Page 1 of 1
Need help with boardgame choice!
Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:50 pm
by Kung Karl
The boardgames availible in Sweden are: Victory World War 2, Axis and Allies Europe, Diplomacy, Highway to the Kremlin, History of the World, Empires of the Ancient World, Hammers of the Scots, The American Civil War, Battlecry - The exiting Civil War Battlefield Game.
Since the only boardgame, that is a wargame, i've played is Risk I don't have much knowledge in that area. However I was thinking of buying a boardgame sometime soon but my friends aren't as avid wargamers as I am so I need a good simulation of historical strategy that is not to complex for an evnings game. Which one would you recommend of the above mentioned? And how historical accurate your choice? Which game should I stay away from?
My favourite eras is American civil war and World war 2.
Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:33 pm
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Kung you need to determine game complexity as well as time to play a game.
If the game is to be something you can play with just anyone ie not hardcore wargamers, and something that at the end of the night doesn't have to be left set up, then your choices are fairly cut and dry.
There are veeeeeeeeery few games out there that will allow you that choice.
And that is even assuming you don't mind going online and having the game shipped from outside of sweden.
For WW2 grand strategy, there are only two choices. Axis and Allies or a new game called Attack. Both are global and drop dead easy to play and one evening type games.
If you want a bit more wargame in your experience, then Victory the blocks of War by Columbia Games is a great choice. It is sold as a 2 player game that has expansion packs to allow for more players. It is very simple, yet will give you a true wargame experience too.
http://www.columbiagames.com/
But as you mentioned Hammer of the Scots I assume you are already familiar with Columbia Games. Therefore just consider this a 2 thumbs up recommendation for the game Victory from them.
Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 6:54 pm
by Belisarius
Karl,
Squad Leader and Advanced Squad Leader with expansion packs are also available here. You just have to look for it.

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:16 pm
by Paratrooper
Originally posted by Belisarius
Karl,
Squad Leader and Advanced Squad Leader with expansion packs are also available here. You just have to look for it.
New? If so, then lets do some business. I got money to spend and I'm more than willing to pay for the postage.
Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:28 pm
by Kung Karl
Yeah, I know that ASL is avilible here but it i sto advanced and I want larger scale battles. But thanks for the info!
Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 11:14 pm
by Paratrooper
Originally posted by Kung Karl
Yeah, I know that ASL is avilible here but it i sto advanced and I want larger scale battles. But thanks for the info!
www.avalanchepress.com
www.decisiongames.com
You might find something there to your liking.
Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 11:31 pm
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
PanzerGrenadier from Avalanche Press very doable price wise, not to danged complex, new and if a person would wish to play ASL, then there is a good chance this game will excite as well.
Only thing keeping it off my shelf is I can't have everything (although I do try hehe).