Page 1 of 1
Air War Manual Control a Newbie Struggle
Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2025 4:38 pm
by ladner
Folks -
getting back into this monster of a game again. Watched one of Matteo Bosso's videos which was highly informative. Playing Road to Leningrad, figured a good way to get things started and manageable.
Anyhow using manual control got what seemed look too many Ju-88s shot out of the sky. Think he had recommended minimum settings 10 bomber/2 fighter then 40 bomber/10 fighter.
Would highly appreciate any pointers.
Re: Air War Manual Control a Newbie Struggle
Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2025 7:02 pm
by DeletedUser1769703214
ladner wrote: Thu Sep 25, 2025 4:38 pm
Folks -
getting back into this monster of a game again. Watched one of Matteo Bosso's videos which was highly informative. Playing Road to Leningrad, figured a good way to get things started and manageable.
Anyhow using manual control got what seemed look too many Ju-88s shot out of the sky. Think he had recommended minimum settings 10 bomber/2 fighter then 40 bomber/10 fighter.
Would highly appreciate any pointers.
No way! That is suicide. At a minimum for Germany 1 to 1 but would shot for 2 to 1 or higher.
Re: Air War Manual Control a Newbie Struggle
Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2025 9:35 pm
by ladner
In fairness to Matteo Bossa his guide was for the 1st turn Axis air set up. But I am currently just experimenting with launching the 1st turn air strikes on Road to Leningrad to get a sense of what results in the best outcome with minimal losses.
Re: Air War Manual Control a Newbie Struggle
Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2025 2:57 am
by MarkShot
I have played that many times.
I only fly recon when I need to make a decision. Most recon questions for that scenario can be guessed with 80% accuracy.
I only use my fighter/bomber assets for ground support, and only for late scenario critical battles (toggled). Get there fast.
I manage my SUs and load up the siege/assault forces with pioneers, and their HQs with all arty assets. (As you are doing this via up/down OKH, you need to know 2 turns in advance when cracking Leningrad begins.)
Re: Air War Manual Control a Newbie Struggle
Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2025 9:52 am
by ladner
MarkShot wrote: Fri Sep 26, 2025 2:57 am
I have played that many times.
I only fly recon when I need to make a decision. Most recon questions for that scenario can be guessed with 80% accuracy.
I only use my fighter/bomber assets for ground support, and only for late scenario critical battles (toggled). Get there fast.
I manage my SUs and load up the siege/assault forces with pioneers, and their HQs with all arty assets. (As you are doing this via up/down OKH, you need to know 2 turns in advance when cracking Leningrad begins.)
At this stage I'm tyring to wrap my mind around the air war model and how to efficiently deploy the assets. I don't have that many hours of playing this game so effectively relearning after a long hiatus.
In truth never played a campaign long enough to master the finer points of SU management. Which I suspect is critical when you get into heavily defended areas or playing at harder difficult and especially when against a human opponent.
I know turn one is unique in that there is a surprise bonus and some other mechanics in play that allow for a greater concentration of airfield strikes then normal.
Re: Air War Manual Control a Newbie Struggle
Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2025 7:43 pm
by Teo41_ITA
ladner wrote: Thu Sep 25, 2025 9:35 pm
In fairness to Matteo Bossa his guide was for the 1st turn Axis air set up. But I am currently just experimenting with launching the 1st turn air strikes on Road to Leningrad to get a sense of what results in the best outcome with minimal losses.
Please, take into account that my guide was recorded over 1 year ago. If you notice too many losses, try playing around with the number of escort fighters.
Re: Air War Manual Control a Newbie Struggle
Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2025 10:08 am
by ladner
Teo41_ITA wrote: Fri Sep 26, 2025 7:43 pm
ladner wrote: Thu Sep 25, 2025 9:35 pm
In fairness to Matteo Bossa his guide was for the 1st turn Axis air set up. But I am currently just experimenting with launching the 1st turn air strikes on Road to Leningrad to get a sense of what results in the best outcome with minimal losses.
Please, take into account that my guide was recorded over 1 year ago. If you notice too many losses, try playing around with the number of escort fighters.
I have been experimenting with just running and then rerunning turn1 air for Road to Leningrad, it has been helpful. It seemed running any sort of naval interdiction on the ports that would be in the Courland area are severely punished, of course could be outside of fighter range.