Page 1 of 1

Why so many Chauchats?

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2026 2:45 pm
by Q-Ball
Just curious why there are so many Chauchats on the Nationalist side? In-game, monthly production is 863/mo, and in February 1937 I currently have nearly 2,000 in the pool. It's the standard LMG for the Nationalist Army, mostly because I don't have anything else in numbers. (I detailed some other shortages for the Nationalists in my AAR just now).

During the actual Civil War, I can only find that the Nationalists used captured Chauchats. They definitely weren't buying any from the French. Where are all these Chauchats coming from?
1.jpg
1.jpg (16.14 KiB) Viewed 484 times
It's fine if it's an abstraction of other LMGs......there isn't a ton of difference between them.

Per Claude, the most common type for the Nationalists was the Hotchkiss M1922, of which 3000 were in Spain in 1936, and the Nationalists got most of them (they were in arsenals in Oveido and La Corruna). The Oveido Arsenal also produced an improved version, the M1938, so there was also domestic production of the Hotchkiss. Later, the Nationalists got German LMGs, and at the end of the war alot of Breda 37s from Italy (maybe some were left behind by the CTV)

The Republic used the Chauchat, mostly shipments from Poland (the Poles were notoriously hard bargainers with the Republic; the Pilsudski regime didn't favor them politically, but were willing to sell overpriced junk leftover from the Russo-Polish War, and the Republic was desparate for weapons). Apparently the Chauchats were hated by the Republicans like they were 20 years earlier by the French (although they did at least fix the open magazine, so that didn't foul).

Nationalist usage reportedly was limited to examples abandoned by the Republic. I can't find any record of Nationalists purchasing Chauchats abroad, and they were not produced in Spain (or by anybody after 1922)

Re: Why so many Chauchats?

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2026 10:31 pm
by Piteas
Well, the chauchat was abundant in nationalist hands.
In October 1936, the nationalists possessed 5,000 Chauchats. This was due to the steamship Sylvia, a foreign-flagged merchant vessel, was transporting a significant arms shipment from Poland for the republican side. It was intercepted and captured by the nationalist forces. This capture proved to be a strategic disaster for the Republic and a stroke of luck for Franco's troops, as the cargo included 5,000 Chauchat M15 machine guns, along with over a million rounds of ammunition.


But it's possible the chauchat production is too high. The 863/mo seems unreal. I need to check it.

Re: Why so many Chauchats?

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2026 11:28 pm
by Q-Ball
Piteas wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2026 10:31 pm Well, the chauchat was abundant in nationalist hands.
In October 1936, the nationalists possessed 5,000 Chauchats. This was due to the steamship Sylvia, a foreign-flagged merchant vessel, was transporting a significant arms shipment from Poland for the republican side. It was intercepted and captured by the nationalist forces. This capture proved to be a strategic disaster for the Republic and a stroke of luck for Franco's troops, as the cargo included 5,000 Chauchat M15 machine guns, along with over a million rounds of ammunition.


But it's possible the chauchat production is too high. The 863/mo seems unreal. I need to check it.
Correspondingly, the number and production of the Hotchkiss LMG seems low....it was the primary LMG for the Nationalists

Re: Why so many Chauchats?

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2026 9:11 am
by Piteas
Yeah, the Chauchat production is excessive. I´ll fix it.

I´ll think about the hotchkiss LMG

Re: Why so many Chauchats?

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2026 8:12 pm
by Dali101
I don't know why you should fix it.... ??
You yourself described how you got them.

I spread the production over 6 months, 863 pieces.

That's really a little over 5000 pieces (the Nationalists got even more pieces from other places, but in much smaller numbers).

It's interesting that someone complains that they have a lot of LMGs.

I can assure the Nationalists that they will use them all for the hundreds of new units that are yet to come.

My 6-month distribution is up for discussion...

It could also be, for example, 2 months, 2500 pieces.

I really hope that you will approach the main SCN modifications seriously and not based on subjective feelings, thank you