Virus Alert
Moderator: maddog986
- riverbravo
- Posts: 336
- Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:25 am
- Location: Bay St Louis Ms.
Virus Alert
There is a nasty virus called the "worm blaster".
I picked it up.There is a patch and a removal tool.
The bug attacks windows and causes the system to shutdown in 1 min.You cant stop it from shuttimng down,you can only watch the time tick down as you try to stop it.
I got it last night.I got the fix it patch and it still didnt root out the foul abomination.So I had to pull out the big guns and get the removal too from symatec.symatec
It will also cause you to not log on for a bit after removal,at least it did me,maybe it attacked my ISP?
GOOD lUCK I hope you guys are in the clear.
better check out youre systems just in case.
I picked it up.There is a patch and a removal tool.
The bug attacks windows and causes the system to shutdown in 1 min.You cant stop it from shuttimng down,you can only watch the time tick down as you try to stop it.
I got it last night.I got the fix it patch and it still didnt root out the foul abomination.So I had to pull out the big guns and get the removal too from symatec.symatec
It will also cause you to not log on for a bit after removal,at least it did me,maybe it attacked my ISP?
GOOD lUCK I hope you guys are in the clear.
better check out youre systems just in case.
I laugh at hurricanes!
-
Blunderbuss
- Posts: 71
- Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2003 11:24 pm
- Location: Consett, NE England
- Marc von Martial
- Posts: 5292
- Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:00 pm
- Location: Bonn, Germany
- Contact:
- Marc von Martial
- Posts: 5292
- Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:00 pm
- Location: Bonn, Germany
- Contact:
This virus is all over the place. It attacks based on the RPC endpoint mapper so pretty much every single machine running Windows can get hit by it.
Part of the virus actually does Denial of Service attacks on Microsoft to try and prevent you from being able to download the service packs and fixes required.
Take this one seriously, it has probably hit about a 1/4 of the PC's on the planet so far and is spreading like wildfire now.
Information:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/d ... .worm.html
There is a removal tool located there, but simply removing it does not fix the problem as you can be re-infected.
Microsoft Patch:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treevi ... 03-026.asp
(hey Marc, quit typing faster then me!)
Part of the virus actually does Denial of Service attacks on Microsoft to try and prevent you from being able to download the service packs and fixes required.
Take this one seriously, it has probably hit about a 1/4 of the PC's on the planet so far and is spreading like wildfire now.
Information:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/d ... .worm.html
There is a removal tool located there, but simply removing it does not fix the problem as you can be re-infected.
Microsoft Patch:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treevi ... 03-026.asp
(hey Marc, quit typing faster then me!)
- Fallschirmjager
- Posts: 3555
- Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:46 am
- Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Best protection is just to be careful
I have all cookies blocked except those I allow
I dont open ppl from e-mail I do not know
Is someone sends me a e-mail and I know them..but I they did not tell me they are putting an attachment with it...I will not open it
I never let webpages auto-download software
I always format disks and cds before using them
A little common sense will go a long way
I have all cookies blocked except those I allow
I dont open ppl from e-mail I do not know
Is someone sends me a e-mail and I know them..but I they did not tell me they are putting an attachment with it...I will not open it
I never let webpages auto-download software
I always format disks and cds before using them
A little common sense will go a long way
- Marc von Martial
- Posts: 5292
- Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:00 pm
- Location: Bonn, Germany
- Contact:
Originally posted by Mr.Frag
This virus is all over the place. It attacks based on the RPC endpoint mapper so pretty much every single machine running Windows can get hit by it.
Part of the virus actually does Denial of Service attacks on Microsoft to try and prevent you from being able to download the service packs and fixes required.
Take this one seriously, it has probably hit about a 1/4 of the PC's on the planet so far and is spreading like wildfire now.
Sounds like a "Terminator 3" advertising gag, LOL
Hey Fall, unless you are specifically running some port blocking protection, you are wide open to this particular exploit.
Open up a command prompt and type:
netstat -an | more
You will see on the very first page:
TCP 0.0.0.0:135 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
Thats the attack port. Unless you are blocking port 135 from the Internet, you can be hit.
Any of the many Personal Stealth Firewalls can protect you, but really, I agree with Marc, anyone not running some form of virus protection these days is simply playing with loaded dice. It is just a matter of time.
This actual issue and it's fix was released on the 17th last month, yet today, people are still getting creamed by it because they always think they are safe. :rolleyes:
Open up a command prompt and type:
netstat -an | more
You will see on the very first page:
TCP 0.0.0.0:135 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
Thats the attack port. Unless you are blocking port 135 from the Internet, you can be hit.
Any of the many Personal Stealth Firewalls can protect you, but really, I agree with Marc, anyone not running some form of virus protection these days is simply playing with loaded dice. It is just a matter of time.
This actual issue and it's fix was released on the 17th last month, yet today, people are still getting creamed by it because they always think they are safe. :rolleyes:
-
Les_the_Sarge_9_1
- Posts: 3943
- Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 10:00 am
Hear hear Fallschirmjager
I have my anti virus set
anti social mode generally speaking, but I surf at will and have not had troubles.
The main reason is I DO NOT open email I don't recognise ever.
I have found that careless thinking with email goes the farthest with doing damage.
In aaaaaaaall the years online, I have only been effected by viruses twice (that's since 1990 in my case). And in both cases I had downloaded an infected file.
I have my anti virus set
anti social mode generally speaking, but I surf at will and have not had troubles.
The main reason is I DO NOT open email I don't recognise ever.
I have found that careless thinking with email goes the farthest with doing damage.
In aaaaaaaall the years online, I have only been effected by viruses twice (that's since 1990 in my case). And in both cases I had downloaded an infected file.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
- Fallschirmjager
- Posts: 3555
- Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:46 am
- Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
- Marc von Martial
- Posts: 5292
- Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:00 pm
- Location: Bonn, Germany
- Contact:
- Marc von Martial
- Posts: 5292
- Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:00 pm
- Location: Bonn, Germany
- Contact:
-
Procrustes
- Posts: 347
- Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 3:52 am
- Location: Upstate
This one takes advantage of specific holes in Windows. If you do the "windows update" you can't get hit. But you should still run an antivirus and a firewall if you can. (I finally got my McAfee firewall configured right - been amazed at the number of intrusive pings and queries that get stopped. Last week even had a couple of people searching for open ports on my home computer.)
- Marc von Martial
- Posts: 5292
- Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:00 pm
- Location: Bonn, Germany
- Contact:
- Bobthehatchit
- Posts: 838
- Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2003 7:15 pm
- Location: GREAT BRITAIN
I work for an IT firm, and it been doing nuts all day lots of people got stung by this and lots more will tomorrow.
Its gona be another crappy day tomorrow, who ever produced this little gem need kneecapping.
Its gona be another crappy day tomorrow, who ever produced this little gem need kneecapping.
"Look at yours before laughing at mine". Garfield 1984.
Wanted: ISDII Low millage in Imperial gray.
Just my 2 pence worth.
I might not be right.
Hell I am probaby wrong.
But thats my opinion for what its worth!
Wanted: ISDII Low millage in Imperial gray.
Just my 2 pence worth.
I might not be right.
Hell I am probaby wrong.
But thats my opinion for what its worth!
- Bobthehatchit
- Posts: 838
- Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2003 7:15 pm
- Location: GREAT BRITAIN
Originally posted by Pawlock
Hmm, I picked that little Motherf*cker up last week and it drove me bonkers I can tell you.
It shuts down your pc after 1 min and timed for 1 min. Well it was a nighmare to saty online long enought to d/load the nessecary file to eradicate it.
You can stop the shut down process by going:
Click Start/Run/ type "shutdown /a" without the "" and run this
"Look at yours before laughing at mine". Garfield 1984.
Wanted: ISDII Low millage in Imperial gray.
Just my 2 pence worth.
I might not be right.
Hell I am probaby wrong.
But thats my opinion for what its worth!
Wanted: ISDII Low millage in Imperial gray.
Just my 2 pence worth.
I might not be right.
Hell I am probaby wrong.
But thats my opinion for what its worth!
- Marc von Martial
- Posts: 5292
- Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:00 pm
- Location: Bonn, Germany
- Contact:
- Bobthehatchit
- Posts: 838
- Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2003 7:15 pm
- Location: GREAT BRITAIN
Originally posted by Marc Schwanebeck
But then again these guys secure jobs, LOL.
I can live without that kind of help!
Althought the company did shift every copy of av software in the place! And quite a few copies that we don't have as of yet..... althought the customers don't need to know that!:D
"Look at yours before laughing at mine". Garfield 1984.
Wanted: ISDII Low millage in Imperial gray.
Just my 2 pence worth.
I might not be right.
Hell I am probaby wrong.
But thats my opinion for what its worth!
Wanted: ISDII Low millage in Imperial gray.
Just my 2 pence worth.
I might not be right.
Hell I am probaby wrong.
But thats my opinion for what its worth!
- Marc von Martial
- Posts: 5292
- Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:00 pm
- Location: Bonn, Germany
- Contact:



