Page 1 of 1

Suggestions

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:11 pm
by Madfritz
Hello all;

I am looking for suggestions on wargames. Its been quite a while since I've played any. Have no idea what the current state of the wargaming industry is.

What I am looking for are games that are similiar to the old World at War series.

Specifically the game should have the following features:

1) hex based
2) regiment/battalion/company level units
3) allow pbem or realtime net connection for live opponents
4) reasonable AI for single player gaming
5) have an active (lol as active as any wargaming community is these days) community for finding opponents

Basically what I am hoping is that someone has expanded and brought up to date the old World @ War type games.

Any suggestions?

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:25 pm
by Fredflak
Have you checked out Korsun Pocket?

It's a great game, hex and turn based. It's really an old style board wargame on a computer. Love it.

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:30 pm
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Hmm the list just goes on and on and on eh.

Ok lets start off with Korsun Pocket, an easy choice for the hex gamer.
On sale, and getting really good reception, looks like you want to think seriously on this one.

Then we head off to Battlefront's game Strategic Command, currently enjoying zero competition in the field of grand strategy (that's not to say there isn't anything out there, but hmm ok you can waste your money on garbage if you insist).

Korsun Pocket is operational and an eastern front setting (but comes with the Ardennes scenario as well).
Korsun Pocket enjoys some very good new features.
The AI is getting good reviews too.
I have not played Korsun Pocket yet though, but I am familiar with The Ardennes Offensive. If Korsun is an improved TAO, then it is a winner.

SC is European Grand Strategy and will appeal to a board gamer that would like a Advanced Third Reich sort of game (warning SC is not nearly as complex as A3R though).
SC is as the dollar goes, light on the wallet. It is also very new wargamer friendly.
It is also very PBEM friendly (hey that comes from a guy that has almost no PBEM experience, so you know a novice will enjoy it).

Keep an eye on the Battlefields forum here, you want to stay informed on that game. And definitely check out Airborne Assault, it might be the first real time game you will enjoy (and you got that from me remember, the last person to like real time).

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:05 pm
by Resisti
Madfritz wrote:Hello all;

I am looking for suggestions on wargames. Its been quite a while since I've played any. Have no idea what the current state of the wargaming industry is.

What I am looking for are games that are similiar to the old World at War series.

Specifically the game should have the following features:

1) hex based
2) regiment/battalion/company level units
3) allow pbem or realtime net connection for live opponents
4) reasonable AI for single player gaming
5) have an active (lol as active as any wargaming community is these days) community for finding opponents

Basically what I am hoping is that someone has expanded and brought up to date the old World @ War type games.

Any suggestions?

Just wait for CL to be out, and visit the related site, meantime, by clicking on my banner. :)

Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:41 pm
by Madfritz
Thanks for the suggestions.

CL is to tactical for me. Not really interested in micro managing individual tanks and soldiers.

The screenshots for Korsun Pocket kinda turned me off. Very "busy" looking, certainly are colorfull.

Battleline looks to be a winner though. I will have to keep an eye on this one.

Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:55 pm
by W Thorne_MatrixForum
Like Les said above check out AA (Airborne Assault). It will be available soon.

It is continuous time but can be paused. Units down to company level but you can control them through higher HQs. Gives you the option to micromanage or not.

There is a good AAR on the forum that will show you the workings of the game.