Page 1 of 1

Font/DPI Appearance Changes in Programs after Exiting AB2

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2024 12:07 am
by jhdeerslayer
Played my first scenario and when it finished, and I exited the game, my Chrome, Outlook, etc. has changed the font/DPI appearance -- for lack of a better description. Text is light and hard to read in programs outside of AB2. Kind of a washed out appearance. After a reboot, all is fine.

I also see this if I Win Key + D to send the game to the Taskbar.

I'm running on Win10 with Intel 13700k CPU and Nvidia 2060 Super GPU (with latest driver). Playing in Full Screen mode - 2560 x 1440.

Never seen this before in the many games I play and happy to provide pics, information, etc. to troubleshoot this issue.


Update - Turning my Alienware OLED AW2725DF (set at 400 HDR) on and off returns the video to normal. Could be how AB2 program interacts with HDR or something. Everything great in game and only exiting from AB2 does this happen

Re: Font/DPI Appearance Changes in Programs after Exiting AB2

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2024 9:45 am
by Remontti
Same here.

I need turn Windows HDR setting off and on after exiting AB2

Re: Font/DPI Appearance Changes in Programs after Exiting AB2

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2024 2:24 pm
by jhdeerslayer
Remontti wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2024 9:45 am Same here.

I need turn Windows HDR setting off and on after exiting AB2
Good glad I'm not alone... Minor but odd nuisance

Re: Font/DPI Appearance Changes in Programs after Exiting AB2

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2024 1:58 am
by Veitikka
Is it only in the fullscreen mode? Screenshots could be useful.

Re: Font/DPI Appearance Changes in Programs after Exiting AB2

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2024 8:42 pm
by Wahala
I used to have this issue with AB1 and also the AB2 beta early on, then I worked out that toggling the HDR off then on (in windows settings) after exiting AB2 beta then the display issue was fixed.
Strangely since then it has not happened again either in the beta or the launch version.

Re: Font/DPI Appearance Changes in Programs after Exiting AB2

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2024 6:55 pm
by Remontti
Veitikka wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2024 1:58 am Is it only in the fullscreen mode? Screenshots could be useful.
Yes. It happens only in fullscreen mode. You can't capture the effect in screenshot. You would need to take photo of monitor with camera in order to show it.
To put it simply the screen brightness in desktop is just lot less after exiting game than it was before starting the game. But like said before flipping the HDR setting off and on in windows resets things back normal.

I'm using LG 32GP850 monitor and it is a HDR monitor. Using Nvidia 2080GTX and Windows 11 pro

Re: Font/DPI Appearance Changes in Programs after Exiting AB2

Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2025 11:27 pm
by Barleyman
Me too.

Win-ALT-B is the HDR hotkey so at least it's easy to toggle it off and on that way.

Re: Font/DPI Appearance Changes in Programs after Exiting AB2

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2025 1:27 pm
by Pawsy
Same problem - turns my screen colours to a darker shade of black every time I exit AB2. Surprised this got through testing?

Re: Font/DPI Appearance Changes in Programs after Exiting AB2

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2025 10:10 pm
by Veitikka
AB doesn't support HDR, so it shouldn't do any changes to colors. I haven't found anything about Windows colors changing when running a non-HDR game. Perhaps it's related to how well the other software support OpenGL? Someone said that he had the issue with AB1, so it's probably not caused by more advanced OpenGL features in AB2.

In addition to toggling HDR off, I can only recommend updating relevant software/drivers or trying Windows HDR calibration.

Re: Font/DPI Appearance Changes in Programs after Exiting AB2

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2025 11:21 am
by Barleyman
It's fairly likely that the graphics library used does something funny with HDR and/or SDR colours.

One possible hand-off workaround for this is to use this utility:
https://github.com/cocafe/HDRSwitch

You can make a small batch file to start AB2 and on exit toggle HDR off and back on.