Lower national will to fight with a declared attack
Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:43 pm
Prior to Japan’s undeclared attack on the US, anti-war sentiment was extremely high. Everyone remembered the loss of life of Americans in the last European war and noone wanted to get involved in another one. Sure there were some communist sympathizers who wanted to save the Soviet Union (see “Treason” by Anne Coulter, now on the bestseller’s list) but most Americans were happy to let the fight remain overseas. Americans were equally unconcerned about the Chinese. Americans were ok with putting pressure on Japan to withdraw from China but war, no way.
This all changed with Japan’s undeclared attack on the US, much like Americans’ resolve to fight terrorism strengthened after the September 11th attacks. It was not Japan’s SURPRISE attack, it was the undeclared nature of the attack that did it.
I would like to see an option in WitP where the Japanese declared war prior to the attack (like they intended to do but screwed it up with decoding the message in time). The game effect of this should be a MUCH lower threshold required for victory. The US’s will to fight would not be nearly as high as it was historically. I don’t know what the details would be like, but I think it is something to consider. It would be an alternative scenario, something like scenario 19 in Uncommon Valor.
This all changed with Japan’s undeclared attack on the US, much like Americans’ resolve to fight terrorism strengthened after the September 11th attacks. It was not Japan’s SURPRISE attack, it was the undeclared nature of the attack that did it.
I would like to see an option in WitP where the Japanese declared war prior to the attack (like they intended to do but screwed it up with decoding the message in time). The game effect of this should be a MUCH lower threshold required for victory. The US’s will to fight would not be nearly as high as it was historically. I don’t know what the details would be like, but I think it is something to consider. It would be an alternative scenario, something like scenario 19 in Uncommon Valor.