Page 1 of 1
Windows ME Follies
Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2001 12:18 am
by Warrior
YOW! I just got a new computer (Pentium 4 - brag, brag) with Windows ME, a truly monster graphics card (64Mb GeForce2 Ultra), and serious speakers. After 4 hard drive formats, numerous problems with my ADSL drivers, and other assorted system frustrations over the past few days, I'm finally back in the land of the living gamers. SPWaW has never sounded so amazing or looked so good, but more importantly for the guys whose games I'm testing, I'm now able to get back to work playing them. (I love that juxtaposition of "work" and "play." It sounds oxymoronic to say I work at playing SPWaW, but it's true... just ask my girlfriend!) It's great to be back.
Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2001 12:57 am
by Scipio Africanus
Wow, Does Windows ME actually work?
Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2001 8:28 pm
by Warrior
Windows ME itself seems to be OK (believe me, if I was up to yet ANOTHER full hard drive format, I'd switch back to Win 98 SE in a New York minute), but I'm having a problem with SPWaW starting. I'm hoping some tweaking I did will correct it. The game will be OK through the intro, but then fail to load further. If this continues I'll consult our tech support guys. If there is cause, it's quite probably traceable to my DSL modem drivers, and should hopefully disappear when I get the new internal modem that works with the Ethernet card, and whose drivers are supposedly clean. As for Windows ME, I'm stuck with it, so I have to "adapt and overcome" as Clint Eastwood said in Heartbreak Ridge.
[This message has been edited by REMF (edited January 09, 2001).]
Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2001 8:17 am
by Alby
Originally posted by REMF:
Windows ME itself seems to be OK (believe me, if I was up to yet ANOTHER full hard drive format, I'd switch back to Win 98 SE in a New York minute), but I'm having a problem with SPWaW starting. I'm hoping some tweaking I did will correct it. The game will be OK through the intro, but then fail to load further. If this continues I'll consult our tech support guys. If there is cause, it's quite probably traceable to my DSL modem drivers, and should hopefully disappear when I get the new internal modem that works with the Ethernet card, and whose drivers are supposedly clean. As for Windows ME, I'm stuck with it, so I have to "adapt and overcome" as Clint Eastwood said in Heartbreak Ridge.
[This message has been edited by REMF (edited January 09, 2001).]
HMMM I am running windows ME, No problems with the system or spwaw at all
[This message has been edited by Alby (edited January 09, 2001).]
Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2001 8:51 am
by Warrior
Originally posted by Alby:
HMMM I am running windows ME, No problems with the system or spwaw at all
[This message has been edited by Alby (edited January 09, 2001).]
I'm jealous. SPWaW seems OK now after a reinstall. I discovered the cause of my other system problems is indeed the DSL modem drivers, so hopefully when I can get that replaced, things will clear up.
[This message has been edited by REMF (edited January 09, 2001).]