Page 1 of 1

Play testing difficulty

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2001 10:56 am
by Warrior
I am EXTREMELY unhappy to report continuing problems with SPWaW and my new computer, particularly because it is slowing me down on testing some new battles and campaigns. So, David, Bruce, et al., be patient, I'm playing as fast as I can (I'm used to sending a report on an individual battle about every 8 hours, but it's going to take longer now.). If anybody has any ideas as to why the game will boot OK, but not start after the intro, I'd appreciate hearing them. The REAL problem is that it doesn't happen every time!

[This message has been edited by REMF (edited January 10, 2001).]

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2001 7:51 pm
by Thornado
Hmm. maybe if you coudl tell us a little about your computer?

------------------
_______________________
Thornado
- You'll never know what hit you -

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2001 9:38 pm
by Warrior
Originally posted by Thornado:
Hmm. maybe if you could tell us a little about your computer?
Pentium 4, 1.5GHz with 400MHz system bus, 256Mb PC800 RAM, 64Mb GeForce2 Ultra graphics card, SoundBlaster Live!, 40Mb 7200rpm Hard Drive, Windows ME.

I've been told that some of these new, fast machines are literally TOO fast for some older programs, i.e., Windows 3.1 stuff, etc., but I don't think that's the case here. I also don't think this is a SPWaW game design issue, but rather some conflict within the machine.



[This message has been edited by REMF (edited January 10, 2001).]

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2001 9:38 pm
by Paul Vebber
THis is a graphics initialization problem nearly every time. Try:

Reinstalling/updating graphics drivers, DirectX, and the game.

Turn Hardware accel off

Exit all programs operating in the background

Manually set the screen res to 800x600

Have you installed any new games lately? Try uninstalling them or installing SP;WaW after you install them

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2001 9:41 pm
by Warrior
Thanks, Paul, I'll try all that stuff. I'm already running the latest graphics drivers and DirectX 8.0.

[This message has been edited by REMF (edited January 10, 2001).]