Page 1 of 1
New Forum Format Complaint
Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 8:38 pm
by BryanMelvin
The new Forum format looks great; however, the news ticker must go. Why?
It is causing my message box to jump and down when the ticker begins writing a second line!
Next, the smilies cannot be selected when clicked on but you can use the : ; ( ) keys to make them.
The message box jumps up and down and is hurting my eyes everytime the news ticker jumps to print a second line. I need to go - I feel dizzy now!!!!!!
Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:39 pm
by Frank W.
newsticker

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:03 pm
by Voriax
Luckily it doesn't show in Netscape. And because Marc dislikes NS hopefully he won't 'fix' it either
Voriax
News Ticker
Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:43 am
by simulacrum
Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 6:05 am
by Jim1954
What I found about the ticker was that due to the 1) resolution I am running at work (stuck with that) and 2) the fact that I had my favorites side bar open, one of the messages was too long to display on 1 line. I closed out the sidebar and the problem went away.
This was Friday. If I scrunch the screen up some now, the ticker drops a line but the screen doesn't.
News Ticker
Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 6:58 pm
by simulacrum
Shouldn't need to change screen resolution or browser format in order to accomodate what amounts to PR news release announcements.
Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:53 am
by VikingNo2
So is the only way for the smile to work is by me changing my network browser ?
Oh Lordy!
Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:45 am
by Bernie
Oh Lordy!!
It wasn't broke, so why, oh why, did someone feel the need to "fix" our forums???
I agree, the news ticker must die... I'm using 800x600 (because that's what I prefer) and the jumping every time it goes to two lines is annoying in the extreme. (Not to mention pushing what I'm typing off the bottom of my screen!) Furthermore, at 800x600 the list of threads is wider than my screen, meaning I have to constantly scroll to see who posted the last message in a thread. Most annoying!!
Then there's the colors... Even with my brightness and contrast properly adjusted it's d@mn hard to read messages headers printed in black on a dark blue background.
Also, there are simply too darn many buttons and links on the screen now. Yes, I know most of them were there before, but they weren't as intrusive as they are now, nor were they as repetative. (Do we
really need more than one link on a screen back to the forums??)
Another annoying "feature" is that now every time you go to a new screen the top window has to redraw itself all over again. Folks on broadband connections may not care about that, but those of us on dial-up accounts are sitting here twiddling our thumbs while we wait for it to happen. If you
must use a top window for a menu bar, how about just leaving the sucker up there and target the new screen to just the lower window?
Whoever implemented this... We appreciate your efforts, and the fact that you're trying to improve things here, but there wasn't anything wrong with the old system! It was easy to read, easy to navigate, and 100% functional. And let's face it... We (the forum members) aren't here for fancy graphics, pretty buttons, and moving text. We're here to share our thoughts, experiences, and our expertise with our fellow SP:WAW addicts. This new system does little to enhance that, and much to hinder it.
Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:49 am
by Bernie
Addendum:
The "Rate this Thread" function is not working for "regular" users.
My browser's (IE 5.5) "back" function no longer allows me to return to the previous screen as the URL for the page is not changing, only the frame is.
Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:43 pm
by M4Jess
I cant see who is on!!! mad.....I dont like this at all!
Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:50 am
by rbrunsman
My smilies aren't working, I can't use Bold, Italics or Underline or any of the other font buttons when I post. And, that banner at the top uses an awful lot of real estate even on my 19" monitor. Besides that, you're preaching to the chior here! We all know who/what Matrixgames is. We don't need to be reminded of it 24/7.
Also, while I'm at work, it's hard to fake like I'm really working with "MATRIXGAMES" splashed across the top of my computer in huge lettering! At least before the change, I could scroll the headers up so that it just looked like I was reading something work related.
Bottom Line = Your changes suck!
Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:55 pm
by Irinami
Yeah guys, the effort is greatly appreciated, but you're writing to guys who don't need flashy graphics to have fun. If this were like, WarCraft forums, I could see it... but not here.
As for the frame format, I'll quote Motörhead:
<i>Put me in a frame so even if I win, I lose.</i>
I've got a decent 17-incher, and I run it at 800x600 to have--as Douglas Adams put it--large, friendly letters on my screen. The frame really cramps this.
Although, it just occurred to me...
If y'all made the Main frame into an OD-Green display such that it looked like you were looking at the forums through a tank's vision-slit, that might be cool.

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:08 am
by tracer
Hey! I just noticed that I've been
demoted
Well, being a hero was fun while it lasted.
