Page 1 of 1

[1900.18] Submarine Tutorial 2.1 hostile sub can never be detected in the first convergence zone

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2026 2:07 pm
by sg2002
I struggled with this scenario before and decided to try replaying it now. Before I could at least detect the hostile sub. Now it seems completely undetectable.

Reproduction instructions:
1. Open the scenario in editor.
2. Set your course to 0 degrees, speed to creep, depth to just below the layer, as instructed in the tutorial.
3. If you turn on the the god view, you'd notice that the hostile sub starts slightly outside of the first convergence zone and would pass through it, but would never be detected by your sub.

I tried all sorts of combinations of course, speed and depth settings, but nothing seems to work(now), bar blindly(god view) intercepting the sub and detecting it on the second(closer) convergence zone.

So, from my admittedly very limited understanding, Type-091 Han going full speed and sounding 89.6db should always be detected by our sonar, as assumed by the scenario design, so there's probably some kind of a bug here?

This happens in both the latest stable version and I confirmed it happening in 1900.18

Re: [1900.18] Submarine Tutorial 2.1 hostile sub can never be detected in the first convergence zone

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2026 6:39 pm
by thewood1
IIR correctly, you have to have your sub do a zig-zag pattern as it moves generally north. If you do that it eventually picks up the Han. Its actually how I discovered and later validated that doing so is similar to real life search patterns using passive sonar in sub-to -sub detection.

I'll go back and check if thats the scenario I am thinking of. It was addressed on Steam a while back.

Re: [1900.18] Submarine Tutorial 2.1 hostile sub can never be detected in the first convergence zone

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:23 pm
by sg2002
Just tried different zig-zagging course patterns a few times. Does not seem to work.

Even going parallel course to the hostile sub and keeping her in the convergence zone for a long while won't detect her.