Page 1 of 1

Where / how / can I rebuild a destroyed LCU?

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2025 12:45 am
by Hoplosternum
I used to play this game many years ago and recently fired up an old XP pc I have and found this game again :D . So I have started a campaign vs the AI just for old times sake and to see if I want to try a PBEM again. I am loving it so far but I seem to have forgotten half the rules.

I have looked in the manual and searched the war room for this - but I can’t find where to buy back destroyed LCUs.

I have found where to buy back my lost air units - it’s a button on one of the air squadron listings (unit reinforcements/ withdrawals I think?). But I cannot see a similar button for LCUs.

But I thought I could buy back these? And the threads I read in War room about LCU buy backs suggested I could (but did not say where / how I could).

The game is at an early stage but I have lost some allied LCUs I am sure. The Guam base force for one. Plus the Hong Kong garrison (which I forgot to airlift out fragments of), instead sending fragments out by ship. All of which met a watery end after the AI put both Cruisers in the South China Sea and flew Netties in the area :shock:

I know Chinese units just reappear in the reinforcement queue at Chungking and maybe some HQ units too. But I thought I could rebuild anything else?

Is there a delay? Are some units permanently gone if lost? Am I just not looking in the right place?

Any help appreciated!

Re: Where / how / can I rebuild a destroyed LCU?

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2025 1:07 am
by RangerJoe
Hoplosternum wrote: Wed Sep 10, 2025 12:45 am I used to play this game many years ago and recently fired up an old XP pc I have and found this game again :D . So I have started a campaign vs the AI just for old times sake and to see if I want to try a PBEM again. I am loving it so far but I seem to have forgotten half the rules.

I have looked in the manual and searched the war room for this - but I can’t find where to buy back destroyed LCUs.

I have found where to buy back my lost air units - it’s a button on one of the air squadron listings (unit reinforcements/ withdrawals I think?). But I cannot see a similar button for LCUs.

But I thought I could buy back these? And the threads I read in War room about LCU buy backs suggested I could (but did not say where / how I could).

The game is at an early stage but I have lost some allied LCUs I am sure. The Guam base force for one. Plus the Hong Kong garrison (which I forgot to airlift out fragments of), instead sending fragments out by ship. All of which met a watery end after the AI put both Cruisers in the South China Sea and flew Netties in the area :shock:

I know Chinese units just reappear in the reinforcement queue at Chungking and maybe some HQ units too. But I thought I could rebuild anything else?

Is there a delay? Are some units permanently gone if lost? Am I just not looking in the right place?

Any help appreciated!
On the intelligence screen you can find a place where the destroyed LCUs are showing, you can buy them from there if they do not withdraw nor if they are static units.

Re: Where / how / can I rebuild a destroyed LCU?

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2025 10:45 am
by btd64
Hoplosternum wrote: Wed Sep 10, 2025 12:45 am I used to play this game many years ago and recently fired up an old XP pc I have and found this game again :D . So I have started a campaign vs the AI just for old times sake and to see if I want to try a PBEM again. I am loving it so far but I seem to have forgotten half the rules.

I have looked in the manual and searched the war room for this - but I can’t find where to buy back destroyed LCUs.

I have found where to buy back my lost air units - it’s a button on one of the air squadron listings (unit reinforcements/ withdrawals I think?). But I cannot see a similar button for LCUs.

But I thought I could buy back these? And the threads I read in War room about LCU buy backs suggested I could (but did not say where / how I could).

The game is at an early stage but I have lost some allied LCUs I am sure. The Guam base force for one. Plus the Hong Kong garrison (which I forgot to airlift out fragments of), instead sending fragments out by ship. All of which met a watery end after the AI put both Cruisers in the South China Sea and flew Netties in the area :shock:

I know Chinese units just reappear in the reinforcement queue at Chungking and maybe some HQ units too. But I thought I could rebuild anything else?

Is there a delay? Are some units permanently gone if lost? Am I just not looking in the right place?

Any help appreciated!
Go to the intel screen. Look in the lower right hand side of the screen for Ground units lost, or something like that. Click and you will find all of your lost units. Before I look at the list I click on supress something,in the upper left of the screen about 2 to 3 lines down. I'm not on my computer at the moment. :D . Then you can select which units to rebuild. Word of advise, Don't buy back any commonwealth units. I also don't buy back any units that are for named locations unless I am taking that location back. Dutch units have few replacements as well. So don't buy them back. Hopefully this helps. And welcome back. 8-) ....GP

Re: Where / how / can I rebuild a destroyed LCU?

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2025 11:21 am
by Hoplosternum
Thank you RangerJoe and GP

Re: Where / how / can I rebuild a destroyed LCU?

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2025 11:32 am
by btd64
Your welcome....GP

Re: Where / how / can I rebuild a destroyed LCU?

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2025 11:43 am
by RangerJoe
You can buy the Dutch units back but only fill them with the common devices and use them in bases to help out, they can give the extra support devices that may be needed. For the Dutch, restrict your infantry replacements so you can upgrade your militia devices. Look up the upgrades for the various squad devices, some Commonwealth squads update to Indian squads.

Re: Where / how / can I rebuild a destroyed LCU?

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2025 11:57 am
by btd64
RangerJoe wrote: Wed Sep 10, 2025 11:43 am You can buy the Dutch units back but only fill them with the common devices and use them in bases to help out, they can give the extra support devices that may be needed. For the Dutch, restrict your infantry replacements so you can upgrade your militia devices. Look up the upgrades for the various squad devices, some Commonwealth squads update to Indian squads.
ALl of which are in very short supply....GP

Re: Where / how / can I rebuild a destroyed LCU?

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2025 12:49 pm
by RangerJoe
btd64 wrote: Wed Sep 10, 2025 11:57 am
RangerJoe wrote: Wed Sep 10, 2025 11:43 am You can buy the Dutch units back but only fill them with the common devices and use them in bases to help out, they can give the extra support devices that may be needed. For the Dutch, restrict your infantry replacements so you can upgrade your militia devices. Look up the upgrades for the various squad devices, some Commonwealth squads update to Indian squads.
ALl of which are in very short supply....GP
The older squads, such as the Burmese squads, when they are upgraded are returned to the stockpile as Indian squads. Then they can be used again to upgrade other units.