Page 1 of 2

Kamikaze settings in the editor

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2024 12:50 pm
by Cavalry Corp
sorry, I have lost my manual at the moment :)

Do I need to check the Kamikaze tab to enable a unit to perform this action?
In the scn tab, there is a Kamikaze tab as well should that be ticked as on? Will, that allow all units to become Kamikaze?? Or what does it do?

In my game, I can convert some units to Kamikaze, but not others. Is this why?

Cav

Re: Kamikaze settings in the editor

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2024 1:05 pm
by Cavalry Corp
Sorry forgot about the PDF manual...
I have seen in the editor that the kami avail button ticked on ( on the scn page) would allow any unit to convert from the start and it would seem that if an air unit is ticked as kami it will come on the map as such. But the usual criteria apply.

The strange thing is in my game, I have a few units I can convert, but others are greyed out. I am still not sure why...

And Does a unit that comes on as Kamikaze (a sqdrn or units that have Kamikaze as yes in the editor )have better exp in low-level N attack to match this or not? And if not then the only advantage of the button is to give K status earlier than may be triggered by the game itself - hard coded?

C

Re: Kamikaze settings in the editor

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2024 5:08 am
by Chris21wen
If selected Kamikaze tells the pilots to carry out suicide attacks against a target irrespective of Date. It has no other effect on the unit.

Normal Kamikaze attacks become active on or after 1 Jam 1944 as per normal rules 7.4.2.3 in new manual.

Re: Kamikaze settings in the editor

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2024 1:17 pm
by btd64
I believe that Kamikaze's become active after the Allies pass a certian line....GP

Re: Kamikaze settings in the editor

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2024 5:24 pm
by RangerJoe
btd64 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 1:17 pm I believe that Kamikaze's become active after the Allies pass a certian line....GP
Not necessarily true.

Re: Kamikaze settings in the editor

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2024 5:39 am
by Chris21wen
btd64 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 1:17 pm I believe that Kamikaze's become active after the Allies pass a certian line....GP
They can become active before that date depending on the situation, what those are I cannot remmber but it's in the rules. That is the date they always become active.

Re: Kamikaze settings in the editor

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:43 am
by Cavalry Corp
Tks -

Re: Kamikaze settings in the editor

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2024 10:56 am
by btd64
Chris21wen wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 5:39 am
btd64 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 1:17 pm I believe that Kamikaze's become active after the Allies pass a certian line....GP
They can become active before that date depending on the situation, what those are I cannot remmber but it's in the rules. That is the date they always become active.
OK, Thanks for the clarification. With all the time I have spent with the manual, you would think that I would remember this. :cry: :lol: :roll: ....GP

Re: Kamikaze settings in the editor

Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2024 10:38 am
by Ian R
The trigger is, IIRC, the allies, prior to 440101, take a base from the IJ within 20* sea hexes of Tokyo, Takao or Saigon. It also triggers on 440101 anyway.

[* Old references to 15 hexes appear to be an artifact from vanilla WITP.]

Re: Kamikaze settings in the editor

Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2024 10:42 am
by btd64
Ian R wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 10:38 am The trigger is, IIRC, the allies, prior to 440101, take a base from the IJ within 20* sea hexes of Tokyo, Takao or Saigon. It also triggers on 440101 anyway.

[* Old references to 15 hexes appear to be an artifact from vanilla WITP.]
That sounds right....GP

Re: Kamikaze settings in the editor

Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2024 12:16 pm
by Cavalry Corp
So why is Kamikaze greyed out on most units - just a few can convert in my game.... you would think it would be all. That is why I was asking for my m od in case I need to change something- any help?

Cav

Re: Kamikaze settings in the editor

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 3:40 am
by PaxMondo
Cavalry Corp wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 12:16 pm So why is Kamikaze greyed out on most units - just a few can convert in my game.... you would think it would be all. That is why I was asking for my m od in case I need to change something- any help?

Cav
It's been a while since I had kami's activate, and quite a while since I chose to convert them voluntarily. The 440101 date sounds correct in terms of activating kami's. Of course, as IJ, you will individuals go kami on you depending upon morale and how the war is going. As IJ, this is one thing you have to really manage as you can lose a lot of your best pilots this way.

Sorry, digressing ....

I believe that there is a limit to how many units you can convert to kami each turn. IIRC it is 2. Once you have converted those, you have to wait until the next turn to convert more.

Re: Kamikaze settings in the editor

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 7:22 am
by Chris21wen
PaxMondo wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 3:40 am
Cavalry Corp wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 12:16 pm So why is Kamikaze greyed out on most units - just a few can convert in my game.... you would think it would be all. That is why I was asking for my m od in case I need to change something- any help?

Cav
It's been a while since I had kami's activate, and quite a while since I chose to convert them voluntarily. The 440101 date sounds correct in terms of activating kami's. Of course, as IJ, you will individuals go kami on you depending upon morale and how the war is going. As IJ, this is one thing you have to really manage as you can lose a lot of your best pilots this way.

Sorry, digressing ....

I believe that there is a limit to how many units you can convert to kami each turn. IIRC it is 2. Once you have converted those, you have to wait until the next turn to convert more.
Correct

Re: Kamikaze settings in the editor

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 8:02 am
by Cavalry Corp
I have not been able to convert any for ages - will look around my game on next turn and report...

Cav

Re: Kamikaze settings in the editor

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 7:58 pm
by Cavalry Corp
I see this....
kScreenshot 2024-08-07 140719.jpg
kScreenshot 2024-08-07 140719.jpg (178.34 KiB) Viewed 1605 times

Re: Kamikaze settings in the editor

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2024 6:28 am
by Chris21wen
I've just tried this using the Downfall scenario under v26b and 27 and I cannot change any randomly selected units to Kamikaze. Some start as Kamikaze but I could convert none then realised it was the first trun.

Second turn using 26b. I tried all the ac based at Tokyo and I could convert some but which one appears random. For instance there are to IDA groups one will one won't convert. The ones that will are mainly light bombers (LB) but not all, there's one F group.

Checked other locations and found the majority of LB would convert but again not all and there was a scattering of MB and F (one a Frank unit) that would. There was even a patrol group that would. I've have not check ever single unit but the vast majority of those I did check were mostly training units but again, not all.

You can also change ac. This does't appear to affect the groups ability to change to Kamikaze.

I also check the editor in an attempt to identify the reason. None of those checked ever had the Kamikaze flag on and there was no other flag I could see to explain what's going on.

It's obvious the rules as stated in the manual are incorrect which states '...if the aircraft squadron is of the appropriate type (essentially anything other than a Transport aircraft squadron can become a Kamikaze squadron).

Re: Kamikaze settings in the editor

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2024 9:18 am
by Cavalry Corp
Chris,

Yes, I agree with your analysis.

I will test the editor to see if changing the actual squadron to K and see what it does. It may allow it at any time, which would be ok, but it may mean it only K, which would not.

BTW, J used all planes, even transports, as K .

In my mod I have allowed the building of some K types with bigger bombs and DT etc. I think I have found two units that actually convert.

What does that number 7 mean??

Cav

Re: Kamikaze settings in the editor

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2024 6:24 am
by Chris21wen
Cavalry Corp wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 9:18 am Chris,

Yes, I agree with your analysis.

I will test the editor to see if changing the actual squadron to K and see what it does. It may allow it at any time, which would be ok, but it may mean it only K, which would not.

BTW, J used all planes, even transports, as K .

In my mod I have allowed the building of some K types with bigger bombs and DT etc. I think I have found two units that actually convert.

What does that number 7 mean??

Cav
I noticed that and it's a good question. I'd like to think it's a delay of somekind but that is speculation.

Re: Kamikaze settings in the editor

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2024 2:39 pm
by RangerJoe
Kamikrazies are activated on or after 1 January 1944 IF the Allies have an airbase not in China and the range is, if I remember correctly, actually 21 hexes from Manila, Saigon and Mainland Japan. I do not remember if it is movement hexes or straight line distance. There are maps somewhere but I don't think that I have them on this computer.

The Allies do not have to capture said base from the Japanese, the Allies could have owned it from the beginning of the war . . .

Re: Kamikaze settings in the editor

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2024 2:54 pm
by Yaab
Is this the map?

Image