Page 1 of 1

newbie in wargames needing advices! (cross-posted from Matrix Games General Discussio

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2001 1:44 am
by jorlando

Hi! I'm a newbie in wargames... I didn't played one until SPWAW... the closest to a wargame that I was before, was when I used to play a cardboard game called WAR, that was very popular here in Brazil (very similar to the game RISK). I also don't have any military experience, so terms like OOB seem arcane to me.

Since I think to translate SPWAW to Portuguese, I'll need these terms, to correlate them to the Portuguese equivalent, and I need to learn them to play better :-)

So, in short, were can I find such type of information? There is something like a military glossary of terms and acronyms?

And what should I read to sharpen my strategic skills? I played the tutorial and managed to destroy the German forces in 13 turns... it was a decive victory, but I used more brute force than strategy, so I lost many units in the process...

I also heard that military use to play wargames to learn tatics and combat strategies... SPWAW is one of these games?

Sorry for the long post and bad English :-)

Thanks for you attention!

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2001 2:19 am
by mogami
Hi, welcome. OOB (order of Battle) a list of units involved in a combat. When I need to find info on a subject I use the internet. www.yahoo.com type in what it is you are looking for and it does a search of the web, then posts all the sites it found what you entered in. Browse them and learn. Have fun
try going to yahoo and entering "Military terms"

------------------
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a differant direction!

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2001 5:48 am
by MECH ENGINEER
Hold tight your english that bad. There a bunch of players from Brazil and all over South America on this message board. Just put out a message in Portuguese they'll be contacting you. I'm quite surprised they have not already. Check out this message board often.

------------------
"When do we get our flamethrowers, Top?"