Page 1 of 4

*sigh* I hate my PC

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:32 am
by Fallschirmjager
Some of you may remember my problem of my PC slowing down to unplayable framrate on 3-D games


Well....the problem hasnt gotten any better
And it makes my best system all but unusable for gaming


I have no idea what the problem is and have tried anything and am unable to fix the problem

This problem is really annoying and means I cant play games on this system anymore

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:39 am
by wodin
PM with detials I will see if I can help.

Not promising anything though!

Wodin

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:58 am
by Von Rom
Fallschirmjager wrote:Some of you may remember my problem of my PC slowing down to unplayable framrate on 3-D games


Well....the problem hasnt gotten any better
And it makes my best system all but unusable for gaming


I have no idea what the problem is and have tried anything and am unable to fix the problem

This problem is really annoying and means I cant play games on this system anymore
Fallschirmjager:

I feel your pain.

A few years ago I was having real problems with my PC. It would crash; I would get the blue screen of death, etc.

I kept having to take it back to the shop where I had it made, but all their efforts seemed to come to naught.

I was one frustrated gamer :mad:

Then one weekend my PC started acting up again, I called the shop, but they said it would be several days before they could see my computer.

So, left with no choice I decided to format my hard drive myself (and we are talking about a real PC novice), then re-install all my hard ware piece by piece.

Well, it took me an entire day. And you know something? I haven't had a problem with my PC since then. That was 3 years ago, and I still have the same PC - a WIN '98, PII 350 (ya, I know, don't laugh).

So, for 3 years I have had a problem-free PC. I haven't formatted my hard drive for 3 years. All I do once a week is run spybot, scan disk, and defrag.

So there is hope. And it may be just around the corner. . .

Cheers!

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:45 am
by Fallschirmjager
:mad:


I installed windows back over itself...and still have the problem

Im just going to reformate the **** thing

How do I do it?...and whats the easiest way to do it?

Im using windows xp pro

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:32 am
by Losqualo
Did you try a system recovery? With Windows XP you have the possibility to recover your system. I would try to recover it to that state when XP was freshly installed. Then only the driver updates, and see if it get's any better.

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:36 am
by Wallenstein
What are your system specs?
Which graphics drivers do you use?
Did you have the problem from the beginning on or did it occur after a certain event, software or hardware installation?

If you´ve given up and you want to formate your drive and reinstall Windows(XP?), here´s one way to do it:
Insert the Windows CD, restart your PC, but make sure you have booting from CD enabled in the BIOS.
The Windows installation sequence will begin, you will be asked to format your drive there.
Just follow the instructions and wait...
Getting the newest drivers for your hardware would also be a good idea...

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:08 am
by Fred98
Quote:
…..my PC slowing down to unplayable framrate on 3-D games and it makes my best system all but unusable for gaming…


// Then play 2D games instead. Uncommon Valour, Korsun Pocket, Close Combat. We are currently in wargaming heaven with more great wargames to come.

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:41 pm
by Pawlock
Fallschirmjager wrote:Some of you may remember my problem of my PC slowing down to unplayable framrate on 3-D games


Well....the problem hasnt gotten any better
And it makes my best system all but unusable for gaming


I have no idea what the problem is and have tried anything and am unable to fix the problem

This problem is really annoying and means I cant play games on this system anymore

Try downloading some of the speed tests and benchmarking programmes for your PC to compare with others.

I had this problem on my old PC and the tests showed a poor hard disk performance.

I sold my PC not long after to a freind cheap (he knew all the probs) not long after the hard disk went completely.

If your hard disk aint working properly this will definatly slow your system down. A lot of people forget to look there, but it may be worth a shot.

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:41 pm
by Pawlock
Fallschirmjager wrote:Some of you may remember my problem of my PC slowing down to unplayable framrate on 3-D games


Well....the problem hasnt gotten any better
And it makes my best system all but unusable for gaming


I have no idea what the problem is and have tried anything and am unable to fix the problem

This problem is really annoying and means I cant play games on this system anymore

Try downloading some of the speed tests and benchmarking programmes for your PC to compare with others.

I had this problem on my old PC and the tests showed a poor hard disk performance.

I sold my PC not long after to a freind cheap (he knew all the probs) not long after the hard disk went completely.

If your hard disk aint working properly this will definatly slow your system down. A lot of people forget to look there, but it may be worth a shot.

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:17 pm
by Raindog101
Fallschirmjager wrote:Some of you may remember my problem of my PC slowing down to unplayable framrate on 3-D games


Well....the problem hasnt gotten any better
And it makes my best system all but unusable for gaming


I have no idea what the problem is and have tried anything and am unable to fix the problem

This problem is really annoying and means I cant play games on this system anymore
It's probably the CPU. You need to upgrade every 3 years, to play the latest 3D games.

At Best Buy you can get a PC that will play any game on the market today for a paltry $800.00. If it breaks, just throw it away and go buy another one.

You are going to need a new PC to play "Call of Duty"

That demo is truly amazing.

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:06 pm
by Von Rom
Fallschirmjager wrote::mad:


I installed windows back over itself...and still have the problem

Im just going to reformate the **** thing

How do I do it?...and whats the easiest way to do it?

Im using windows xp pro
One thing I was told was to never install windows over itself. I tried that several years ago, and I still had problems. Doing this may cause you to use up even more disk space and memory.

The best thing I found was to reformat my hard drive and simply get rid of all the garbage it had accumulated.

I don't have XP pro, so I would follow Wallenstein's advice here.

Even do a google for formatting and re-installing for XP pro. Then carefully re-install all your hardware devices (it's actually easier than we think), and make sure you get all the latest drivers for your hardware.

The way I look at it is you have absolutely nothing to lose by doing this.

Hope it all works out :)

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:27 pm
by Fallschirmjager
Alright

Im off to do this

Lets hope this cures the problem

The problem started after...
My original system hardrive died and they sent me a replacement
My original was a 40 gb IBM
They sent me back a Hitachi 40 GB
Does anyone know the if their are any problems with this model? Or could you look it up for me?
If so....Ill call Alienware and give them hell until they send me an IBM back
The model is a: Hitachi-DK23EB-40


Anyways...The problem is not me needing an upgrade
I have a P4 2.2ghz
512 mb DDR ram
Ati Mobility Radeon 7500

So my system is capable of running anything on the market

Ok..im off to reformat
If im not back by tonight assume the worst

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:56 pm
by Wallenstein
Fallschirmjager wrote:Alright

The problem started after...
My original system hardrive died and they sent me a replacement
My original was a 40 gb IBM
They sent me back a Hitachi 40 GB
Does anyone know the if their are any problems with this model? Or could you look it up for me?
If so....Ill call Alienware and give them hell until they send me an IBM back
The model is a: Hitachi-DK23EB-40
IBM´s storage division has been sold to Hitachi last year, so all former IBM drives now have a Hitachi label. Your hd may not be the latest piece of art, but I think it fits well in a common home system.
Anyway, good luck with the new setup!

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:23 pm
by Fallschirmjager
Ok...back for help

When I use my recovery disk it only wants to reinstall over itself...

How do I make it delete my current install and make a fresh one?

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:52 pm
by Belisarius
Fallschirmjager wrote:Ok...back for help

When I use my recovery disk it only wants to reinstall over itself...

How do I make it delete my current install and make a fresh one?
If you want to erase the whole drive and make a fresh install, do away with the recovery disk. Grab your OS disk (W98/2000/XP/Mac/Linux/...) and flip it in. You will then be asked if you want to format the drive prior to installation of the OS.

Try This

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:54 pm
by chief
Falls>>>>>Before I do anything I go here and post my question on the appropriate forum http://discussions.virtualdr.com/ its kept me on the air for quite a while and has cured lots of problems. Its free and usually fast, in fact your problem may already be answered. Good luck guy. :) :cool:

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:54 pm
by Fallschirmjager
Recovery desk is my OS disk

It asks me if I want to replace....but it simply reinstalls over the old install

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:49 am
by Von Rom
Fallschirmjager wrote:Recovery desk is my OS disk

It asks me if I want to replace....but it simply reinstalls over the old install
I did a google and here are a couple of sites that may be of assistance:

http://www.google.ca/search?q=cache:tyS ... n&ie=UTF-8


http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwb ... 70935.html

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:20 am
by Fred98
You “did a Google”???

The advent of the internet is not an excuse for poor grammar :mad:

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:55 am
by Von Rom
Joe 98 wrote:You “did a Google”???

The advent of the internet is not an excuse for poor grammar :mad:
Don't worry, the new usage of "google" as a verb, rather than as a noun, will soon be in the next version of dictionaries :D

I googled; he googled; we all googled. . .

We googled all night long. . .

Cheers!