Page 1 of 1

Heavy Artillery Area Affects

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2001 6:16 am
by appunk
I observed while playing the Corrigedor Scenario that the Japanese naval guns were causing casulaties to units in hexes adjacent to those where the shells landed.
Later, while reading the manual, I came across a section that stated that "heavy bombs and artillery" cause the observed affect. I'm wondering what size shells constitute "heavy" artillery for the game. 75mm+? 120mm+?

Also, I wonder whether in a future version of the game, an option might be included to change from converged to dispersed sheaf for artillery bombardments. . . .
Currently it seems that batteries use the same 4 hex north to south pattern as the original SP games. Perhaps an option could be included to change this burst pattern??


Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2001 7:14 am
by troopie
I believe it's 105mm. But I've gotten the same results from 25lbers and 81mm mortars.

troopie

------------------
Pamwe Chete

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2001 8:32 am
by Paul Vebber
Its possible for anything with a warhead size of 6 or more, the larger the bigger effect on adjacent hexes.

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2001 1:31 pm
by Sami
Originally posted by appunk:
...I came across a section that stated that "heavy bombs and artillery" cause the observed affect. I'm wondering what size shells constitute "heavy" artillery for the game. 75mm+? 120mm+?
Well, the answer has been already given by troopie and Paul, but in case you're interested, this page has some general information of fragmentation
http://www.winterwar.com/Weapons/artyinfo.htm
Originally posted by appunk:

Also, I wonder whether in a future version of the game, an option might be included to change from converged to dispersed sheaf for artillery bombardments. . . .
Currently it seems that batteries use the same 4 hex north to south pattern as the original SP games. Perhaps an option could be included to change this burst pattern??
- Doesn't "converged sheaf" mean, that all guns of the battery fire in the "same point", while "battery sheaf" is the one that is used in the game???

But an option of choosing the sheaf is a very good idea, IMHO.

Cheers,
Sami

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2001 8:45 pm
by BA Evans
Originally posted by appunk:

Also, I wonder whether in a future version of the game, an option might be included to change from converged to dispersed sheaf for artillery bombardments. . . .
Currently it seems that batteries use the same 4 hex north to south pattern as the original SP games. Perhaps an option could be included to change this burst pattern??

Try using some off board rockets. They land much more dispersed than normal artillery.

BA Evans