Page 1 of 1

Do not understand Belligerency and Alignment coding

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 4:15 pm
by SittingDuck
So I have set YUG at 100% Allied but not belligerent with any Axis nation (in the editor).

I have the following two events that should be firing on the first turn and should be essentially having Germany DoW Yugoslavia. I would think it would allow GER to attack YUG (or vice versa, on the Allied turn). And yet, that does not happen.

Under Belligerence.txt:

{
#NAME= Germany: DOW Yugoslavia
#POPUP= Yugoslavia is now an active Allied ally!
#IMAGE=
#SOUND=
#FLAG= 1
#TYPE= 1
#AI= 0
#LEVEL= 0
#GV= 1[1,100]
#LINK= 0[0]
#TRIGGER= 100
#COUNTRY_ID= 45
#BELLIGERENCE_ID= 120
#DATE= 1939/09/01
#FAILSAFE_DATE= 1948/01/01
#VARIABLE_CONDITION= 120 [2] [100] [0]
#VARIABLE_CONDITION= 45 [1] [100] [0]
#BELLIGERENCE_CONDITION= [112,45]
#CONDITION_POSITION= 0,0 [0,0] [0,0] [0] [0]
}

Under War Entry.txt:
{
#NAME= Yugoslavia is 100% Allied, but not belligerent
#POPUP=
#IMAGE=
#SOUND=
#FLAG= 1
#TYPE= 1
#AI= 0
#LEVEL= 0
#GV= 1[1,100]
#LINK= 0[0]
#COUNTRY_ID= 120
#TRIGGER= 100
#ALIGNMENT= 2
#DATE= 1939/09/01
#VARIABLE_CONDITION= 120 [2] [100] [0]
}


It's interesting, because I set Italy to 100% Axis in the editor, but not belligerent with any Allied major. And sure enough, on the first Axis turn Italy declared war on France and both nations could attack one another.

So I have zero idea why this (belligerency.txt scripting) would work for them, but not for YUG/GER.

The only restriction in Belligerence.txt is that the Country_ID be that of a major (and it is - Germany).

Theoretically this doesn't make sense to me.

EDIT: I have run the game through 3 full turns and still no change in capacity to attack either nation.

Re: Do not understand Belligerency and Alignment coding

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 7:41 pm
by BillRunacre
When you load up the Axis turn, and go to War Maps, does Yugoslavia appear to be already at war, or could you manually declare war on it?

Re: Do not understand Belligerency and Alignment coding

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 9:24 pm
by SittingDuck
They are not 'at war'; Germany has to DoW on YUG even though she is 100% Allied. And that remains after 2-3 full turns. Why, I do not know. It's like the game doesn't see the scripts.

So as stated if I start YUG at 100% Allied in the editor, once booted up it does not advance to 'at war' (neither nation declares or establishes belligerency by script).

However, I did notice that oddly enough if I toggle the YUG parent nation back and forth (like UK to USSR) and the 'mobilized' status back and forth (pick a new parent, flip mob on/off or whatever) I could get the 'belligerency' checkbox to light up for YUG. Usually you cannot simply flip mobilization on and get the box active.

So I did that, and right off the bat as I loaded turn 1 Axis, as you'd expect YUG and GER were at war and could attack/invade.

I also tried it with YUG at 99%, then she rises to 100% and actively DoW on Germany - even though the Belligerence.txt event is for Germany to establish war footing with YUG.

Still, those two events by themselves (that I scripted), even with YUG set at 100% Allied but not 'belligerent' yet - that doesn't follow for not moving them into true belligerent status.

Re: Do not understand Belligerency and Alignment coding

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 12:22 am
by SittingDuck
I really do not get the sequence.

I can get Yugoslavia to amp up her mobilization and prepare for war.

Mob2 brings her to 99, she prepares for war, war entry fires and she activates.

Next turn AI Germany should be DoW on her based on Belligerency coding.

Does not. Never does.


So HOW to get an AI nation to attack another AI nation?

Understanding the file sequence is confusing.

Re: Do not understand Belligerency and Alignment coding

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 9:44 am
by BillRunacre
When you toggled Yugoslavia's controlling Major, was it the case that when it is the UK (which I would imagine is fully mobilized), Germany and Yugoslavia were already at war, but when it's the USSR, which is neutral, Yugoslavia is also neutral?

Re: Do not understand Belligerency and Alignment coding

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 2:15 pm
by SittingDuck
Oooo. That question smacks of brilliance. Let me run a few tests.

Thanks, Bill.

I have been able to get this to work with Norway before (making Germany DOW her and invade and all that), so that's why I've been stymied. You may have just asked the $100k question.

Re: Do not understand Belligerency and Alignment coding

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 2:48 pm
by SittingDuck
Bingo.

Also helps me understand a way to keep the Axis from DoW the South American majors (as they are parented, at least many of them, by USA) if the USA is neutral.

However, I note Romania and Bulgaria (although not Yugoslavia) have USSR as a parent. That would mean the Axis AI would not attack them if USSR was still neutral, correct?

Or does that change if there is an offensive script for the Axis AI to invade either of those nations?

Re: Do not understand Belligerency and Alignment coding

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 7:40 am
by BillRunacre
Yes, an offensive script would allow the Axis AI to invade Romania or Bulgaria - should you want them to do that.