Page 1 of 1
USMC Museum near Quantico
Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:10 pm
by Lowpe
Not being a Marine, I never went before yesterday. My loss, an excellent museum worth a trip. Easily one of the best Military Museums I have ever been to. Probably better than all, except for the Smithsonian. YMMV.

- SBD.JPEG (726.76 KiB) Viewed 611 times
Re: USMC Museum near Quantico
Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:16 pm
by RangerJoe
Do they have a display with tootsie roll candies?
Re: USMC Museum near Quantico
Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:55 pm
by joey
Lowpe wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:10 pm
Not being a Marine, I never went before yesterday. My loss, an excellent museum worth a trip. Easily one of the best Military Museums I have ever been to. Probably better than all, except for the Smithsonian. YMMV.
SBD.JPEG
Have you been to the Air force Museum? It is quite good. I have been to a number of air related museums, and I find the Smithsonian and the Air Force Museum two of the best. I will have to travel to the Marine museum.
Re: USMC Museum near Quantico
Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 9:07 pm
by btd64
joey wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:55 pm
Lowpe wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:10 pm
Not being a Marine, I never went before yesterday. My loss, an excellent museum worth a trip. Easily one of the best Military Museums I have ever been to. Probably better than all, except for the Smithsonian. YMMV.
SBD.JPEG
Have you been to the Air force Museum? It is quite good. I have been to a number of air related museums, and I find the Smithsonian and the Air Force Museum two of the best. I will have to travel to the Marine museum.
I've been to the Air Force Museum 3 to 4 times. Both the Smithsonian and the Marine Museum are on the list....GP
Re: USMC Museum near Quantico
Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 11:05 pm
by Lowpe
joey wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:55 pm
Lowpe wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:10 pm
Not being a Marine, I never went before yesterday. My loss, an excellent museum worth a trip. Easily one of the best Military Museums I have ever been to. Probably better than all, except for the Smithsonian. YMMV.
SBD.JPEG
Have you been to the Air force Museum? It is quite good. I have been to a number of air related museums, and I find the Smithsonian and the Air Force Museum two of the best. I will have to travel to the Marine museum.
Air Force Museum, yep...
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... lit=museum
Re: USMC Museum near Quantico
Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:50 pm
by Lowpe
Head on view:

- sbd.JPEG (817.85 KiB) Viewed 527 times
Re: USMC Museum near Quantico
Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:24 pm
by sstevens06
Very nice - thank you for sharing.
Best museum I've been to in a while was Udvar-Hazy National Air and Space Museum in Chantilly, VA (near Dulles Airport).
Re: USMC Museum near Quantico
Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:05 am
by CaptBeefheart
My old man lives near there and I've been to the USMC Museum once. It has a very, very good section on the Pacific War. And the best thing about it? It's got a replica of the Tun Tavern serving craft beer on premises.
I usually hit up Udvar-Hazy when I go back there. I'm slowly teaching my 7-year-old daughter all the aircraft. I took her down to Kitty Hawk to the Wright Bros Memorial on the last trip (Yorktown and Williamsburg were part of that run as well).
I managed to get to Wright-Pat once on business, and I'd highly recommend the USAF Museum there. Worthy ship museums I've been to are the USS Midway in San Diego, the USS Intrepid in NYC and the HMS Belfast in London.
I'll probably think of some others later.
Cheers,
CB
Re: USMC Museum near Quantico
Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:58 pm
by Lowpe
I have been to Udvar Hazy.... great planes of ww2 there....
I love the J1N1s they have...I think the only one that exists. Smaller than I thought.
Re: USMC Museum near Quantico
Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:30 pm
by joey
I like the B-36 and the Buff. The B-36 typifies planes of that long lost era.