Page 1 of 1

New commander needa advice, please!

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2000 5:43 am
by Mark Shakespeare
Hi, I've just started playing the game, and I was hoping for a little advice!

I have a problem getting infantry loaded into/onto vehicles during a game. Basically, if I want to move the vehicle into the same hex as the infantry in order to load up, I click on the vehicle, then try to click on the hex containing the infantry - but the game assumes I'm clicking on the infantry unit itself, so I can't move the vehicle! The same happens the other way round. Now, I presume that the requirement to have the infantry and the vehicle in the same hex was for the sake of realism - but it makes it difficult to reload infantry once they've disembarked. Does anyone have any advice as to how I can get round this?

Secondly, is there a way for a vehicle to reverse without turning round? I frequently fight battles where, using Panthers against T-34s/Shermans/Cromwells, I want to retreat towards my heavier units, having deployed the lighter tanks as far forwards as possible in order to start shooting as early as possible. However, I really don't want to expose my rear armour when doing so! I know that reversing should be slow, say a quarter of maximum speed, but it could prove useful. Any way of doing this? (I know I could use smoke. The problem is that a unit which can see me past the smoke can still out a shell through my engine).

Also, a question of a more theoretical nature. The game allows us to fight battles up to 1945, and if you do so, you get the appropriate units for the Americans, British and Russians. But the Germans and Japanese are stuck with what they had in 1945. Does anyone have any information on possible weapons developments for the Axis countries which might have gone into service after the respective countries were historically defeated? I know of plans for a Panther II mounting the 88mm L/71, and of course there's the Maus, but what about any others?

Finally, just a quick query, more out of curiosity than anything else - since starting playing Steel Panthers World At War, how many of you have stopped playing the original Steel Panthers??

Thanks for taking the time!

Mark Shakespeare

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2000 6:06 am
by Alby
Originally posted by Mark Shakespeare:
Hi, I've just started playing the game, and I was hoping for a little advice!

I have a problem getting infantry loaded into/onto vehicles during a game. Basically, if I want to move the vehicle into the same hex as the infantry in order to load up, I click on the vehicle, then try to click on the hex containing the infantry - but the game assumes I'm clicking on the infantry unit itself, so I can't move the vehicle! The same happens the other way round. Now, I presume that the requirement to have the infantry and the vehicle in the same hex was for the sake of realism - but it makes it difficult to reload infantry once they've disembarked. Does anyone have any advice as to how I can get round this?

Secondly, is there a way for a vehicle to reverse without turning round? I frequently fight battles where, using Panthers against T-34s/Shermans/Cromwells, I want to retreat towards my heavier units, having deployed the lighter tanks as far forwards as possible in order to start shooting as early as possible. However, I really don't want to expose my rear armour when doing so! I know that reversing should be slow, say a quarter of maximum speed, but it could prove useful. Any way of doing this? (I know I could use smoke. The problem is that a unit which can see me past the smoke can still out a shell through my engine).

Also, a question of a more theoretical nature. The game allows us to fight battles up to 1945, and if you do so, you get the appropriate units for the Americans, British and Russians. But the Germans and Japanese are stuck with what they had in 1945. Does anyone have any information on possible weapons developments for the Axis countries which might have gone into service after the respective countries were historically defeated? I know of plans for a Panther II mounting the 88mm L/71, and of course there's the Maus, but what about any others?

Finally, just a quick query, more out of curiosity than anything else - since starting playing Steel Panthers World At War, how many of you have stopped playing the original Steel Panthers??

Thanks for taking the time!

Mark Shakespeare
Hold down the "shift" key when you want to move into a hex that already contains one of your units,... second I dont know of any way of moving in reverse, it would be a nice addition though,....Dont know the answer to your third question, as for the fourth, My steel panthers III online CD sure is getting dusty...LOL!!


Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2000 6:28 am
by Wild Bill
ALby answered the loading, unloading question well, Shakespeare.

No reverse in the game, discussed, but never added.

It would have been very good to have had those possible units for the Axis powers, but again, time worked against us.

SP1 is now history for me. I still play SP2 and design scenarios for it. SP3 is still on my computer but I rarely play it.

Wild Bill

------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2000 7:54 am
by ncpanther
I unistalled the first three steel Panthers games after 1 week of playing SPWAW . How long has this Been out? whenever it came out is how long its been since i played the others. what can I say I'm a Junkie

------------------
NC
Airborne Sappers Lead the way!!
SAPPERS ATTACK!!!!

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2000 11:11 am
by Randy
Hi, I have all three still on my hard drive. I keep SP1 on, so that I can continually be amazed at the difference between it and SPW@W. I like the vedio sequence in SP2 (I'm
a former Marine, so I like the Marine equip.)
As far as new German stuff near the end of the war, I can only think of one other vehicle. This would have been the German Kugleblitz. This was to have been a new SP
AA tank. It was a panzer lV chassis with I
think twin 37mm guns in a covered turret. Similar to the US M-42 Duster w/ overhead protection. Good luck and enjoy the game!!
Semper Fi
Randy

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2000 2:11 pm
by AmmoSgt
I still have SP3 and SP3 Moderna on my drive i really like the SP3 scale and i like SP2 the modern stuff yeah where ya can hit something occasionally and the artillery has culster munitions that is really cool and missles and helicopters and jets and tanks with incredible armor that can shoot thru smoke .. all that good stuff that SPWAW doesn't have yeah thats the ticket ......
oh wait nevermind thats on the old puter i gave the kid a couple of months ago gee i hope they haven't deleted it or anything i really liked those games i think i will play one right after i vote .. for president which i need to do soon .... Image

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2001 12:38 am
by Mark Shakespeare
Thanks for the advice about loading - no more f*&%ing around!!!

Reversing - pity! Any chance for V5.0? <g>