Page 1 of 1
Task Force Speed
Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:42 pm
by patrickl
Playing SCN19 against AI, I always try to have a carrier TF escorting 3 to 4 transport TF from Cairns to Buna etc. I would congregate these TFs one hex NE of Cairns and next turn I would set 4 TFs to follow the slowest. Now comes the tricky part ; Which TF is the slowest ? - the one with the lowest m/c value ? I tried that but iturn out that the replenishment TF consisting an AO(cruise speed of 16 and 2 destroyers) is slower than a TF of 20AKs(speed of 10-11!). Well the AI bombers went for my replenishment TF and the AO sunk. Other times, I set the TFs to follow the replenishment TF but the TF with 20 10-knot AKs turn out to be the slowest. Has anyone figure this out? Thanks

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:50 pm
by Shaggy
Hi.
I had a simmilar problem. I think its not just the speed but also the Ops points. If one TF has higher Ops. points it will lag behind. I havnt figured out a formula to get it exact but I changed tactics and it seemed to help.
I started using fewer TFs. If you have 2 TFs you have a better chance of them staying together then if you have 5 TFs. To do this I use larger TFs and put my CVEs inside the transport TFs, splitting up the CVEs so each TF has its own cap if they get seperated. I also use land based long ranged cap to supplement the carriers planes. I split that up between the TFs too in case they get seperated.
I know having my TFs configuerd this way has its own potential dangers. But it seems to work better then trying to coordinate several TFs. If anyone has a better solution Id also like to hear it.
Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:02 pm
by Shaggy
Forgot 1 other thing. Instead of having a replentishment TF tagging along, get some fuel up to a forward base like Gili Gili. Once your TFs are on the way set their home base to Gili Gili (or where ever the fuel is). Once they unload they will go to the forward base where you can refuel them and then reset the home base to where ever you want. Or if you cant get enough fuel there before hand have your replentishment TF go to the forward base where it can be protected by the land based air and have your other TFs refuel from it on the way back.
Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:21 pm
by patrickl
Hi Shaggy,
Thanks for your advice. I will try it out. I just love the game and the forum - always something to learn.
