Little technical problem with LOCALIZATION file
Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2026 9:14 pm
Working on my US Civil War mod, I noticied a little pb with LOCALIZATION file :
When you modify terms in LOCALIZATION file, the modifications are not taken in mind if they concern the interface of editor.
Example : I wanted to have that in interface editor :
; EDITOR (Sub Menus)
#3D= No shadows counters
#SILHOUETTES= Silhouettes
#NATO= Shadows counters
in place of vanilla terms (3D and Nato counters)
I did the modification in LOCALIZATION file and I placed it in the campaign directory, but modifications were not taken in mind
I tried to place it also in mod/Civil war command (the name of my mod)
and also directly in mods
But I obtain same result
The unic solution was that : to copy-past myy modified LOCALIZATION file directly in the main directory of the game
With this way, my modification were taken in mind
(see attached image)
But if I do not that, modifications are not taken in mind : the programm does refuse to take in mind modifications of terms of editor interface, and it does continue to display the vanilla words (3D and Nato) for the choice of preference to display counters in editor
It's not really important, I just report it in case it would be usefull.
The only bad consequence is that when your mod does modify the words of the editor interface, you have to modify the vanilla LOCALIZATION file in the main directory of the game (and it's problematic when you use lot of mods, you have each time to do this action)
Some precisions :
1°/ I do not use a french localization file, I modify only the vanilla localization file = the english localization file (the problem is not caused by Localization Fr, DE, etc)
2°/My campaign config file is set like that :
#CUSTOM_BITMAPS= 1
#CUSTOM_INTERFACE= 1
#CUSTOM_SOUND= 1
#CUSTOM_MUSIC= 1
#CUSTOM_FONTS= 0
#CUSTOM_LOCALIZATION= 1
On the other hand, I am probably the only one crazy who is trying to change words of interface editor
When you modify terms in LOCALIZATION file, the modifications are not taken in mind if they concern the interface of editor.
Example : I wanted to have that in interface editor :
; EDITOR (Sub Menus)
#3D= No shadows counters
#SILHOUETTES= Silhouettes
#NATO= Shadows counters
in place of vanilla terms (3D and Nato counters)
I did the modification in LOCALIZATION file and I placed it in the campaign directory, but modifications were not taken in mind
I tried to place it also in mod/Civil war command (the name of my mod)
and also directly in mods
But I obtain same result
The unic solution was that : to copy-past myy modified LOCALIZATION file directly in the main directory of the game
With this way, my modification were taken in mind
(see attached image)
But if I do not that, modifications are not taken in mind : the programm does refuse to take in mind modifications of terms of editor interface, and it does continue to display the vanilla words (3D and Nato) for the choice of preference to display counters in editor
It's not really important, I just report it in case it would be usefull.
The only bad consequence is that when your mod does modify the words of the editor interface, you have to modify the vanilla LOCALIZATION file in the main directory of the game (and it's problematic when you use lot of mods, you have each time to do this action)
Some precisions :
1°/ I do not use a french localization file, I modify only the vanilla localization file = the english localization file (the problem is not caused by Localization Fr, DE, etc)
2°/My campaign config file is set like that :
#CUSTOM_BITMAPS= 1
#CUSTOM_INTERFACE= 1
#CUSTOM_SOUND= 1
#CUSTOM_MUSIC= 1
#CUSTOM_FONTS= 0
#CUSTOM_LOCALIZATION= 1
On the other hand, I am probably the only one crazy who is trying to change words of interface editor