Page 1 of 3

What makes you genuinely proud to be (insert your nation here)

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:12 am
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Ok in a time when half the non wargame posts are about something most prefer to do nothing but argue over, I want to know what makes your truely and specifically proud to be what you are (insert nation name here).

What inspired this, I was just watching the Shania Twain performance at the Juno Awards of her tune Forever and Always.

Dang it that girl is a fine singer, I am glad she's ours :)

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:19 am
by Igotmilk™
Les the Sarge 9-1 wrote:Ok in a time when half the non wargame posts are about something most prefer to do nothing but argue over, I want to know what makes your truely and specifically proud to be what you are (insert nation name here).
You getting booted from your modship after you went on your Little Hitler "power" spree over a miniscule amount of "power" you were entrusted with.

I have never seen someone so desperate for power, it was embarrasing to watch. Made me proud of my country and feel bad for members of yours.

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:45 am
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Thank god for the "Ignore User" function eh guys.

I will only be able to see posts that have something to say.

If the thread goes nowhere I won't mind.

If miscreants insist on making their point of origin look bad that will be their own shame.

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:51 am
by Igotmilk™
Les the Sarge 9-1 wrote:If the thread goes nowhere I won't mind.
If that were true you would not have locked and delted threads when you had the "power". Now when you don't like the truth you have to try to blow it off. Try to spin it how you like, we know the truth. :D

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:24 am
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Rant on no one is listening, well at least not me :).

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:31 am
by Igotmilk™
Les the Sarge 9-1 wrote:Rant on no one is listening, well at least not me :).
How do you know if I am ranting if I am on ignore? Are you a liar Les? :D

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:45 am
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Well it was a nice try, thought I might get some opinions worth mention, maybe it is wrong time of day.
If all I can accomplish is to give wingnut here a reason to increase his post count then I might as well ask a moderator to move this to Art of Wargaming and let him rant on about whatever his posts are about in there.

Can someone relocate this thread when they get a chance?

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:42 am
by Belisarius
It would have been nice to see people's answers to this question, and I was about to write one myself. It's a good question, it's not one you think of everyday, especially not some specific reasons to why you feel proud about something.

However, our lactating friend burned this thread to the ground with the first reply. ;) :rolleyes:

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:14 pm
by Blunderbuss
Les the Sarge 9-1 wrote:Ok in a time when half the non wargame posts are about something most prefer to do nothing but argue over, I want to know what makes your truely and specifically proud to be what you are (insert nation name here).

What inspired this, I was just watching the Shania Twain performance at the Juno Awards of her tune Forever and Always.

Dang it that girl is a fine singer, I am glad she's ours :)
I have already posted quite a few of my thoughts (under various names) on the pros and cons of living in the UK at this website www.whatswrongwithbritain.com, which also has a flipside forum ("whats right"). The folk posting on these two forums do not pull their punches, and some of it can make for unpleasant (and poorly informed) reading.

There are certain Brits who I (and many others) regard as national treasures. I would include the following:- David and 'Dickie' Attenborough, Patrick Moore, David Jason, Ronnie Barker, Bobby Charlton, John Mills and (grudgingly, because I'm no royalist) the present Queen.

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:45 pm
by BrubakerII
I was going to write a few lines about why I like being who and what I am as well but in the end I thought that it is simply inciteful to do so. Inviting us to be perochrial (sp?) online is simply inviting us to highlight the differences between our cultures. Instead why not invite us to expound on what we think are our similarities.

I like wargames.
I like PC technology.
I most often prefer the company of you gents to flesh and blood buddies.
I (think) I must be a computer nerd ;)
My country of origin or religion or culture is mostly irrelevant.

Brubaker - and I eat quiche ;)

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:58 pm
by U2
Blunderbuss wrote: There are certain Brits who I (and many others) regard as national treasures. I would include the following:- David and 'Dickie' Attenborough, Patrick Moore, David Jason, Ronnie Barker, Bobby Charlton, John Mills and (grudgingly, because I'm no royalist) the present Queen.
Hey I don't see John Cleese on your list! :D

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:08 pm
by Blunderbuss
U2 wrote:Hey I don't see John Cleese on your list! :D
That's because he isn't funny any more (I don't think he's done anything really amusing since The Meaning of Life)! Actually, Michael Palin may qualify for the list. He is VERY well respected over here.

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:14 pm
by U2
Blunderbuss wrote:That's because he isn't funny any more (I don't think he's done anything really amusing since The Meaning of Life)! Actually, Michael Palin may qualify for the list. He is VERY well respected over here.
I like Michael Palin a lot too. I really love his travel shows

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:22 pm
by Kung Karl
BrubakerII wrote:I was going to write a few lines about why I like being who and what I am as well but in the end I thought that it is simply inciteful to do so. Inviting us to be perochrial (sp?) online is simply inviting us to highlight the differences between our cultures. Instead why not invite us to expound on what we think are our similarities.

I like wargames.
I like PC technology.
I most often prefer the company of you gents to flesh and blood buddies.
I (think) I must be a computer nerd ;)
My country of origin or religion or culture is mostly irrelevant.

Brubaker - and I eat quiche ;)
Whats wrong about being proud of somthing about your nation? You don't have to be a rasist or similar just because you are proud of your country.
I think it is funny to talk to people from diffrent cultures because they ARE diffrent. I don't think less about them just because they are diffrent. Hey, I applaud it! But I am also proud of my country.

Which american honestly say they don't feel proud when they read about d-day? I bet the french feel proud when they read about Napolen and the glorius Imperial French army. Thats they way it is. It is nothing wrong with it as I see it. It only becomes wrong when you look down on others and try to tell them how to live their lives.

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:15 pm
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Cleese is still great, but Rowan Atkinson is pure honest silly funniness hehe.

Talked with Shaun the other day, man talk about interesting. Give the man the flu and it hardly matters if we are using the same words from the same language hehe.

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:42 pm
by Blunderbuss
Les the Sarge 9-1 wrote:Cleese is still great, but Rowan Atkinson is pure honest silly funniness hehe.
So what are these great films/tv programmes that John Cleese has done lately? If you can name some, I'll try and watch them (and possibly revise my opinion).

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:42 pm
by Blunderbuss
Les the Sarge 9-1 wrote:Cleese is still great, but Rowan Atkinson is pure honest silly funniness hehe.
So what are these great films/tv programmes that John Cleese has done lately? If you can name some, I'll try and watch them (and possibly revise my opinion).

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:42 pm
by Blunderbuss
Les the Sarge 9-1 wrote:Cleese is still great, but Rowan Atkinson is pure honest silly funniness hehe.
So what are these great films/tv programmes that John Cleese has done lately? If you can name some, I'll try and watch them (and possibly revise my opinion).

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:42 pm
by Blunderbuss
Les the Sarge 9-1 wrote:Cleese is still great, but Rowan Atkinson is pure honest silly funniness hehe.
So what are these great films/tv programmes that John Cleese has done lately? If you can name some, I'll try and watch them (and possibly revise my opinion).

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:42 pm
by Blunderbuss
Les the Sarge 9-1 wrote:Cleese is still great, but Rowan Atkinson is pure honest silly funniness hehe.
So what are these great films/tv programmes that John Cleese has done lately? If you can name some, I'll try and watch them (and possibly revise my opinion).