Page 1 of 2

Announcement

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:30 pm
by Wild Bill
At least some of you will be interested in knowing that the newest Mega Campaign is very close to publication.

Watch for a promo page on the Matrix site announcing the Mega Campaign and its theme.

I will say that this one is one you definitely don't want to miss. Literally thousands of man hours from almost 30 team members have produced a top of the line product. These guys have given their all to make this the best Mega Campaign you've ever seen!

While I can't say a lot at this point, I will say that this Mega-Campaign involves Western Europe and will have a different approach.

You will have four choices when you start the game. These choices are based on units inside the main unit. You can play completely through one thread, beginning to end. You can then start over, choose a new unit and play it again without repeating a single battle.

There are not as many alternate scenarios in this one, as most of those are never played anyway. Even so, a total of 130 scenarios, hundreds of articles and pictures will give you many, many hours of playing time.

The battles are balanced and fast moving. Rarely (unless you so choose) will you be faced with a long hard fight that takes days to complete.

Scenarios vary in size from quite small to huge and often you'll have the choice as to which you prefer.

Every type of situation is included, almost all of them based on historical battles. There are a few hypothetical ones, but by and large you will get the feel of what this sterling unit faced as it fought across Western Europe until V-E Day.

So get ready. Its very close. Get ready for some hard fighting.

Wild Bill

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:10 am
by Resisti
QUOTE
Even so, a total of 1030 scenarios
UNQUOTE

Please read "130 scenarios" :D ;)

Re: Announcement

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:55 am
by rich12545
Resisti wrote:QUOTE
Even so, a total of 1030 scenarios
UNQUOTE

Please read "130 scenarios" :D ;)
Either way it looks really good and you can count me in.

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:04 am
by Wild Bill
Thanks Resisti! It did seem like 1030 sometimes ;)

But these 130 will keep you busy for awhile! I'm glad you are with us, Rich...WB

By the way, Resisti is one of the best to keep the old Kunel straight :D

WB

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:06 pm
by Grimm
Sounds great! I'll be looking forward to it.

I just recently reloaded MCNA and I am really enjoying playing through that one.

Re: Announcement

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:15 pm
by Matt R
Hey Bill -

Do you need any special infantry icons for the new MC?

Thanks,
Matt.

Re: Announcement

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:59 pm
by Major_Johnson
Wild Bill wrote: While I can't say a lot at this point, I will say that this Mega-Campaign involves Western Europe and will have a different approach.

Every type of situation is included, almost all of them based on historical battles. There are a few hypothetical ones, but by and large you will get the feel of what this sterling unit faced as it fought across Western Europe until V-E Day.

So get ready. Its very close. Get ready for some hard fighting.

Wild Bill
Hmmmm, I'm guessing maybe this is going to be based on the 101st Airbourne??? :)

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:01 pm
by Paul Wykes
I can`t wait. I`ve wanted something set on the western front.

I`ve got both Lost victories and North Africa and I can`t wait. (still never finished either of them :eek: ) My north african group keeps getting attacked by Hurricane planes :(

paul

Great Stuff.....

Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:28 am
by Reg
Wild Bill wrote:You will have four choices when you start the game. These choices are based on units inside the main unit. You can play completely through one thread, beginning to end. You can then start over, choose a new unit and play it again without repeating a single battle.

I think this is a great idea. You can restart without having to grind through that first scenario (and/or variant) again and again before you get a chance to branch off into the alternative threads.

This all sounds great and I'm sure I will be one of many waiting in anticipation....

MC Scoring and Saving Difficulties

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:44 am
by simulacrum
Before committing to a new Mega Campaign, would like to know that the problems with lost leaders, and accumulated scores being lost on saving, have been fixed. Also, and hopefully, the clunky saving system was eliminated. Those difficulties make the previous MCs virtually unplayable.

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:53 am
by KG Erwin
simulacrum wrote:Before committing to a new Mega Campaign, would like to know that the problems with lost leaders, and accumulated scores being lost on saving, have been fixed. Also, and hopefully, the clunky saving system was eliminated. Those difficulties make the previous MCs virtually unplayable.
I believe the lost leader issue has been solved in this new MC. I was an article writer for the MC, so if there were prior existing issues on save games, I can't address this one. However, considering the amount of work that was put into this, I can't imagine that all previously existing technical issues would not have been addressed and corrected. This is the state of the art for Mega Campaign design. The actual design and development was done in less than three months, which is a tribute to all the guys I've had the privilege to work with on this project. Being quick does NOT mean that anything was done on the shortcut. On the contrary, this MC will be more extensive in the number of possible scenarios and in documentation than any prior release. Most of this team are veterans of previous MCs, with a few exceptions such as yours truly. The subject matter has not been covered before, and I personally can't wait to get my hands on the finished product. I know it will be a major success, and a tribute to all those we are representing. PS I must add that from what I've heard, this will also be the most challenging of all previous existing MCs. Wild Bill and his cohorts used all the tricks in SPWaW design, and invented some new ones, so be forewarned. ;)

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:55 pm
by Wild Bill
I'll say candidly that we have eliminated part of the leader problem by doing a better job with the core force. I can't say that all of it is gone.

We still saw vestiges of it occasionally BUT let me say that team members have played through three of the four threads, scenario by scenario and are working on the fourth and we have not had crashes or some of the other abnormalities found in previous MC games.

As a point of clarification, the original designer of the MC concept, Michael Wood, is no longer able to help us as far as programming is concerned. I won't go into details.

So what we have done is seek ways to eliminate the problems with better composition of the campaign itself.

The Save system was designed by Michael also. He felt that in a Mega Campaign you should not be able to make verious saves, just a save as you go type of thing.

Some makeshift remedies have come to light, such as making a save, identifying it with a particular 8 letter name that will tell you just where you were when you saved and then moving it to another folder to keep just in case.

That has worked well for me as an alternative. I can't say that it works for everyone.

Example, in this MC, I might save the third battle of the 502d with the name 3-N-502, meaning to me 3rd Battle in Normandy of the 502nd. Then I move it, say to the save folder in the SPWAW game out of the MC save folder and continue.

This way I can keep a number of saves for various parts of the game.

This is also nice incase there were some alternate scenarios in a node or episode that I might want to go back and play.

I still feel this one will play better and be enjoyed more, simply for its layout.

WB

ETA?

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:59 pm
by Grimm
Any approximate ETA on when it will be up for pre-orders? Hours, days, weeks, <gulp> months? Thanks!

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:17 pm
by Wild Bill
I'm waiting on some sound and graphics files, Grimm. As soon as I have those, the entire package will be delivered to Matrix and David Heath. That should happen within a week.

The scenarios and texts are done. It is ready except for a few aesthetic touches.

After that is done, it is all up to Mr. Heath and Matrix. I hope it will be before the end of the month...no promise, just my wish...WB

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:46 am
by Wild Bill
As it stands now, look for a release of this Mega Campaign in November. Just in time to relive those cold but hot battles of the Bulge around Bastogne.

Some...no, a lot of excitement is ahead for you!

WB

Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:02 am
by StealthPR
Wild Bill wrote:As it stands now, look for a release of this Mega Campaign in November. Just in time to relive those cold but hot battles of the Bulge around Bastogne.

Some...no, a lot of excitement is ahead for you!

WB

great, if it is possible please email me at
predatorworld@hotmail.com

if it is released
i want buy 2 copies for me and my scottish friend and this time early....

which old MC are still available?

i am very busy and forget my own birthday sometimes...thanks

Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:04 pm
by Wild Bill
[font=Arial]I'm here Predator! How can I help you?[/font]

[font=Arial]Glad to see your enthusiasm for MC-SE. I'm playtesting it through now and I KNOW you won't be disappointed.[/font]

[font=Arial]The other MC's are available as downloads, except for Watchtower, which you can still buy on a CD. I think you can get the others on CD too, but it is a little extra.[/font]

[font=Arial]They should be listed in the products section here at Matrix.

WB
[/font]

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:40 pm
by StealthPR
Wild Bill wrote:[font=Arial]I'm here Predator! How can I help you?[/font]

[font=Arial]Glad to see your enthusiasm for MC-SE. I'm playtesting it through now and I KNOW you won't be disappointed.[/font]

[font=Arial]The other MC's are available as downloads, except for Watchtower, which you can still buy on a CD. I think you can get the others on CD too, but it is a little extra.[/font]

[font=Arial]They should be listed in the products section here at Matrix.

WB
[/font]

thanks alot

You got an email from me where i explain how the best case is for me...
definately my greatest wish is to get the MC`sas CD in the original boxes because i am collecting cult-games as a whole (i never throw a box away)

because of lack of time i am able to play the campaigns the next few years hehe...but like i said
SP is a part of my life since SP 1

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:03 pm
by Wild Bill
It is for me too, my friend. I still have SP2, SP3, SPMBT and the great SPWAW all on my computer to this day. I probably always will.

I've yet to find a game to equal what they offer in versatility, realism and just plain gaming fun.

WB

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:38 pm
by Randy
Wild Bill I think I may have you beat on this. I still have some of the original magazine articles on Steel Panthers! When the game was first reviewed I bought every comp. mag that had a review of the game. Plus I would show it to my wife hoping such a great game would be under the Chirstmas tree. I also have the original boxes including the ones for the expansion disks. Too bad the SP series isn't on the stock market!