.

Re: Artillery

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:00 am
by ncc1701e
Thank you Bob.

Re: Artillery

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:22 pm
by scout1
Curtis Lemay wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:58 pm
ncc1701e wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:55 pm So I have a doubt. If I have an artillery unit, range one hex, stacked with an infantry unit. If this group attacks an enemy unit, what does the artillery do? bombarding or supporting?
see 10.5.1

If more than 50% of its combat strength is ranged, it will bombard; if less it will assault - provided it's range is nominal. If the range has been changed from nominal it will bombard if > 0 and assault if = 0. Note that the attack cursor will indicate which case applies.
OK, something else to learn .....

If ranged support, should these show up in the support window like aircraft and ships ?

Or does this all occur behind the scenes so no knowledge whether the artillery weighs in to the overall equation or not ....

Re: Artillery

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:37 pm
by Curtis Lemay
scout1 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:22 pm
Curtis Lemay wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:58 pm
ncc1701e wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:55 pm So I have a doubt. If I have an artillery unit, range one hex, stacked with an infantry unit. If this group attacks an enemy unit, what does the artillery do? bombarding or supporting?
see 10.5.1

If more than 50% of its combat strength is ranged, it will bombard; if less it will assault - provided it's range is nominal. If the range has been changed from nominal it will bombard if > 0 and assault if = 0. Note that the attack cursor will indicate which case applies.
OK, something else to learn .....

If ranged support, should these show up in the support window like aircraft and ships ?

Or does this all occur behind the scenes so no knowledge whether the artillery weighs in to the overall equation or not ....
Do some tests for yourself and see.

Re: Artillery

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:19 pm
by scout1
Curtis Lemay wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:37 pm
scout1 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:22 pm
Curtis Lemay wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:58 pm
see 10.5.1

If more than 50% of its combat strength is ranged, it will bombard; if less it will assault - provided it's range is nominal. If the range has been changed from nominal it will bombard if > 0 and assault if = 0. Note that the attack cursor will indicate which case applies.
OK, something else to learn .....

If ranged support, should these show up in the support window like aircraft and ships ?

Or does this all occur behind the scenes so no knowledge whether the artillery weighs in to the overall equation or not ....
Do some tests for yourself and see.
Fair enough, I will do so ...

But for the record, I learn as I play, and in the last 3 scenario's, I have NEVER been offered ranged support along with aircraft or ships, not once .... So guessing the answer is behind the scenes ..... but will do due dilengence ....

Re: Artillery

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:34 pm
by Curtis Lemay
scout1 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:19 pm
Curtis Lemay wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:37 pm
scout1 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:22 pm

OK, something else to learn .....

If ranged support, should these show up in the support window like aircraft and ships ?

Or does this all occur behind the scenes so no knowledge whether the artillery weighs in to the overall equation or not ....
Do some tests for yourself and see.
Fair enough, I will do so ...

But for the record, I learn as I play, and in the last 3 scenario's, I have NEVER been offered ranged support along with aircraft or ships, not once .... So guessing the answer is behind the scenes ..... but will do due dilengence ....
Like this?:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 8#p1451318