Page 1 of 1
Is there a resource that shows where all the LCUs went historically?
Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:30 pm
by Nezlezar
I can Google some of them, but many others are a little more obscure. I don't feel like I *have* to send them to historical locations, it is more a mix of newbie assistance and a historical learning desire. This applies mostly to arriving LCUs. I am content with already deployed units and where they have ended up.
What are some effective strategies for reinforcing Rangoon? The Indian rail network doesn't reach there so I assume shipping them is best. Problem is, there is a lot of LBA buzzing above trying to sink those ships and there is a river chokepoint that makes it hard for many ships to get through in the first place. I have CAP in place but it still seems risky to expose the ships and troops like this. I've been staging the TF far off the coast and bringing in smaller TFs to unload but I imagine there is a far better way to go about this.
I really don't have much interest in the Chinese theater, is there a basic setup that would keep it at bay without much of my attention? I understand it may not be as effective as actively managing it and I'm willing to accept that prospect.
Re: Is there a resource that shows where all the LCUs went historically?
Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:45 pm
by Platoonist
Nezlezar wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:30 pm
What are some effective strategies for reinforcing Rangoon? The Indian rail network doesn't reach there so I assume shipping them is best. Problem is, there is a lot of LBA buzzing above trying to sink those ships and there is a river chokepoint that makes it hard for many ships to get through in the first place. I have CAP in place but it still seems risky to expose the ships and troops like this. I've been staging the TF far off the coast and bringing in smaller TFs to unload but I imagine there is a far better way to go about this.
One option is to have any troop transports stop at a waypoint at sea near the coast within the maximum speed distance of Rangoon. Then sprint into port the next day at full speed and under the air cover of Rangoon. If you can set up a fighter group at Prome or Akyab to provide LRCAP while they are at the waypoint that'll fend off any Bettys that might spot them at that range. Bring escorts as there is always a Japanese submarine or two lurking along that route. Yes, you will occasionally lose some ships no matter what you do, but the reward of holding Rangoon is worth it. The safer option is marching overland, but it takes a looongg time. Rangoon would likely fall before their exhausted arrival.
Works against the AI anyway. Humans are far craftier.
Re: Is there a resource that shows where all the LCUs went historically?
Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:12 pm
by Platoonist
Nezlezar wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:30 pm
I can Google some of them, but many others are a little more obscure. I don't feel like I *have* to send them to historical locations, it is more a mix of newbie assistance and a historical learning desire. This applies mostly to arriving LCUs. I am content with already deployed units and where they have ended up.
For the division and brigade sized units Googling their names is probably the best option. For a lot of the base forces it'll be tougher as most (but not all of them) represent a grouping of smaller service companies devoted to logistics, construction, medical services, maintenance, aviation, security and so forth. This was probably done to keep the number of discrete units in the game within sane limits.
Re: Is there a resource that shows where all the LCUs went historically?
Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:22 pm
by Platoonist
Nezlezar wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:30 pm
I really don't have much interest in the Chinese theater, is there a basic setup that would keep it at bay without much of my attention? I understand it may not be as effective as actively managing it and I'm willing to accept that prospect.
Given the paucity of replacements and the poor supply situation in China going on the defensive is often the best option. Some Japanese held cities like Sinyang are vulnerable to being surrounded and taken from the AI if you feel ambitious but too much ambition with Chinese troops often leads to heavy and difficult to replace losses.
If you haven't already you want to turn off repairs for any damaged Chinese industry or resources. What they will eventually produce won't balance out the cost in supplies to repair them and supplies in China are always tight.
Re: Is there a resource that shows where all the LCUs went historically?
Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:42 pm
by Nezlezar
Platoonist wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:45 pm
One option is to have any troop transports stop at a waypoint at sea near the coast within the maximum speed distance of Rangoon. Then sprint into port the next day at full speed and under the air cover of Rangoon. If you can set up a fighter group at Prome or Akyab to provide LRCAP while they are at the waypoint that'll fend off any Bettys that might spot them at that range. Bring escorts as there is always a Japanese submarine or two lurking along that route. Yes, you will occasionally lose some ships no matter what you do, but the reward of holding Rangoon is worth it. The safer option is marching overland, but it takes a looongg time. Rangoon would likely fall before their exhausted arrival.
Works against the AI anyway. Humans are far craftier.
Should I be setting the TF as amphib or transport for this?
Re: Is there a resource that shows where all the LCUs went historically?
Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:48 pm
by Nezlezar
Platoonist wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:12 pm
For the division and brigade sized units Googling their names is probably the best option. For a lot of the base forces it'll be tougher as most (but not all of them) represent a grouping of smaller service companies devoted to logistics, construction, medical services, maintenance, aviation, security and so forth. This was probably done to keep the number of discrete units in the game within sane limits.
Yeh, it's been the engineers that give me the most pause. I just had a bunch of air wing supports arrive. So like, 90 aviation support is wonderful but I don't know well enough to understand where they are even supposed to go. Mainly, because at this point (mid January '42), I certainly don't have enough planes to require that support. That will all change, but I feel like I am going to realize I need them long after they should have been there in the first place. Heck, for all I know, some might even have to stay on the west coast.
Re: Is there a resource that shows where all the LCUs went historically?
Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:02 pm
by Platoonist
Nezlezar wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:42 pm
Should I be setting the TF as amphib or transport for this?
Probably transport as you can get more men aboard each ship. Amphibious if the enemy is at the gates of Rangoon as you don't won't want to land in a battlefield in strategic move mode. However, amphibious has other merits too as less tightly packed ships mean lighter troop losses if ships do get sunk enroute. Plus, in an emergency situation you can beach on the on the coast and march into Rangoon if you have too.
It'd probably be good idea to have any fighter groups in Rangoon set up to do LRCAP on such TFs just before their expected arrival. That way if they should come up one hex short due to the vagaries of movement on the sprint into Rangoon you will still have some air cover. Another advantage of having some escorts vessels embedded in such a TF is that Japanese naval bombers sometimes pay more attention to destroyers than the fat, slow transports and the tin cans are generally slim, swift, and sinuous.
Re: Is there a resource that shows where all the LCUs went historically?
Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:02 am
by Platoonist
Regarding your original question about resources on what unit went where during the war this map is pretty good on showing the deployment of US Army divisions anyway. No Marine divisions shown unfortunately. Japanese unit information is always a bit harder to find but maybe there's a good Japanese site with English translations somewhere.
https://www.armydivs.com/pacific-theater
Re: Is there a resource that shows where all the LCUs went historically?
Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:59 am
by CaptBeefheart
As the allied player, you can easily trace almost all units to either NorPac, CenPac, SoPac, SWPac, ABDA, Southeast Asia or China by their HQ. All you have to do then is look up where the command boundaries were and funnel the units to their intended theater. For base units and engineers, which are harder to track down on Wiki than say divisions, this assures your units will be spread out to the correct places. On your second or third playthrough you may deviate once you realize South East Asia Command doesn't have enough engineers, for instance, or you want to try an ahistorical approach to the Home Islands.
Regarding Rangoon, it's a tough place to send supplies and troops unless you have definite air and naval superiority. I've had success with convoys from Calcutta and Diamond Bar to Akyab and Ramree Island keeping troops operating in the Irriwaddy Valley supplied. LSTs and xAKLs are pretty good for Ramree, as larger ships will take a while to unload and be good targets.
EDIT: Nice map for the US Army divisions above. For the Marines, Wiki will cover all of the divisions.
Also, this book is an excellent reference for the whole thing, including tons of maps, division histories and a timeline of events:
https://www.amazon.com/Pacific-War-Ency ... 0816043930
Cheers,
CB
Re: Is there a resource that shows where all the LCUs went historically?
Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:13 am
by btd64
I have a large book on the US Army oob that mentions all of the locations during WWII. Don't have my eyes on it at the moment....GP
Re: Is there a resource that shows where all the LCUs went historically?
Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:12 pm
by SuluSea
I'd guess quite a few players like to use troops in their theater of operation but unless you are going to attempt to simulate the same exact movements and action things are going to change & could change quickly.
Re: Is there a resource that shows where all the LCUs went historically?
Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:17 pm
by RangerJoe
If i remember correctly, someone posted the Japanese troop deployments in their AAR. I forget who did that, however.
Re: Is there a resource that shows where all the LCUs went historically?
Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:01 pm
by sstevens06
Platoonist wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:02 am
Regarding your original question about resources on what unit went where during the war this map is pretty good on showing the deployment of US Army divisions anyway. No Marine divisions shown unfortunately. Japanese unit information is always a bit harder to find but maybe there's a good Japanese site with English translations somewhere.
https://www.armydivs.com/pacific-theater
I could swear there is another map like this one for the USMC Divisions as well. Found it somewhere on this site:
https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/PTO/index.html
Will post it up if I can find it again.
Re: Is there a resource that shows where all the LCUs went historically?
Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:13 pm
by RangerJoe
Not a map but a list of the 6 US Naval Infantry Divisions during WW2, where they formed, and where they fought.
https://www.usmcu.edu/Research/Marine-C ... s-in-WWII/
Re: Is there a resource that shows where all the LCUs went historically?
Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:36 pm
by Nezlezar
Great information, thanks everyone!!