Page 1 of 1

Air Asist - Recon?

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:07 pm
by abulbulian
I've started a 41 campaign as Germans and I'm using the air assist feature. I'm noticing something that I'm not sure if it's WAD or a bug. Seems like my air recon is almost non-existent. I might see a few units (total!) behind the lines, but nothing else.

So my question is this what other people are experiencing? If it's WAD, then I would said based on my vast knowledge of the east front campaign it's not the reality. Sure the Germans we're struggling to keep even a few recon planes assigned to major formations flying. But they still were able to get some very important recon behind the lines during 41 and beyond.

I don't think people realize how important it was in WW2 to have good recon. It could be the decisive factor in a battle, in a game it's hard to recreate that factor. But at least allow the recon to work historically. Unless I'm doing something wrong, which would be odd cause I've just been using air assist. I would say air recon is broken.

Yes, I'm factoring in weather. So understand when poor conditions recon is worse. But with clear skies, still seem a real issue.

Thanks

Re: Air Asist - Recon?

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:17 pm
by Wiedrock
A Air Recon AD only has one "Battle/Mission" report on the map, this then shows like 70 planes but this is just a condensed report for multille flown missions during the week.
Does that explain it?

Re: Air Asist - Recon?

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:58 pm
by Nazcatraz
AI Air Recon is horrible. It usually recon where you don’t need to. And if you set up your own recon directive and have AI Air on it would just delete yours and create its own. So my only advice for you is to turn off AI Air and set up air directives yourself. If you find it too much then maybe just turn AI Air off for the turn you want to do recon yourself. But learning air is very beneficial in the long term because eventually you will find out that AI Air is very unreliable and you will have enough of it. Same for AI depots creation. But at least for AI depot it’s still somewhat acceptable. AI Air is just not it.

Re: Air Asist - Recon?

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:30 am
by DarkHorse2
I concur.

I have had it off for so long, I forget it even exists.

Re: Air Asist - Recon?

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:03 am
by abulbulian
Nazcatraz wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:58 pm AI Air Recon is horrible. It usually recon where you don’t need to. And if you set up your own recon directive and have AI Air on it would just delete yours and create its own. So my only advice for you is to turn off AI Air and set up air directives yourself. If you find it too much then maybe just turn AI Air off for the turn you want to do recon yourself. But learning air is very beneficial in the long term because eventually you will find out that AI Air is very unreliable and you will have enough of it. Same for AI depots creation. But at least for AI depot it’s still somewhat acceptable. AI Air is just not it.
ok, this explains everything. I was hoping the air assist had been improved from what it was years ago. Oh well.

Re: Air Asist - Recon?

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:52 am
by ranknfile
I use the air assist, then modify, delete, or add air missions as necessary.
The air assist is not perfect, but it is a time-saving start.

Generally, the air assist recons are too far beyond any fighter escort coverage to leave as is, so I'll back it up towards friendly lines and make the area smaller. You'll lose less recon A/C that way.

One thing I recently started doing is using the Army recon units to recon just past their army, to better improve the detection levels of the enemy units their front.

I suppose I could do all the missions from scratch, but I don't find that necessary.